Oh dear, I gots me that silly keto rash.

Options
And it's damn itchy! The almighty Internet has given many solutions to rid my precious body of this itchy devil, but I don't want to take medication. The only other compelling solution was to increase my carbs. If the keto sticks aren't reliable, how can I increase my carbs and not be kicked out of ketosis?

I'm going into my 4th week, have lost 70lbs, and have generally been at a 75/20/5 split. There have been several days where my net carbs have been below 10g and only a couple where they went up to 23g.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I never heard of keto rash? A rash that occurs during keto might not be caused by keto? I've been keto for 14 months. I have a terrible rash yesterday and today, but I'm sure it's not a keto rash?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, apply coconut oil in place of lotion, stay where your carbs are, and just keep on. It balances out within a couple weeks. Also, washing frequently followed by liberal application of coconut oil helps, too, because basically, as your body is burning fat, at lot is released in our exhaled breath and in our sweat. This is part of what causes the reaction.

I've endured this twice now (because I ridiculously took almost a month off around Xmas and wish to heavens I hadn't!)...and it eases up pretty quick. Up your fats and sodium and make sure you're getting tons of water. I promise it gets better.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. Hmm. 70 pounds in four weeks though?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of keto rash, odd.
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Honestly, apply coconut oil in place of lotion, stay where your carbs are, and just keep on. It balances out within a couple weeks. Also, washing frequently followed by liberal application of coconut oil helps, too, because basically, as your body is burning fat, at lot is released in our exhaled breath and in our sweat. This is part of what causes the reaction.

I've endured this twice now (because I ridiculously took almost a month off around Xmas and wish to heavens I hadn't!)...and it eases up pretty quick. Up your fats and sodium and make sure you're getting tons of water. I promise it gets better.

Like washing the area more than once a day? I shower ever day, but I haven't been cleaning the rash more than that. I tried tea tree oil, no effect other than making me nauseated with the smell! I got most of my info from "theketorash" website. Thanks for the tip @KnitOrMiss , aka my saviour!

@dietbepsi omg. I did write that didn't I? lol. My daughter has had the flu for 7 days, I've slept about 3-5 hours a night since it began. I meant 7lbs :smile:
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh good lol! I was like, dang I'm really doing something wrong!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Like washing the area more than once a day? I shower ever day, but I haven't been cleaning the rash more than that. I tried tea tree oil, no effect other than making me nauseated with the smell! I got most of my info from "theketorash" website. Thanks for the tip @KnitOrMiss , aka my saviour!

@dietbepsi omg. I did write that didn't I? lol. My daughter has had the flu for 7 days, I've slept about 3-5 hours a night since it began. I meant 7lbs :smile:

Yes, if you're burning fat pretty steadily, which it sounds like you are, you'd probably want to get a super gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil or something non soapy, non stripping)...that way you can clean it more than once a day. You *can* cleanse with coconut oil, but I don't know the logistics of that - has to do with rubbing and wiping though, so on a rash might not be awesome.

Also, check your shower cleansers - body wash, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. I looked into co-washing (washing with conditioner only 90% of the time), and one of the things it talks about is the effects on your face and skin from when the chemicals rinse off of your body. BLECH!

And I DESPISE WITH A PASSION tea tree oil. And if you didn't cut it with a carrier oil, it can cause skin irritation on it's own. Shea butter is another great moisturizer, but it doesn't have the natural "anti" benefits coconut oil has... Aloe vera (from a leaf or pure extract) might help, too, but some have reactions to that, too...

I remember doing a bunch of research when I developed my rash, too, but anecdotal recommendations ended up working better for my sensitive skin... aka witchazel for sunburn to neutralize the irritation/inflammation - and coconut oil to soothe and heal it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love love love coconut oil for everything skin related. I used to sell high end cosmetics and skin creams at $200 a jar and as an employee I got enough free stuff that I always used it and I loved it!
    I don't work there anymore and I thought I'd always miss the stuff because I can't afford it. But, I actually have given away most of what I have left because I just use coconut oil for everything now. Makeup remover, face and body moisturizer, hair treatment... Everything! My skin is better now than it ever was using those expensive creams!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »

Hehe I nearly fell off my chair when I read the 70lbs :lol:
    I love love love coconut oil for everything skin related. I used to sell high end cosmetics and skin creams at $200 a jar and as an employee I got enough free stuff that I always used it and I loved it!
    I don't work there anymore and I thought I'd always miss the stuff because I can't afford it. But, I actually have given away most of what I have left because I just use coconut oil for everything now. Makeup remover, face and body moisturizer, hair treatment... Everything! My skin is better now than it ever was using those expensive creams!

Man, I wish coconut oil worked on my skin. If i put it on my face I will break out within a day or two, and if I put it on my body I will end up with incredibly dry scaly skin, literally dry flakes of skin will fall off :confounded: So now I use it to take off mascara and as a hair treatment once a week, which it works wonderfully for.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Since starting Keto, I've gotten a couple of small rashes on my stomach area. I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste and they clear right up within the next day or two. That stuff is great. I even use it as a face moisturizer if my skin gets too dry in the winter.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »

Hehe I nearly fell off my chair when I read the 70lbs :lol:

Man, I wish coconut oil worked on my skin. If i put it on my face I will break out within a day or two, and if I put it on my body I will end up with incredibly dry scaly skin, literally dry flakes of skin will fall off :confounded: So now I use it to take off mascara and as a hair treatment once a week, which it works wonderfully for.

When I worked in skin care we learned that sometimes having a breakout just happens upon changing skin care. It's not necessarily the product doing it, but the adjustment period. And sometimes dry skin would loosen and appear to be worse because of stimulating the skin to release dry surface skin... Again until an adjustment period of about a month went by. Really good moisturizing at night is even more beneficial than daytime. And it's not surprising for me to find out that coconut oil, rather lauric acid specifically, is a very common ingredient in high end skin care. Along with Oleic acid... We just pay lots and lots more for it to packaged up real pretty and have some junk chemicals added.
    Lauric acid is highly anti bacterial, and oil is good for the skin. A lot of facial breakouts occur due to dry skin cells being unable to separate like they are supposed to. So they get irritated and an infection develops. This often happens upon first supplying proper moisture until the renewal cycle becomes healthier. Most people feel like their skin is too oily and blame the oil. But your skin is trying to moisturize itself by secreting more oil. Then we go and use oil removing products... It perpetuates an endless cycle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Great info, thankyou @Sunny_Bunny_ you're like a little encyclopedia. I might try it again, and give it more time this time..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Great info, thankyou @Sunny_Bunny_ you're like a little encyclopedia. I might try it again, and give it more time this time..

Lol. I'm just a jack of all trades. I've done a lot of different work in my years. lol
    And of course there's my personal interests too. :wink:
    I hope that's all it is for you. But to be honest, in my experience with others that saw it through, it almost always was. Especially is true in women over 35-ish.
  • workathomemama
    Options

I've begun applying coconut oil to the rash areas. God, I hope they stop popping up in other areas. I'll see what happens. Any suggestions on something I can do about the itch?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I've begun applying coconut oil to the rash areas. God, I hope they stop popping up in other areas. I'll see what happens. Any suggestions on something I can do about the itch?

Apply Witch Hazel first to kill the sting/itch/irritation/inflammation (soak a cotton ball and let sit on area, etc.). Let dry. Then apply coconut oil. I know it works really well for sunburn and the sting/heat as well as the itchy crap once it starts healing.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Maybe some aloe or lidocaine to numb it a bit?
    I always found those sunburn relief sprays to be pretty great at itch relief without resorting to steroid containing creams.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When a person changes their eating habits drastically, the gut flora/microbiota will also change drastically. Especially if a person stops eating gluten and sugar. There will be a "die off" of the pathogens/bad gut flora. Especially candida and there are some others. Candida thrives on sugar. The resultant die off will release toxins, the liver cannot cleanse fast enough, and you may get a rash.

This also happens when a person starts eating too much fermented foods too fast. You can YouTube search:

Candida Die Off Rash

You can find some remedies there also.

It will go away. Give it some time.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • workathomemama
    Options
    Thanks everybody!