Newbie with a problem :(

Options
manuka99
manuka99 Posts: 13 Member
Hi ladies,

Hello, I'm new to MFP; started logging about a month ago. I'm in the healthy weight range but would like to trim my flab a bit. So I thought this group might be just what I'm looking for ;)

I am trying to eat no more than my daily allowance of (initially 1,480, no cut it down to) 1,450 calories although I often end up eating more than that. (I made my diary public, have a look if you like). I didn't really change my diet that much; it is mostly vegetarian. I take some supplements as well.

I don't log my sports. I run about every other day at about 6mph for ~30 minutes. About 3 days a week I do acrobatics or acrobatic dancing (2-2.5 hours). I have usually 1 rest day per week.

I fast between 14-18 hours (usually overnight) on two to three days a week (started with 2/week, recently 3/week). I found that relatively easy, i.e., I didn't notice any health problems related to that.

I cannot really tell how much progress I'm making because I don't have scales to track my weight. I didn't notice any significant flab loss yet. I've been tracking my waist but this is fluctuating so much I cannot see a trend. I don't mind this too much, though.

The only thing that REALLY worries me is that my period has disappeared. I haven't had a period since November. This is unusual for me; I used to have very light but very regular periods (I'm on the pill -- or rather was, I stopped taking it in December). I took a pregnancy test, to be on the safe side (it was negative).

Maybe one of you has made a similar experience? Do have any idea on what might be the reason for my problem? Would you advise me to see a doc?

Thanks so much in advance. And enjoy your weekend! :)

Replies

• manuka99
    Options
    Forgot to add: I'm 28 years, f, 5'3''/160cm, weight I'd guess around 55kg (121lbs).
  • mariehh2015
    mariehh2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an iron test. If it is low, could explain your concern.
  • aimeerhiannon
    aimeerhiannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doc/obgyn/etc, it doesn't sound like your weight is so low that your period should've disappeared, although I would advise logging exercise as it sounds like you are doing enough that you need to eat back some ex. calories - could be related but probably not
  • manuka99
    Options
    Hi both,
    Thanks for your replies :-)
    @mariehh2015, I started taking iron supps two weeks, hope it'll help.
    @aimeerhiannon, yeah, I guess I'll ring my gp tomorrow. I haven't found estimates for the sorts of sports I'm doing online (except for the running, of course, but I don't run that much anyways), so I don't think I can log it ...
    Cheers all
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Or it might be entirely unrelated to weight loss or exercise. My periods stopped while I was on the pill no matter how low the dose. My doctors assured me it was not a problem and I rather appreciated not having the inconvenience! There is also research to suggest that the lack of a period may reduce one's risk of uterine cancer. I'd say, get it checked out and then count your blessings!
  • manuka99
    Options
    Thanks lagoscarrie that's a nice prospect I'd say. I now got an appointment for Thu. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious... you can find ugly diseases when searching for causes online!
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    manuka99 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Hello, I'm new to MFP; started logging about a month ago. I'm in the healthy weight range but would like to trim my flab a bit. So I thought this group might be just what I'm looking for ;)

I am trying to eat no more than my daily allowance of (initially 1,480, no cut it down to) 1,450 calories although I often end up eating more than that. (I made my diary public, have a look if you like). I didn't really change my diet that much; it is mostly vegetarian. I take some supplements as well.

I don't log my sports. I run about every other day at about 6mph for ~30 minutes. About 3 days a week I do acrobatics or acrobatic dancing (2-2.5 hours). I have usually 1 rest day per week.

I fast between 14-18 hours (usually overnight) on two to three days a week (started with 2/week, recently 3/week). I found that relatively easy, i.e., I didn't notice any health problems related to that.

I cannot really tell how much progress I'm making because I don't have scales to track my weight. I didn't notice any significant flab loss yet. I've been tracking my waist but this is fluctuating so much I cannot see a trend. I don't mind this too much, though.

The only thing that REALLY worries me is that my period has disappeared. I haven't had a period since November. This is unusual for me; I used to have very light but very regular periods (I'm on the pill -- or rather was, I stopped taking it in December). I took a pregnancy test, to be on the safe side (it was negative).

Maybe one of you has made a similar experience? Do have any idea on what might be the reason for my problem? Would you advise me to see a doc?

Thanks so much in advance. And enjoy your weekend! :)

The amenorrhea could be down to a few things. Post-pill amenorrhea is quite common, as it can take your body some time to adjust to getting in a regular cycle on it's own again. This is exacerbated if you've been on it for a long time. If it goes on for longer than 6 months, then you will probably want to get it checked out.
    There has been some evidence to suggest that intermittent fasting can interfere with women's hormones. Normally it's recommended that if you're going to do it, start with 14 hour fasts and gradually increase length, monitoring changes as you go. You also seem to be doing quite a lot of cardio exercise which would have a high calorie burn. It might be worth checking your BMR and TDEE and see if you need to adjust your calorie intake (and possibly eat more). Women are particularly sensitive to low food intake and over-exercising as our bodies are obviously looking for the ideal environment for pregnancy. If we make less than ideal circumstances, ie through low intake, the body might halt fertility.

As for the flab, consider weight training. Cardio is good for burn, but weight training will boost your metabolism and add some tone.
  • manuka99
    Options
    Hi all :)
    I saw a nurse on Thursday and they said it's probably just that I'm off the pill since Dec. Apparently it takes up to 6 months to get your period back after you stop taking it. So spot on, katnoir1!
    As for your other points, yes, I did trial IF before fully committing to it; that was in November. I started with 14 hours. I use the calorie intake recommendation by MFP based on my activity level and double checked that with some online calculators. I thought this is sufficient, would you disagree?
    I think that the acrobatics is strength training enough ;)
    Best wishes!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It took 3 years for my period to come back.
  • manuka99
    Options
    Oh dear! Did you get any treatment? How long had you been taking the pill before?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd been on BC for about 10 years. Finally saw an endocrinologist. He told me to gain 5lbs. It worked. So not positive if it was because of coming off BC or being underweight.
  • manuka99
    Options
    That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.