Back Again.....

Options
wrazz71
wrazz71 Posts: 1 Member
Hi all...gonna try this again, hoping to stick with it this time. I know that MFP works because I always start out great, I lose about 10 pounds then get lazy and slack on both diet and exercise. I would like to lose about 25 pounds this time and am looking for friends to keep me accountable and to keep this journey interesting:) i am married with 3 kids 16, 13 and 6. I live in Minnesota and right now it is -4 degrees outside...that makes exercise all that much harder. I have an exercise bike in the house but I am thinking about joining the community center soon. Any thoughts on exercising at home versus a gym? Happy Losing!!

Replies

• SpclK1106
    SpclK1106 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am the same way... I lose what I set out for, then I get lazy, especially with logging in what I eat. I live in CT, we've been having decent weather, but today is windy and cold, so I can relate. It's way easier to work out when it's not so dark and cold out. Looking forward to spring already! I think for me, home workouts are easier because I don't have any time to spare, so I can almost get a whole workout done, in the amount of time it takes to get to the gym. But when I was single without kids, I was always at the gym. I have a treadmill and elliptical at home, plus I do Jillian DVD's these days. Here's to hoping we both stick with it this time! Cheers.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I find it is more effective to go to the gym as you can vary your routine, classes, weights, yoga etc. I usually am too tired in the evening to work out after working during the day and looking after the kids at night. Finding something you like too do is also important as it allows you to stick to it longer. Keeping track of it here on MFP also helps.
  • honeybee1996
    honeybee1996 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Same. Not quite 40 yet. Almost 39. Not looking forward to going in to my 40's fat.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 with 2 sons (8 and 11). I absolutely love the gym and did NROL4W 3 years ago. I really enjoyed being able to go to the gym and use all the weights that they had, the squat rack, etc...

But right now I just can't make that commitment, so I work out at home. I have a step, dumbells, a 25lbs bar and a chin-up bar. I use the Wii and XBOX for Zumba and step classes along with a HRM to make sure I push my HR to where it should be.

I think that gym vs home depends on your schedule and your motivation. I live in Quebec, Canada and it is too cold right now to do much outside (even the dog doesn't last long at -25°C despite her fur!). Working out at home allows me some flexibility in that I can work out right after dropping off the kids at school, or around lunch time, or an hour before I pick up the kids from school. I work from home so except from some set teleconferences with my colleagues, my schedule is flexible. I found that if I didn't go straight to the gym after dropping off the kids then it was very hard to get my butt out the door mid-day.

I fully agree with Kcpond in that you need to find something that works for YOU and that may mean different things at different times of the year or change with time.

If your kids have an XBOX that can stream YouTube (or any other device that let's you stream on your TV) you have access to Zumba classes, yoga classes, Pilates classes, Bootcamp classes, the variety is endless. You can at least poke around the different styles and figure out what you like. It works but for heavy lifting you probably won't be able to beat the gym for a workout since it would be $$$ to equip yourself with a full range of weights and equipment.

I'm also looking for MFP friends to keep me motivated so please feel free to send me a FR if you want :)
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on many factors- gym/home...I do both home and gym/studio workouts.

Since I work from home, I need to be around quite a bit, which sometimes makes a gym visit hectic. For me, mixing it up has helped me come back from injury- and make things less boring. I run inside on treadmill on bad weather days, run/walk outside when it's nice, and go to a reformer Pilates studio 3x a week for good ol' core work. I also pop into a neighborhood specialty gym for other cardio/weights. Variety keeps me injury-free and interested. When I'm fit, I'm happy...

Check-out your neighborhood community center/gym and do a trial membership, if they offer. Other days get on your bike at home and crank up music or watch Netflix. When it rains, I do some monster workouts b/c I'm watching something crazy-good.

You can do both!

• cincisk8r
    cincisk8r Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Please add me, I love new friends :)<3 XOXO