Just Starting This Group

Options
2»

Replies

• susupiet
    susupiet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this group on here. I have been LCHF (more LC than HF!) for a few years now and have recently added IF. I'm 16:8 so far, but 18:6 doesn't seem too far off. Within the last 6 months I've become more active. I have MS so HIIT and the like aren't for me, but I do yoga and aqua aerobics 5 days a week. Adding IF seems to have made a difference- even though it's only been 1 week!
    Someone mentioned 150g of carbs (!) and I do know that, from what I've read, things are very different between men and women. For me just typing 150g of carbs has made me gain weight! I'm VERY carb sensitive. (I try to keep it under 20g/day....NET, so I subtract fiber...from veg only- I am grain-free) Anyhow, I believe the reason IF is starting to work for me is from the resetting of my (46 y/o) hormones!
    Hopefully we'll all see great results!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 years young myself! I don't really count carbs right now. If I hit a wall and stop dropping, I might look into it. Aqua aerobics sound fun. I love the water. lol Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Glad you're here susupiet. I can't wait to here if IF has positive affects on your MS. There is so much research about the positive affects of IF aside from weight loss. Good l luck on your journey and keep us posted.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    leomakarov wrote: »
    I don't see how carbs have ANYTHING to do with intermittent fasting . It's the calorie intake that is the primary focus. There was a study done (year?) that a guy ate twinkies and other high carb foods and still lost weight. Again, low carb, high carb, it doesn't really matter as long as calorie count is low.

See here : Twinky Experiment

At 1600 calories intake per day, about 150g of carbs must be consumed for a healthy weight loss. I use this as a guideline: Calculator

How are the MFP defaults counter-productive ?

You do not want to take in too few of calories because your body will adapt and your metabolism will slow down unless you do a protein sparing modified fast, where most of your calories come from protein. Also, you want to lift weights if you are restricting calories because otherwise the weight you are loosing will be a lot of muscle as well as fat and water.

The amount and type of carbs you take in makes a huge difference in weight loss because of your body's insulin response. When you take in simple carbs your insulin levels spike. This is what a lot of bodybuilders want and why they inject insulin, for an insulin spike, but for those of us who do not want to have gh gut and die a early death this is not advised. Insulin ferrys glycogen to the muscles and liver, which is good for building muscle, but when these stores are full they transform the glycogen into adipose tissue, which is bad. If you time your insulin spikes for after you work out there is an anabolic window of about 30 minutes where your insulin sensitivity is increased and your muscles absorb the glycogen well and you do not have to worry about gaining fat.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here and just starting IF 16:8. I'm 37 and started MFP a year ago, but only got serious in January. My total weight loss so far is 46 pounds, and my goal is to release another 30. I have a friend who has been doing Primal lifestyle for a couple of years, and I've been easing into it guess, although I don't see myself ever being super strict with it. I've been doing HFLC since the beginning of the year, and I'm loving it. I'm fairly relaxed with it though compared to many. I try to maintain 75-100 net carbs and I do eat things that are generally considered off limits. I just restrict my portions. IF is the next step, so I started today after months of hearing info from my experienced friend and doing some research of my own.
    So, day 1...I'm feeling great so far. I was super productive this morning and full of energy. Did 30 minutes of intense cardio followed by an 800 calorie meal. So far, so good!
  • ma5y
    ma5y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this group. Thank you for starting it.
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love this group! I'm only on week 2 but here is my protocol: Mon(weight training) IF 16:8, Tue(rest day) 24hr with 600 cal dinner, Wed(HIIT) IF 16:8, Thur(rest day) IF 16:8, Fri(weight training) IF 16:8, Weekends focus on moderation with HIIT on Saturday and a long run on Sunday.

Recently I've decided to throw out the standard playbook. Ex. eat small meal through out the day, carb load, high protein blah blah blah...I've been doing that for years without decent result.

I'm throwing my bias ("fat is the devil") away and starting the LCHF with this protocol.

Great to meet everyone, I've enjoyed reading the feed! Please add me, ill gladly except!!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hope you are enjoying LCHF. I'll be interested to hear how to like combining LCHF with IF and how you feel in your workouts.