Resources for Weight and interval training after bariatric surgery?

Options
sinderstorm
sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
I've started working out with a personal trainer for the last month. She's slightly concerned about increasing my weight intensity and starting interval training with me while I'm still consistently eating below my Basal Metabolic rate, which per their lean mass/fat/muscle mass calculating machine is around 1490 cals per day. I'm currently eating 1200-1300 calories a day, with 80-100g of protein. I'm her first bariatric patient, and am 10 months post sleeve surgery.

I've emailed my surgeon's office, but was wondering if anyone here had some resources I can forward to her. She's thrilled to be working with me, and I'm loving working with her, she's just concerned about possibly hurting me due to my decreased calorie intake as we up our intensity and start changing up my workouts.

Thoughts?

Replies

• blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you aren't *that* far off from calorie goals and you are above protein needs. If you feel like you can do more, I'd do it. Your body will give you some good clues if you are overdoing it. Watch out for dizziness, lethargy, muscle soreness that doesn't go away after a few days and not seeing improvement over a decent period of time. It's likely that if you need more calories, your body will signal that with some hunger cues - even small ones. Adding a good carb as a snack - a cup of fortified cereal and a banana for instance - can get you the energy you need. My concern would only be if you were trying to do something intense on too few carbs or not enough protein to support it, not the final calorie count. I'm not supposed to snack, but on weight days and sometimes the day after I do because it's what my body needs.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    YES! Tell her to consult with Tosha Knopp at Barifit.com certified sports nutritionist and bariatric patient - she's amazing!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Agree with Blairmundy - if you feel good do it! Be sure to keep protein in your system. You might want to add a a small amount of carbs before or right after workouts (I'd eat half a banana). Stay hydrated. I've been pushing myself pretty hard in the gym, and with weights, since a few months post op and have really enjoyed it and seen great results.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My nurse at the surgeons' office finally got back to us as she was out last week. She sent us this article, that while pretty technical, I thought was interesting enough to post for those who are interested in jumping down the food/nutrition/exercise rabbit hole with me.
    http://bariatrictimes.com/nutritional-management-of-the-bariatric-athlete/
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article! Good discussion of the needs and uses of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Thanks for posting the link!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You will need to increase those calories as your activity increases and it will vary based on what type of activity you are doing. It will also depend on if you are still looking to lose or are in maintenance. You really need to see how your body responds and adjust as needed. As you build muscle, your body will burn more calories. I agree that Tosha Knopp at bari-fit is an excellent resource.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the article - that was very interesting. I know for me, I found as soon as I started working out with the trainer (body weight exercises, lifting/resistance) I got hungrier! I knew it was my body asking for my fuel and I was able to eat more which is all good. The weight is still coming off despite some dietary indiscretions, and I'm seeing muscle tone all over the place since beginning in mid-November. I think the hardest thing for me is the hydration piece. It's tough to get enough water in. I have to say I feel SO much better working out 3x/week with the weights and running about 1x week!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Working out really hard requires energy. Calories are a measure of energy. Fat is stored energy. If you have excess fat, you have plenty of stored energy for working out, so you do not need to eat more. You may want to, but you don't need to.

I never ate back a single exercise calorie. Get the excess weight off as quickly as you can. The more you eat while trying to lose, the lower the chances are that you'll ever get to goal.