Shopping on a budget

Options
Hi I'm slightly new to the whole clean eating thing (I did it for a couple months in 2013) and I need help on writing a shopping list on a budget. we usually spend about £100 but we cant buy entirely healthy food since my husband is trying to gain weight and needs all his high fat things. so we're trying to balance the shopping if that makes sense. I'm looking for food that's cheap and will store for a while.

so I'm thinking:

-Blueberries, grapes, strawberries etc. put in the freezer straight away
-bananas
-Greek yoghurt
-almonds
-organic peanut butter
-Tomatoes, onions,peppers for making a sauce with and stored in the freezer
-brown pasta
-frozen mince
-frozen chicken slices
-frozen veg
-rice cakes
-Almond milk? or is full fat milk alright

I already have oats and coconut oil in the cupboards. stocked up on them when Tesco had a sale on them :)

Any more suggestions would be great

Replies

• monalisa581
    monalisa581 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brown rice or broccoli
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, dry legumes (although canned is fine if your budget allows)
  • QueenbBeltran
    QueenbBeltran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can someone Please give me a typical shopping list that would make all meals in one day? I am trying to start this as a newbie and have no idea what to shop for or what to put on the Menu for each meal thru out the day. Any suggestions are cool for me at this point as long as they are honest and completely verified by this site as Good things to eat, :smile:
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like to keep frozen fruits and veggies, in the freezer so for those days in between pays I have back up. I also keep dried beans, rice and pasta in the cupboard for the same reason plus I love beans. I stock up on all kinds of fresh veggies and fruits so their is always a variety. Lots of spices for flavor, canned goods such as tomato sauce, canned tomatoes etc. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible and if you have a slow cooker and if you are a meat eater, Skinnytaste.com is a great place to go for recipes. Learn how to read labels, cook and eat whole foods. If you are not a meat eater http://minimalistbaker.com/ is a great site and very simple easy recipes.
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We make dry black beans in a pressure cooker in big batches, then put in freezer containers for when we make our black bean meatless tostados. I buy blueberries and strawberries when in season, spread them out on cookie sheet, freeze, then put them in baggies (fresh blueberries are juicier and bigger than bags of frozen you buy at store in freezer section). I make salads ahead, chop and keep in fridge in mason jars (except for tomatoes that I add last minute or they'd get mushy) so lettuce keeps longer and it's easy to grab a salad on the go. I keep black walnuts (or English but prefer black) and crush them with my Ninja, keep in container in freezer and it works great to sprinkle over salads, in oatmeal, coat chicken or veggies to saute. My must have list
    blueberries and strawberries
    black walnuts
    (always have a Ninja pro on hand to grind your own ground meats or make your own crumbs or to make your own "ice cream" from just frozen fruit, yogurt or milk)
    milk of your choice
    chicken (ONLY ones free from hormones or antibiotics)
    sirloin type of meats (grind own for "ground beef" recipes)
    eggs (free range and from veggie fed chickens only)
    fresh green and red peppers (keep some cut and freeze in bags in freezer)
    dry beans of all kinds (good protein source)
    dry split peas/lentils (a handful works as good nut substitute in salads because they're so tiny)
    coffee (can't live without my coffee but use a French press that gets the BEST flavor
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Can someone Please give me a typical shopping list that would make all meals in one day? I am trying to start this as a newbie and have no idea what to shop for or what to put on the Menu for each meal thru out the day. Any suggestions are cool for me at this point as long as they are honest and completely verified by this site as Good things to eat, :smile:

I think it might be easier to make a list for the week, just because some things you might buy you could use throughout the week. I find it easy to be a little repetitive with breakfast and lunch.

For example, I typically will but a couple of bags of frozen fruit which will last over a week and a bunch of kale, along with a carton of almond milk (and some stevia to sweeten).

This would give you a breakfast smoothie for every day of the week.

For lunch I typically start with a salad and than have something a little heartier, like a chickpea salad or a sprouted grain sandwich with sprouts tomato and avocado.

So a list of for breakfast and lunches and snacks for the week could look something like this:

For daily breakfast Smoothie
    bag of frozen mixed berries
    almond milk
    Stevia sweetener drops (this will last for months and months)
    bunch of kale
    mixed salad greens

for daily snacks:
    bag of apple

For a sandwich:
    sprouts
    sprouted grain bread
    bag of avocados
    bag of tomatoes

OR

For a chickpea salad
    2 cans of chickpeas
    1 bag of sun-dried tomatoes
    a can or jar of olives
    cucumber
    (assume you have seasoning and lemon juice/olive oil already)

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know groceries in the UK are pricier than the US, but we spend on average about 125$/week in the US for a family of 4. Looking at your list:

-Blueberries, grapes, strawberries etc. put in the freezer straight away- all way too expensive to buy fresh unless they are in season. In the winter, we get frozen fruit or apples, bananas, oranges. Price per lb in US is 1-2$/lb for all of the above.
    -bananas- yes, see above
    -Greek yoghurt- yes, but we try to buy the big tubs, much cheaper than individual servings.
    -almonds- expensive so although we do buy nuts, we try to eat them in reasonable portions
    -organic peanut butter- yes- I find the store brand is cheap and fine, stock up when on sale.
    -Tomatoes, onions,peppers for making a sauce with and stored in the freezer- canned tomatoes only! Much cheaper. I make sauce in the crock pot, very easy. No fresh peppers in winter, too $$$.
    -brown pasta- yes- try to stock up when store brand is on sale.
    -frozen mince- we are vegetarian, but again, stock up with sales.
    -frozen chicken slices- is this cheapest? In our stores, fresh on sale is cheaper, and sometimes rotisserie chicken is cheaper per lb. than raw as it is a loss leader.
    -frozen veg- yes yes yes! Majority of side dishes in winter are frozen veg.
    -rice cakes- I buy one box rice cakes or crackers a week. Just too expensive. Then we do plain corn tortillas or I make bread.
    -Almond milk? or is full fat milk alright- full fat milk is fine as long as you don't drink a ton. Personally we don't drink milk straight, we only use it in recipes, so the calories from milk don't matter too much to me. I do keep a carton of oat milk in the cupboard in case we run out and need some- but your cow milk is shelf stable I think, so you may not need to do that.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Here is my week:
    Dinners:
    White bean and kale soup in crock pot
    1.5 cups white beans, ~8 oz any dark green like kale, swiss chard etc, 6 c. veggie broth, 2 cloves garlic, 1 potato chopped, 1/4 t red pepper flakes, low all day

I make the veggie broth in the crock pot ahead of time, then save for the week- need come celery, onions, carrots. To be really frugal, save end parts of the veggies in the freezer until you have enough, then cost = free.

Mac and Cheese
    This is for the kids- speical request. H and I will eat leftover soup again. Pasta, little bit of cream, whatever cheese we have around. Probably Cheddar.

Pasta with tomato sauce
    Pasta, sauce, Parmesan on top. Sauce I make like so (this makes enough for 2-3 meals at least): 1 can tomato paste, 2 pint jars diced tomatoes, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 t salt, 1 t sugar, ~2 T italian spices. Crock pot on high with lid off all day (experiment with this- you may only need it on low, my diced tomatoes are pretty watery).

Quiche
    1 pie crust (so butter, flour, water) eggs, a little cream, 8 of cheese, chopped veggies of your choice

Pizza
    Flour, yeast for crust, leftover tomato sauce from Pasta night, whatever veggies you want

Tacos or taco salads
    Black beans, salsa, lettuce, cheese, corn tortillas

Lunches: Dinner leftovers or rice and beans or soup (I freeze individual portions of those when we have them for dinner- I make a big batch) with fruit and veg

Breakfasts: oatmeal with raisins and flax or eggs with sauteed veggies- make oatmeal ahead in one big batch and portion out if you like. Make eggs as muffin tin egg bakes if you want to do it all ahead.

Shopping list:
    Oatmeal
    flax
    raisins
    eggs
    veggies for eggs- can be frozen if cheaper- bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, etc
    salt, pepper, hot sauce, other spices as needed
    whatever you want for between meal snacks- nuts, fruit, carrots, hummus, etc
    Dinner ingredients (listed above with each meal)
    Frozen veggies for dinner side dishes
    whole wheat flour, yeast to make bread if you want (or Ezekial bread)

That is what we are eating this week! A bunch of this stuff we keep in stock- I buy beans by the 25 lb bag, same with flour, a bunch of the veggies I freeze from our garden in the summer, etc. To keep prices low, I try to be flexible- I buy whatever veggies for the pizza, quiche, etc that I can frozen, and the rest I get what is cheapest rather than being rigid about broccoli quiche or peppers on pizza.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Go to ALDI or Trader Joe's or Walmart! They have some cheap produce you can eat. :smile:
  • barran123
    barran123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    when I started I found the best way to shop is to meal plan for the entire week - so decide what you will eat every meal for the entire week and make a list. places like aldi and lidl are a lot cheaper for nuts/oats some fruit and veg and some meats and fish (although I end up still having to go to sainsburys for some stuff which they don't sell for example egg whites. plus their dairy (milk. cottage cheese) tends to expire quicker so I don't buy that from there either)

breakfast and lunches are pretty much the same everyday in my house

either oats with nuts, seeds, raisins, fruit, honey, flax etc with either almond milk of whole milk

or a spinach and fruit smoothie make with almond milk (we buy uht almond milk as we go through so much and is cheaper then fresh - frozen fruit and veg also tends to be cheaper than fresh so you can save money there)

lunches is grilled frozen chicken breast with salad or veg - with or without brown rice or sweet potato
    or I often batch cook soups or some cheap cuts of meat in the slow cooker to have in a salad

dinners we have
    grilled salmon with veg and sweet potato
    homemade burgers with salad
    a whole roast chicken with salad or veg (pls leftovers for lunch)
    steak and salad
    smoked mackerel and veg
    skinless and boneless chicken thighs

basically we tend to stick to meat or fish with vegetables and either sweet potato or wholegrain rice.

weekends we get a little more adventurous keeping it all clean with whole ingredients. none of our food is bland we use lots of different spices to make things interesting and we incorporate foods that take a bit longer to prep I.e beans/pulses/quinoa - all really cheap
  • taichilass
    taichilass Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty poor person and I manage by buying all of my stuff for the week and cooking it all on Sunday. I pack up my meals individually and heat them just before I eat them. When you buy for the whole week all at once you'll be amazed at what you save
  • emmahhjo
    emmahhjo Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I usually shop twice a week, and make a big meal that lasts me for a few days (lunch and dinner). I'm working on doing weekly meal prep, but it takes practice! Also, I don't eat grains, sugar, soy, or potatoes. I stay away from processed foods, aside from my frozen veggies and fruits and oil/spices.

Produce:
    Bulk lettuce or mixed greens
    Avocado
    Garlic
    Onion

Frozen:
    Kale, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, Brussel sprouts, etc. (you can easily sautee these or mix them with your greens as a salad...I don't buy these every time, just when I'm running low)

Dairy:
    Eggs (boil half when you get home)
    Plain yogurt (I get Greek, in a big tub)
    String cheese

Meat:
    Fish or chicken (I try to get on-sale)

Pantry:
    Almonds or walnuts, raw (for snack!)
    Olive oil
    Tuna (water packed, no salt)

A normal day of eating:
    Breakfast: boiled egg, string cheese OR 1/4 avocado; a couple bites of veggies from the night before
    Lunch: Big bowl of lettuce/mixed greens with some leftover meat and veggies and olive oil and salt and pepper
    Dinner: Fish/chicken with sauteed, grilled, or roasted veggies on the side (this week I made roasted brussel sprouts in the toaster oven and ate them for three days with other stuff!)
  • Brigit32
    Brigit32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    emmahhjo wrote: »

I usually shop twice a week, and make a big meal that lasts me for a few days (lunch and dinner). I'm working on doing weekly meal prep, but it takes practice! Also, I don't eat grains, sugar, soy, or potatoes. I stay away from processed foods, aside from my frozen veggies and fruits and oil/spices.

Produce:
    Bulk lettuce or mixed greens
    Avocado
    Garlic
    Onion

Frozen:
    Kale, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, Brussel sprouts, etc. (you can easily sautee these or mix them with your greens as a salad...I don't buy these every time, just when I'm running low)

Dairy:
    Eggs (boil half when you get home)
    Plain yogurt (I get Greek, in a big tub)
    String cheese

Meat:
    Fish or chicken (I try to get on-sale)

Pantry:
    Almonds or walnuts, raw (for snack!)
    Olive oil
    Tuna (water packed, no salt)

A normal day of eating:
    Breakfast: boiled egg, string cheese OR 1/4 avocado; a couple bites of veggies from the night before
    Lunch: Big bowl of lettuce/mixed greens with some leftover meat and veggies and olive oil and salt and pepper
    Dinner: Fish/chicken with sauteed, grilled, or roasted veggies on the side (this week I made roasted brussel sprouts in the toaster oven and ate them for three days with other stuff!)

This is a great post. I eat grains. I thought they were good?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Beans!

Bulk dry beans are cheap and you can add them to other dishes for protein or eat them alone.

Tofu is pretty cheap and high in protein. One lb cube of organic tofu is around $1.99

Bag of potatoes. They are so versatile. I never get sick of them.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bones from the butcher : broth base for stews .. add veg. health is really the best investment you can make.. Im low income but I my food aim is always quality.. in season look for farmers coop csa or grow your own.. veg veg veg
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »

Here is my week:
    Dinners:
    White bean and kale soup in crock pot
    1.5 cups white beans, ~8 oz any dark green like kale, swiss chard etc, 6 c. veggie broth, 2 cloves garlic, 1 potato chopped, 1/4 t red pepper flakes, low all day

I make the veggie broth in the crock pot ahead of time, then save for the week- need come celery, onions, carrots. To be really frugal, save end parts of the veggies in the freezer until you have enough, then cost = free.

Mac and Cheese
    This is for the kids- speical request. H and I will eat leftover soup again. Pasta, little bit of cream, whatever cheese we have around. Probably Cheddar.

Pasta with tomato sauce
    Pasta, sauce, Parmesan on top. Sauce I make like so (this makes enough for 2-3 meals at least): 1 can tomato paste, 2 pint jars diced tomatoes, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 t salt, 1 t sugar, ~2 T italian spices. Crock pot on high with lid off all day (experiment with this- you may only need it on low, my diced tomatoes are pretty watery).

Quiche
    1 pie crust (so butter, flour, water) eggs, a little cream, 8 of cheese, chopped veggies of your choice

Pizza
    Flour, yeast for crust, leftover tomato sauce from Pasta night, whatever veggies you want

Tacos or taco salads
    Black beans, salsa, lettuce, cheese, corn tortillas

Lunches: Dinner leftovers or rice and beans or soup (I freeze individual portions of those when we have them for dinner- I make a big batch) with fruit and veg

Breakfasts: oatmeal with raisins and flax or eggs with sauteed veggies- make oatmeal ahead in one big batch and portion out if you like. Make eggs as muffin tin egg bakes if you want to do it all ahead.

Shopping list:
    Oatmeal
    flax
    raisins
    eggs
    veggies for eggs- can be frozen if cheaper- bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, etc
    salt, pepper, hot sauce, other spices as needed
    whatever you want for between meal snacks- nuts, fruit, carrots, hummus, etc
    Dinner ingredients (listed above with each meal)
    Frozen veggies for dinner side dishes
    whole wheat flour, yeast to make bread if you want (or Ezekial bread)

That is what we are eating this week! A bunch of this stuff we keep in stock- I buy beans by the 25 lb bag, same with flour, a bunch of the veggies I freeze from our garden in the summer, etc. To keep prices low, I try to be flexible- I buy whatever veggies for the pizza, quiche, etc that I can frozen, and the rest I get what is cheapest rather than being rigid about broccoli quiche or peppers on pizza.

Thank you. Your list is helpful.
    This month I actually tried lentils. Wow! They are really versatile and good.

Where do you buy your large bags of beans?
    In our area I have only found small bags.