Preassessment Test

Options
Everyone is at different fitness levels. Whether you are just getting started or you are a gym rat it is good to see where you lie on pre fitness level so we can compare after the challenge. I wanted to find something the is comparable for everyone to do. I found this preassessment for fitness challenge from the presidents council of fitness. You may download it for your own personal reference. https://www.adultfitnesstest.org/resources/dataCollection.pdf
Make a post with your pre assessment and we will check back at 4 week levels til we reach the end of the challenge to see how much improvement you have made. If you find something you cannot do even with a modification do something comparable you would like to improve upon in the 8 weeks.

PART 1
RUN, JOG OR WALK ONE MILE. IF you are unable to do this distance than either walk as far as you can and record the time. However you want to do it, Treadmill, elliptical or bike as well as taking a walk or run around the neighborhood.

PART 2
PUSH UPS
THIS can be full pushups or modified pushups. Time yourself for one minute

PART 3
SITUPS
THIS can be full situps or v situps(half situps)

PART 4
PLANKS. I honestly hate these things but they do test your strength. SKIP if unable to do, this is not a big deal if you can't do these as a full plank , you may do these as a modified plank or skip if too difficult. Hold plank as long as you possible.

I am adding here that this is your challenge so if you want to add more GO FOR IT!! I wanted something that no matter age, bad knees or your fitness level you could do but if you wanted to add burpees pullups or anything please go ahead.
We will have a spreadsheet made up for you but til then post your results here or put away in your computer,phone or device til we start. You can do this now or prior to the start of the challenge. We will check back on April 1, may 1 and may 10 to compare your progress. Take pics, take measurements too for your eyes only so you can see your results because it is not always about that number on the scale.

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Photos n tape measures are gold, especially on weeks when scale hates us, which it will. Highly recommend both.
  • LoveLacy
    LoveLacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Am unable to record pulse - have no gadget for it, and I rubbish and cant tend to find mine, can we record in terms of time taken on the walk instead?
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    LoveLacy wrote: »
    Am unable to record pulse - have no gadget for it, and I rubbish and cant tend to find mine, can we record in terms of time taken on the walk instead?

Yes, idea is to record time taken to walk 1.5 miles, how long you can hold a plank for (either on elbows or hands), how many situps in a minute, how many pushups in a minute and as an option, any other baseline you want to measure (ie time to cycle 3 miles).
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Shucks ... I cannot join in on any of the challenges ...
    1 - can walk only about 500 steps before I have to stop and find a way to relax my hips muscles unless I am using my walker ... then I can sit down on it for a minute or two and get going again.
    2 - can not push myself up off the floor ... can't hardley even get up without contorting and hanging on to something ...
    3 - sit ups .. no way, no how. I can lay on the bed and lift my head to look at my toes but cannot lift my shoulders.
    4 - planks ... not on the floor, but I can do many standing up and leaning at a steep slant against a wall. Can hold that for at least two minutes before I tire, can even do a couple of minutes of them leaning against the front edge of my kitchen counter and lower my chest to the counter and back up ... but not from a laying down postiion on the floor.

About the most taxing 'work' I can do is carry a whole lot of plastic grocery bags into the house at one time but I need to take it easy bending over and picking things out of them, standing back up and putting them away as if I do it too fast I get arythmic heart events. I had to give up cutting the lawn because I would set off an arythimic cardiac event if I pushed the lawnmower around while it was full of clippings in the bag, then bent over to remoe the bag, carry it to dump out the clippings and come back to attach it to the mower again. But I feel stronger this year and want to try cutting my lawn myself again this summer.

So .. i am in really terrible physical shape. I think I need to stick to something like seniors chair exercises ... and that's not what his group is about.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 this group might be too physically challenging for you so far. There are so many awesome groups and challenges on here though that you will definitely find one closer to your current physical abilities. With time as you get stronger you can definitely join in on these more demanding groups :) This is one of the more physically challenging ones I've seen in a little while so don't lose hope, there are definitely lots of options out there for you :)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »
    @Nikion901 this group might be too physically challenging for you so far. There are so many awesome groups and challenges on here though that you will definitely find one closer to your current physical abilities. With time as you get stronger you can definitely join in on these more demanding groups :) This is one of the more physically challenging ones I've seen in a little while so don't lose hope, there are definitely lots of options out there for you :)

You are right, it might be physically challenging for me at this time ... however I looked through the Winter Blast Challenge and got thoroughly enthused about trying it. As I understand it, it's the amount of time put in to the exercise efforts and challenges to try along the way that are extras ... so I'm going to challenge myself and give it a go. Nothing to lose by trying, and a lot to gain by doing what I can.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Never force you to do more than you know you are physically able. The spreadsheet is up for assessments I put a custom section for those wanting to keep track of other things or instead of the ones listed.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »

You are right, it might be physically challenging for me at this time ... however I looked through the Winter Blast Challenge and got thoroughly enthused about trying it. As I understand it, it's the amount of time put in to the exercise efforts and challenges to try along the way that are extras ... so I'm going to challenge myself and give it a go. Nothing to lose by trying, and a lot to gain by doing what I can.

Great attitude. It is for me, to challenge ourselves at whatever level we are at. If we can walk 1 metre or spend 1 minute more today moving than we did yesterday, we each improve. For some people that may be 10 metres 100 metres, 1000m or minutes more. Does not matter. Idea is we support each other n have fun. Looking forward to hearing how you go.
  • ashorey87
    ashorey87 Posts: 173 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Did my preassesment. And my goodness my butt is OUT of shape! Lol. Let's hope for some improvement at the end of March ! :)
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Do we need to post our results or just keep it for personal?
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @ruffalicious you can add your results to the second tab of the spreadsheet. Nice record keeping area.
  • friedafroglegs
    friedafroglegs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pre-assessment entered. Actually better than I thought
  • sandkp
    sandkp Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Pre-assessment done... ready to start!
  • summ72
    summ72 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Pre-assessment done.... :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I entered zeros for the pre-assessment because except for walking. I can't do these particular exercises due to health reasons. I can do others though. Just can't do anything involving my lower back or wrists.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @gebeziseva there is a column on the right if you want to add your own challenge in addition to walking. Wall squats I believe are good for lower backs, but whatever helps you feel great n motivates you :) so you see progress during challenge.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    @SamandaIndia Ok, thanks, I will fill the column :smiley:
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    @ruffalicious you can add your results to the second tab of the spreadsheet. Nice record keeping area.

i only see the sheet4, weigh in and fitness result tabs. :sweat:
  • Bons92
    Bons92 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pre-assessment done o:)
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,843 Member
    Options
    @Nikon901 please stick with us! The great thing about this is it can be as physically demanding as you want, so you can choose what's good for you! For me, I can swim but do so very slowly, so what I consider a workout might just be a warm-up to others! That's my current challenge for myself. Yours might be working up to walking 750 steps, or a thousand, or maybe a long term goal of a further distance. Those would be some great goals. I love this challenge because it's based on time, not outdoing other people. Plus everyone here is so supportive that we will cheer you for every additional step you take!