Weight loss wardrobes

Options

Replies

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love consignment stores! Furniture and clothing! We have a clothing consignment store and a wonderful furniture consignment store about 2 miles from our house. I wear a size 9N shoe. Hard to find in most of the stores around here. But apparently, someone living in our area, also has a 9N foot. I'm guessing she must like to buy shoes and then consigns them when the "new" styles come out even though the current shoes have barely been worn. I love this person, whomever she is and I love her taste in shoes!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How wonderful to have a "shoe friend," especially because she has good taste.
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses are a loser's best friend. The complete wrap, not mock wrap.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd wardrobe from Goodwill! I don't know what I would go without them--prob wear the same 2-3 outfits all the time. Only 20 lbs left til I can start buying a "permanent " wardrobe!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say, I have lost six and a half sizes; however I am stuck. I have lost and gained the same 4 pounds since Christmas. Is is possible that I really don't want to get rid of my really pretty suits? So I'm not losing the weight. I got rid of my size 10s and 12s a long time ago. I thought I would never see those sizes. Now my size 14 wardrobe is starting to get loose in the tush and thighs. I have already given away some very beautiful size 14 pant separates.

I just graduated and am about to re-enter the workforce in a big way. I need my suits, but really - they were purchased in 2009. Almost 7 years old! and I don't know what I was thinking - I guess modesty - I didn't want dress pants that would cup my tush. So what do I have now? Size 14s that are huge in the tush & thighs, but the waist fits.

I keep trying to tell myself it is a blessing in disguise. I know how to build a wardrobe and I really know a lot more about fabrics (less hand washing & dry clean only, for sure). Moreover, I know how to buy very few items of clothing and make several outfits just by accessorizing.

Has anyone else gone through this ambivalence? How have any of you rebuilt your wardrobe?
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I kept stuff until they were ridiculously big then gave them away and bought new. The new stuff was slightly snug because had had more to go. Now I am done and most of it fits quite nicely.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I kept stuff until they were ridiculously big then gave them away and bought new. The new stuff was slightly snug because had had more to go. Now I am done and most of it fits quite nicely.

Nice accomplishment!

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I was very careful last summer and bought only enough clothes to not feel like I was wearing the same thing everyday and bought things that were pretty fitted or even a little tight. I really only wanted to lose another 10 lbs at that point. We had a long summer, into October this year and I could still wear all the new summer clothes comfortably.

Yesterday I put on a pair of last summer's shorts and they literally fell off of me. I've only lost about 4 lbs since October so this morning I tried on some of the other clothes I bought..........even the sundresses are too large. I was really surprised and hadn't realized how much my body has changed the last several months.

The good news is I get to plan another shopping trip, the bad news is I think I better wait until after the wedding because we're spending quite enough money right now.....LOL
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hope you are keeping tabs on your Mother of the Bride dress...wouldn't want any wardrobe malfunctions on the big day.
  • luluinca
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    Hope you are keeping tabs on your Mother of the Bride dress...wouldn't want any wardrobe malfunctions on the big day.

You're right.........I better try it on again.......I bought the larger of the 2 sizes that fit because I thought it just looked a little better on me but maybe that was a mistake. I found another dress at Nordstrom's I really like but costs about 3 X as much.........lol
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I went to a wedding where the mother of the bride and I had the same top on. So I told her she had very good taste. She was beaming until she saw that I had the same top, but in a different color - lol. It was my former sister in-law.
  • luluinca
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    I went to a wedding where the mother of the bride and I had the same top on. So I told her she had very good taste. She was beaming until she saw that I had the same top, but in a different color - lol. It was my former sister in-law.

Hah..........that's pretty funny! Maybe I should buy the other dress at Nordstrom's so I have a backup!!!! ;)
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I once picked out a silver velvet mini dress for a winter wedding (I was MUCH younger then!!). Changed my mind at the last minute and wore something else...can't remember what now. Good thing, though....the BRIDE was wearing my minidress!!!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Hah..........that's pretty funny! Maybe I should buy the other dress at Nordstrom's so I have a backup!!!! ;)

Go for it !

• E_Brault
    Options
    I once picked out a silver velvet mini dress for a winter wedding (I was MUCH younger then!!). Changed my mind at the last minute and wore something else...can't remember what now. Good thing, though....the BRIDE was wearing my minidress!!!

Holy cow!

• E_Brault
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

You're right.........I better try it on again.......I bought the larger of the 2 sizes that fit because I thought it just looked a little better on me but maybe that was a mistake. I found another dress at Nordstrom's I really like but costs about 3 X as much.........lol

Lulu will you be putting up pics on your MFP board? I would get off my iPhone and onto my laptop for that !

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I lost 214 pounds and thrift stores and consignment shops were my friends. I gave away the clothes as soon as they became big so I'd have nothing to wear if I gained and also because I knew I'd want different styles when I was thinner. I still have a problem (after many, many years) with body image and when I go to get new clothes I have to try them on or I'll buy sizes way to big for me because I can't believe the proper size is really me. (LOL)
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I have gotten rid of a bunch of larger blouses, bathing suits, and shorts. My friend is super happy with the gently used clothes.

I can't believe the urgency with which I am getting rid of the clothes. I still have a few clothes that only remind me of the horrible experience of menopause and the run away weight gain. The clothes are inexpensive and shoddy, but I am afraid of having nothing left to wear. I am trying to cycle through the clothes I own and then only buy clothing I love - a few pieces at a time.

I should get rid of the ugly clothes, right?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Took them out of my closet anyway! Now they are hidden in a guest room closet.
  • luluinca
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    I have gotten rid of a bunch of larger blouses, bathing suits, and shorts. My friend is super happy with the gently used clothes.

I can't believe the urgency with which I am getting rid of the clothes. I still have a few clothes that only remind me of the horrible experience of menopause and the run away weight gain. The clothes are inexpensive and shoddy, but I am afraid of having nothing left to wear. I am trying to cycle through the clothes I own and then only buy clothing I love - a few pieces at a time.

I should get rid of the ugly clothes, right?

Absolutely get rid of them!