Becoming a Keto Coach.

Options
I have been wanting to coach people to lose weight with this WOE in my local area. But here's the thing I'm still trying to reach my goals and I don't have the perfect health and body at this time. With that said I was thinking that I should offer my time and information for free to people in my area and to gain clients and help them get to their goal and then use there testimony to then in the future sell my time and experience and make us a business. Here's my question would you take someone up in a free offer to lose weight when they don't have a degree and are not in great physical shape but is working on getting better? And in the future when I'm charging a fee what is a fair price?
If I did this this is what I would offer
As of now I would meet with a client once a week for a weigh in.
Explain the new diet
Email or message helpful articles
Motivate and keep them on track
Be a companion and listen to them
Meal plans and plan goals.

Please give me some feedback

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think it's fair, if you can honestly show a "before and after" pic. We've got some big trainers at my gym, and they're still respected. A big part of that is that they've been on the same journey, and are still working towards awesomeness.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you'd be putting you self in a very dangerous position to get sued.
    I mean, think about the hot water Tim Noakes is dealing with right now even with all his credentials and no one has even claimed they came to any harm by his advice.
    If you want to help people in the way you're imagining, I think the very minimum you should do is get licensed as nutritionist. You would surely need some kind of insurance.
    The more logical way to do what you want right now would be to blog, podcast, periscope and YouTube to the masses. This way you can claim that you're just sharing your personal experience. But I'm sure you need to specifically say that all over the place. If a blog or YouTube channel become popular, you make money in ads. The popular ones we know are doing quite well. They also put together recipe books and guides to sell for very little. But it adds up as popularity grows.
    If you want to help someone one on one, it probably needs to be a friend or family member that might like the idea of the accountability and participation in the blog.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And I really think it's a good time to get into it. I see interest in this woe becoming more and more common in coming years.
    One of my favorites, Brian Williamson (Ketovangelist) has only been podcasting for like a year or something. He's interviewed several of the big names in low carb already.
  • DaniKetoTaylor
    DaniKetoTaylor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of having a contract to be signed saying that I'm not a professional these are all my opinions and basically covering my bases.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    While I think people will want and appreciate your help, especially if they see your progress, I agree with sunny_bunny that having credentials is a good idea. You can always help friends and family while studying to be a nutritionist. A friend of mine is a trainer and she got certified as a sports nutritionist online.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Great idea but you want to have your ducks in a row. Helping friends is a great way to start. I started schooling towards being an RD a few years ago unfortunately I had ti change my focus but may go back again some day. I can tell you getting a degree as a nutritionist will not teach you anything about keto. You can get certificate programs online like mentioned before, like a trainer might. Probably most important is you'll want to look at incorporating and general liability insurance to protect yourself. Hiring an attorney would be wise in creating any type of contract as well. I think @Sunny_Bunny_ had a good idea to start with podcasts and what not. That way you'll be able to build some credibility for the future.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Great idea but you want to have your ducks in a row. Helping friends is a great way to start. I started schooling towards being an RD a few years ago unfortunately I had ti change my focus but may go back again some day. I can tell you getting a degree as a nutritionist will not teach you anything about keto. You can get certificate programs online like mentioned before, like a trainer might. Probably most important is you'll want to look at incorporating and general liability insurance to protect yourself. Hiring an attorney would be wise in creating any type of contract as well. I think @Sunny_Bunny_ had a good idea to start with podcasts and what not. That way you'll be able to build some credibility for the future.

This!!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's a sad fact of Life in America Today that our first thought when considering something new has to be "How could I get in legal hot water with this?"
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Everything written above is very important, so i'll just add a different point of view.

IMHO all of this depends on where you live and what you are doing now. It also depends on what your degree area or area of study currently is, you could already have many people coming to you and asking you questions and you have kind of been giving people advice 'one on one' for the last months or a couple years.
    One example of this is that my university degrees are a BA & MA, the Master's degree is in technology but it's from many years ago. Still i know more than just the average person my age about tech stuff (not to be compared with younger ppl ), so just about everyone who gets near me wants one on one tech support and i always help them. I'm not held liable but what i'm doing is "not pretending not to know".
    So, in a similar fashion, i suspect you are showing good results and you are being asked many questions on "how" you are achieving your goals.
    Another thing to consider is if you are a member of a Church group...many religious communities offer wellness classes, my girlfriend leads a group called "losing for God"..she has a long way to go but at least the people in the group are becoming more food aware. That wouldn't be for me, but that is an option if it interests you.
    You might also consider becoming a fitness instructor in an area of interest to you..yoga, tai-chi, aerobics, pilates..almost every Fitness instructor is asked about food and food choices, you'd have insurance and the coursework is very easy to get for your credentials & license.
    All of this just to say, take care of your approach , but you don't necessarily have to wait until "everything" is in order.
    Please don't give up, it seems as though you'd be excellent and help many ppl in your community.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    It's a sad fact of Life in America Today that our first thought when considering something new has to be "How could I get in legal hot water with this?"

Right! I agree but it's just too real a possibility. I'd even say quite likely, simply because of all the negativity with this woe.
    Imagine someone is following the advice, doing well and their doctor tells them their cholesterol went up, which happens. No amount of explaining why it doesn't matter will prevent someone looking to blame you, from doing exactly that and getting "medical evidence" to support their decreased health.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Everything written above is very important, so i'll just add a different point of view.

IMHO all of this depends on where you live and what you are doing now. It also depends on what your degree area or area of study currently is, you could already have many people coming to you and asking you questions and you have kind of been giving people advice 'one on one' for the last months or a couple years.
    One example of this is that my university degrees are a BA & MA, the Master's degree is in technology but it's from many years ago. Still i know more than just the average person my age about tech stuff (not to be compared with younger ppl ), so just about everyone who gets near me wants one on one tech support and i always help them. I'm not held liable but what i'm doing is "not pretending not to know".
    So, in a similar fashion, i suspect you are showing good results and you are being asked many questions on "how" you are achieving your goals.
    Another thing to consider is if you are a member of a Church group...many religious communities offer wellness classes, my girlfriend leads a group called "losing for God"..she has a long way to go but at least the people in the group are becoming more food aware. That wouldn't be for me, but that is an option if it interests you.
    You might also consider becoming a fitness instructor in an area of interest to you..yoga, tai-chi, aerobics, pilates..almost every Fitness instructor is asked about food and food choices, you'd have insurance and the coursework is very easy to get for your credentials & license.
    All of this just to say, take care of your approach , but you don't necessarily have to wait until "everything" is in order.
    Please don't give up, it seems as though you'd be excellent and help many ppl in your community.

I do agree with what you're saying and I think OP should follow her passion for sure. I feel, to a degree, the same way she does. That's probably one of the reasons I love this group so much! I'm learning from others who want to help me, and they have and continue to do so every day. I am very appreciative of all of you guys and your great info and I'd never want anyone to shy away from sharing what they know and believe. I also get to do the same and I love this woe and am so convinced of its value that I'm more than happy to help everyone with questions as much as I am able to. I enjoy that part very much. :smile:
    That's why I also suggested getting some kind of credentials because even though we realize they don't really mean much, it will immerse you in a subject matter where you can dig for more info and where you will no doubt have an opportunity to learn how to protect yourself from liability in the case of a grumpy client or if you did happen to meet that rare person that actually does get sick on low carb and fail to recognize it. I also don't necessarily think you need to complete training before getting started either. I don't think there's anything wrong with even a layman giving advice they can supply evidence to support, but to offer up a "service" changes the rules. It's not just friendly advice anymore. That's where things get sticky.
    But there's more than one way to help other people. There's more than one way it can actually grow to be a lucrative career. You don't even have to go the route of earning any credentials at all. Jimmy Moore didn't. Dave Asprey didn't. Lots of the well known people didn't. But they didn't sell a service either. They just sell their ideas. Their support. But they're making money selling themselves with ad space and endorsements... And their own books. Some of the "smaller guys" developed a plan for exercise and meals based solely off their own experience and what they've learned along the way from others, just like the "big guys", but sell it for little or maybe nothing at all to gain popularity and make their money off their website traffic. But, I'm sure they still take measures to protect themselves from liability. I just don't know if a contract is enough. I guess a lawyer would need to be consulted about that, but even then it's not ironclad.
    Anyway, I'm saying that it's my opinion that a blog is a safe way to start right now.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Love your idea. I am not in the USA so not going to comment on littigation risks. Pre training n qualifications sound wise and will include understanding risks and insuring yourself

My girlfriend was overweight when she started teaching Les Mills body pump n other classes. Girls joined her classes partly because if she could do it, why couldn't they. She now looks amazing, and so do many of her participants. New folk give her credibility because the others can attest that she really has not always looked amazing. Do not let your size stomp on your dreams. It can work to your advantage.
  • makomike
    makomike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You'll find many small businesses have no required certification or licensing except for a state business license. Set yourself up as a LLC to protect you personally from litigation. The thing with keto is that's it a fairly new concept and not widely accepted. There are no certifications or a large amount of publications (except for web) on it. This gives you a bit more freedom as legally being able to prove what's right and wrong on the topic is very difficult. I'm not a lawyer or advisor, just someone who's had a small business for many years. CYA and run with it. Good luck!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Love your idea. I am not in the USA so not going to comment on littigation risks. Pre training n qualifications sound wise and will include understanding risks and insuring yourself

My girlfriend was overweight when she started teaching Les Mills body pump n other classes. Girls joined her classes partly because if she could do it, why couldn't they. She now looks amazing, and so do many of her participants. New folk give her credibility because the others can attest that she really has not always looked amazing. Do not let your size stomp on your dreams. It can work to your advantage.

And just to boost your own confidence in yourself... Look at every Olympic gymnast - they all look the same essentially, their stature, musculature etc and they are very talented and can do incredible things.... then.... look at their coaches. Usually much older, overweight men. But they are experts at what they do, and they know how to get results - for other people!

Obviously a 60 year old overweight man knows what it takes to become an olympic class gymnast with a perfect body, but is unlikely to be capable of doing it himself. He also knows how to control weight - he does it with others all the time, despite not following his own advice.

So it is absolutely possible to help people lose weight and become healthier when you are yourself overweight and not completely healthy. The difference for you is that you are capable of achieving the results you want to sell, so it just adds some first-impression credibility. Having before and after pictures of yourself or people you have worked with (family, etc) makes someone nervous about spending money on you feel a little more secure in taking a risk.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I have had so many people, especially at work, ask me what I am doing to lose weight. I tell people briefly what I am doing, but save a more in depth discussion for the very few who display authentic interest. I have no credentials, but people see how my body and level of fitness are changing right before their eyes. I have a good understanding of how to obtain information after years of searching for natural ways to improve my health, and I have come to learn what works for my body.

I have a loyal group of supporters and some who think I should become a coach of some sort. I do love sharing this knowledge, and it would be so fulfilling to actually motivate people, but probably unlikely to happen in a formal way. I may assist at wellness seminars on a casual basis however.

In the meantime, what I have done is to put together a one page tip sheet about LCHF, and I give it to co-workers and friends who display interest in keto. I list links to much of the same info we refer people to on this site, and in fact, I also recommend that they join our LCD group on MFP as a way to gain more info and support in order to help make this woe sustainable especially in the beginning when one has a bit more anxiety about starting something unfamiliar. I also include some of my own personal tips for success.

Providing people with information that has the potential to positively change their lives and health for the better feels so good, doesn't it ? I would be wary about the concerns listed above, but since I am not giving advice on a professional level, I am not concerned. I just like helping people.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I realize I didn't address the "current size" part. I don't think that's much of a factor. If you've made visible or even just health marker progress, that's what people are interested in anyway. And we all want it to be as easy as possible and that's what many of us think about this woe. So people do want this! Tons of people seek out that helping hand every day. We are!
    Jimmy Moore is a perfect example of it. He's still not completely fit and he's been at this for over 10 years! Nobody is doubting him. He's made incredible progress and he's completely open about the times he's not done so well and the fact that he's not there yet. He's honest. It's respectable.
    He also started by simply writing a blog about his experience and it just grew and grew because people like the way he presents it. He has a very "plain speaking" way about him.
    You could just as easily make this work if an LLC is enough to protect you and you can write or speak halfway decent, honestly. lol
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here is a "keto coach" question.... for you or anyone.. I am using testing strips to test for Ketosis....... one day it is very dark and I am thrilled, the next, it barely shows trace amounts. Is this normal and does this mean that I am not actually in Ketosis?
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @jobean12, the keto strips are extremely inaccurate, results can depend on hydration levels, and a lot of times as your body gets more efficient at burning fat for fuel you stop excreting many ketones in your urine. I would not worry about the keto sticks, and test either blood or breath.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lillith.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jobean12 wrote: »
    Here is a "keto coach" question.... for you or anyone.. I am using testing strips to test for Ketosis....... one day it is very dark and I am thrilled, the next, it barely shows trace amounts. Is this normal and does this mean that I am not actually in Ketosis?

Ketosis is like being pregnant.
    Either you are pregnant or not. There is no such thing as "a little bit pregnant."
    Same with ketosis. Either you are in or aren't.
    Now, ketone production varies throughout the day. Being "deep into ketosis" isn't any better than just being in ketosis from everything I have read. Unless you have some medical condition that requires it. The concentration measured by the ketostick changes too and is highly affected by how much you've had to drink. If you drank more water close to your measure time, then ketones will be diluted, and you'll get a low result. Also, as you keto-adapt, you may become more efficient and stop spilling ketones to a measurable degree in your urine. So it is reported by many. I have been keto for over a year and a half, and I've never measured my ketones. I don't have much use for it.

optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg?w=676

^^Nifty graph on ketone levels^^

There are 3 type of ketones:
    betahydroxybutyrate (measured in the blood)
    acetone (measured in the breath)
    acetoacetate (in the urine)

The first two are the only really reliable measure of ketones as you continue into adaptation. Blood reading is more accurate than breath. Urine ketone readings are the least accurate.

Here's a link that describes it all quickly and fairly well. Nothing is perfect though. It's posted in the LaunchPad as well.
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/