Change your biology diet

Options
Anyone else doing change your biology diet by Dr. Louis Aronne? It is high protein, low carb, healthy fat. Carbs are eaten at end of meal and end of day to prevent surge of insulin and fat storage. Great science related to metabolic syndrome and effects of hormones related to visceral fat. It is not ketogenic and most fruit is allowed (2 serving day). I feel great and have lost 3 pounds first week. I did Atkins years ago and felt terrible and was really MEAN. No irritability with this one.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful start! Congratulations!

I haven't heard of this particular diet, but if I had to describe what the last year has brought me would be a change in biology! But sorry, no I've never heard of it, so can't comment it.

Finding what works for you is key! I look forward to your continued success! :smiley:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    @rddennison

Please keep us posted here about your success as time passes, i've been doing the basic LC/HF here since since about 1/5/2016 and feel i'm having excellent results. Have not been eating fruit as i want to remain in ketosis.
    It looks like you've found something that you like and that you can live with--for the long term.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rddennison wrote: »
    Anyone else doing change your biology diet by Dr. Louis Aronne? It is high protein, low carb, healthy fat. Carbs are eaten at end of meal and end of day to prevent surge of insulin and fat storage. Great science related to metabolic syndrome and effects of hormones related to visceral fat. It is not ketogenic and most fruit is allowed (2 serving day). I feel great and have lost 3 pounds first week. I did Atkins years ago and felt terrible and was really MEAN. No irritability with this one.

Wow you are fast. Looks like his book on his diet was published 06 Jan. Great it is working for you and so quick. Sounds like some fab nurtritional science shared in the book.

My understanding is the diet Dr. Aronne recommends is a modified Mediterranean/low refined-carb diet which puts carbs at end of meal and end of day timing. Many folk here have very few carbs, if any, so we are quite similar in approach. Love to hear what you learn and how it goes for you. Success!!
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something you enjoy and is working for you. Keep us updated on how it goes and good luck!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yes we would love to hear more! Sounds like something I would be interested for maintenance.
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Kentuckybirdlover Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes, it is a modified Mediterranean diet with low refined carbs but it is nice to have some fruit. It is high protein, which is why I thought this message board might be helpful to me. The first week we are eating two high protein shakes/day and one meal with two snacks. It is somewhat like the induction phase of Atkins. Yes, the science in the book is amazing. I am a nurse and my husband is a physician and we were amazed by the new science but also the relatively old science (glycemic index) that was supported. The insulin response to carbs are the reason for carbs at end of meal. I am just keeping carbs really low but I did enjoy a pear yesterday. I joined MFP a long time ago but it just seemed too much trouble but now I am loving the interaction between my FitBit charge and MFP! I do appreciate the support of the community.
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Options
    Dr. Louis Aronne: The Change Your Biology Diet. I would put the amazon link here but I am not sure that is allowed - new to the board.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Are shakes just for the first week?
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Options
    Yes, two a day then one a day for the next 2 weeks and then whenever to replace a meal. He has specific recommendations regarding the protein shakes: less than 200 calories, at least 20 grams of protein, and less than 20 grams of carbohydrates. He recommends putting ground flax seeds or ground chia seeds to increase the fiber in the shakes if constipation is a problem (and when is it not when reducing carbs). I personally look for sugar alcohols because my gut does not tolerate them at all. That is the problem that I have with many of the Atkins products - too much sugar alcohol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @rddennison Just curious what your macro split is?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, two a day then one a day for the next 2 weeks and then whenever to replace a meal. He has specific recommendations regarding the protein shakes: less than 200 calories, at least 20 grams of protein, and less than 20 grams of carbohydrates. He recommends putting ground flax seeds or ground chia seeds to increase the fiber in the shakes if constipation is a problem (and when is it not when reducing carbs). I personally look for sugar alcohols because my gut does not tolerate them at all. That is the problem that I have with many of the Atkins products - too much sugar alcohol.

Eating the packaged Atkins products doesn't often work for most people. The majority of us here don't eat those things. High protein isn't really a low carb thing either. High fat is.
    You may have felt bad on Atkins before because of electrolyte loss. Many learned the hard way about the increased needs for sodium upon going low carb. It will make you feel pretty bad. And trying low carb, high protein and lower fat, would probably make a person pretty grumpy too
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I started what I called a LC but is now very different 8 months later. There is so many variations & macro splits within the category of LC. This is why I love LC as we can all find what works for our own body, lifestyle, tastes etc and make it a long term lifestyle.

@rddennison hope you have found a woe you can slot into.
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Options
    Just curious what your macro split is?

I wish I could find guidance about this in the book. He does not specify. It is low-glycemic carbs but not necessarily restriction of good carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Everyone is welcome here, even if you have a higher carb macro split than most of us. Personally, I average around 75% fat and 25% protein (give or take 10% in either direction). I don't eat any carbs, so that macro is typically 0%. It might be higher than 0% if I eat a bunch of eggs or cheese, but those aren't really normal foods for me.

We also don't worry so much about percentages, just total grams. There's not "hard" upper limit on what we consider low-carb, as long as you're actively working to control your carb intake in some form. Considering that you've moved the carbs to the end of the meal, which will likely lead to less consumed due to the fact that you're eating protein and fat as the priority, you'll likely naturally fall into the range most here would consider low carb.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I wish I could find guidance about this in the book. He does not specify. It is low-glycemic carbs but not necessarily restriction of good carbs.

I guess weighing and logging everything will be the only way to know for sure.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this book before but I am intrigued; might have to check it out! Welcome and thanks for sharing about the research.
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Options

Yes. I will tell you that I have 40% protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs set as my goals right now. I am sure that is too much carb for most people on this board but I am only eating 2 fruits/day and no refined carb. I will adjust as I follow the diet guidelines and figure out what my actual distribution is. Today is a new week and I took off 3.2 lbs, not hungry, and not irritable. Good so far.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Yes. I will tell you that I have 40% protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs set as my goals right now. I am sure that is too much carb for most people on this board but I am only eating 2 fruits/day and no refined carb. I will adjust as I follow the diet guidelines and figure out what my actual distribution is. Today is a new week and I took off 3.2 lbs, not hungry, and not irritable. Good so far.

The percentages don't mean a whole lot without knowing your caloric intake, but even at 30%, while it's on the higher end, it's not unheard of around here.

Like @FIT_Goat said, there's no hard limit for what we consider "low carb," but the number we provide to give some perspective is that 150g or fewer carbs is generally considered "low carb." 150g is actually where your 40/30/30 macro split would be if you were consuming 2000 calories. :)

I will warn you that your plan is lower fat than what is generally recommended around here, largely because most of us that are more vocal tend toward the higher fat end of the low carb spectrum, because we've found higher fat tends to work better, especially if one is trying to keep carbs really low, so there's a good chance that troubleshooting threads will include recommendations to increase fats. There are, however, a fair number of people who are higher protein, so you're not alone in your way of eating.

And yes, please keep us posted on how this works out for you! I'd like to fill out the Launch Pad's "different types of low carb plans" section, since right now, it is very low carb, high fat heavy.
  • Kentuckybirdlover
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support! My calories are 1270 and I am considerably less than 150 grams of CHO and really trying to avoid sugars except in my two allowed fruits/day. I banned high fructose corn syrup about two years ago but need to go farther and it seems that it is only possible by avoiding any processed foods. As someone else said, staying on the outside of the grocery store. BTW, I got scolded yesterday for only being at 930 for the day. I skipped my second protein shake because full of carrots and celery. I need to be sure to get both of the shakes in today. I am blending them with the oikos triple zero yogurt so they don't taste so much like powdered milk and that makes each shake 39 grams of protein because that yogurt has 15 grams of protein.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight?