TrainerRoad tips wanted

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
I just signed up for a TR account and am waiting for a speed/cadence sensor to arrive. I have a fluid trainer, but no power meter, so will use the virtual power feature of TR. Once set up, I will begin the Sweet Spot Base low volume phase 1 workouts, then move to SSB low volume phase 2. This will take me to the start of my 16 week HIM training plan. Couple questions for TR veterans. Do you continue to use the TR app during racing season? I'm thinking that weekday am rides on the trainer will continue to be the quickest route to success, with long rides done outdoors on weekends. Second question: Any preferences or benefits to using The Sufferfest (or other) video series in conjunction with TR?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am a proud Sufferlandrian. I use those videos in conjunction with TR all year. I would say 50% of my "nice weather season" riding still happens indoors. You get a better workout every time. Sure when it's really nice out I'll go outside, and I do all my long rides outside, but you can't beat the quality you get from properly riding indoors.

(OK that probably answered both questions at once).

Since you will be using virtual power it is important that you set things up the same way every time. Make sure your tire pressure is the same every time. And make sure you tighten the trainer knob exactly the same number of turns every time. Otherwise you will be inconsistent.

I assume when you get your speed sensor you will be doing an FTP test?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My coach writes trainer workouts aimed to address the focus of whatever block of training I'm currently in. That said sans a coach I'd either write my own workouts or swipe some from TR/Zwift/wherever. Also a great way to track data or whatnot.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I am a proud Sufferlandrian..... I would say 50% of my "nice weather season" riding still happens indoors......

I assume when you get your speed sensor you will be doing an FTP test?

Me too...(always at the ready on door to my home office/man cave)
    20160219_110252_zpsfsfefrhe.jpg

Oops, a bit too large, sorry.

Anyway, sounds like I'll be taking a similar approach to you regarding indoor training all year long. Makes sense that tire pressure/trainer pressure must be consistent to ensure good results when using virtual power. thanks.

Scott, yes I plan to use TR workouts as well. This year I'm trying to capture and track data better.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    CCC80BB7-0918-487C-9D0A-FBB9C72465E7_zpsxppaetjq.jpg

The National Flag hangs in my Pain Cave.

This was taken in the calm before the storm... a few of us were about to embark on The Local Hero
  • Djproulx
    Options
    The National Flag hangs in my Pain Cave.

This was taken in the calm before the storm... a few of us were about to embark on The Local Hero[/quote]

Very nice....and spacious. I usually Suffer alone in silence, often in A Very Dark Place.