Ice Cream Addiction

Options
dcc56
dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
I posted this to my friends but thought I should post it here too.
I know I am not alone in this.

Finished the last of the ice cream at home last night, I guess I competely lack self control with this food. When I had my surgery I gave up drinking soda or "pop" as we call it here...I used to drink Diet Coke. Anything with bubbles was prohibited post surgery due to possible complications. I did just fine giving that up, it was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I have not had much with bubbles since May 2014 except for once when I had an upset stomach I allowed myself to have a couple sips of Diet Sierra Mist to settle my stomach. And I guess I've had a couple beers but not many. (prefer wine lately) Since I can't seem to control myself when it comes to ice cream I think I need to give that up too. It is nearly like a drug to me....and I'm addicted. I need to give it up and only have it on special occasions. I can't buy a carton of it and have it at home because there is no such thing as portion control when it comes to ice cream. I've tried just about every way I can think of to try to tame this addicting food and nothing works. For example, if I buy single serving ice cream bars...I end up having two...it is just not going to work for me. I want fitness and muscles more than I want ice cream. I've just got to keep repeating that statement to myself over and over. I think it is good to admit my lack of self control with this food and give it up and move on. Wish me luck. I think it is going to be worse than many other things I have given up. We shall see. Have a good day.

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am not an ice cream fan-- but I can see how it is very easy to eat lots of it. Talk about a "slider" food-- it goes right to liquid as soon as it melts, so I bet you could eat a TON before you feel full!

Here is my experience...the more "forbidden" a food is, the more I want it. If I allow myself to have it, BUT (and this part is super important) make sure I am paying attention when I eat--I find I eat less. By "paying attention" I mean, no eating in front of the TV or computer. I am sitting at the table, with my serving of whatever (ice cream, cake, etc.) and I am really attending to what I am doing. I eat slowly, and with each bite, decide if I want to have more. I don't know if this is the case for you, but when I eat this way, I find that after 4 or 5 bites, whatever I am eating goes from tasting fantastic to just "meh". Makes it easier to stop eating. It also makes it easier for me to have just one serving if I know I can have more if I really want it (much of the time, I do not want it).

^^^^THIS^^^^ works if the reason you are overeating has to do with feeling deprived, or with eating mindlessly. It does NOT work if you are eating due to stress or some other emotion you are trying to quell with food. I am an "old hat" at stress eating-- and when I do, it has nothing to do with how food tastes. I am eating to get to a certain level of "numb" (any other folks who eat sugar for this effect will know what I am talking about here).

Best of luck! :)
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I will not buy ice cream for the house, once in a while I will find some in the freezer, I look at my husband and shake my head...., but it is his and I won't touch it. But what I will do is occasionally go to TCBY and get a small cup of frozen yogurt and that usually helps with the craving. What I do find interesting is that I don't crave it as much as did. Good luck to you!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have always loved ice cream - I had a sleeve and found out the hard way we have dumping too...ice cream makes me dump, so while I can totally see how this is easy to overdo...one too many bites and I am in agony it's not worth it to me...had it twice since surgery and don't plan to have it again anytime soon. I like Janelle's suggestion maybe that will work for you as a treat?
  • fourstatesmommy
    fourstatesmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream addict as well!! I can't keep it in the house at all. They do make sugar free fudge bars & sugar free pop cicles, but they are not the same. I have battled this for a long time. I have not bought ice cream in a while and it's something I have to force myself to stay away from. If I buy the individual ones I do the same as you and if I buy pints, I end up eating the whole thing. I've even had 3 in one day, multiple times. I completely understand what you are going through and how you feel, I am still in my nutrition meeting pre op stage. I can not wait to have my sleeve. I have not elemenated all carbonation yet, but I am trying to. I am also limiting my sugar intake. I am also limiting all sweets to special occasions. I haven't elemenated alcohol, but have almost cut it out. I figure, I might as well finish what I have on hand that I've spent money on instead of throwing it all away. Best of luck on the ice cream! I'm just starting to log my food, been doing it for a week now, it has helped a lot, but I wish I could back date my weight, I've lost 15 pounds since November, but This app only allows you to log your weight for the actual day that it is.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried freezing yogurt? or protein shakes? I made an orange flavored protein shake blended with a few frozen peach slices and stuck it in the freezer for a few hours, while not quite ice cream it was a bit like a sherbert. helped satisfy my sweet tooth plus get my protein in. I haven't tried putting it through the cream maker yet. Milk with high fat percentages will taste creamier and less icy. hope that helps!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who replied here so far....some great ideas too! I know I need to try to freeze some things that are close to my desired nutritional values...never thought of freezing a protein shake or freezing actual yogurt of my choosing....I eat a whole lot of greek yogurt now and I think it would be a good idea to try that. Also, I think making smoothies with protein shakes, yogurt, ice cubes and a little bit of fresh fruit might work too...if I would just stay home more! Have a great weekend.