Is there such thing as very low carb peanut butter?

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
I can't find one. I don't want 6g of sugar in 2T of peanut butter. :(

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Even the brands with just peanuts and salt come in around 6 grams of carbs just from the peanuts. No sugar though.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    that is probably sugar free peanut butter. OP, are you sure you need 2 tbsp at a time? 2tbsp of peanut butter is kind of a lot!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    There's low carb almond butter, not exactly the same but you get more nutritional value for your buck :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Do you count net carbs or total carbs?

If net, then Adam's all natural peanut butter is 4g net carbs per 2 tbsp. That seems to be the norm.

Kraft makes an unsweetened, unsalted PB for the same amount of carbs.

And yes to almond butter!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    that is probably sugar free peanut butter. OP, are you sure you need 2 tbsp at a time? 2tbsp of peanut butter is kind of a lot!

I eat 2tbsp for a treat sometimes. Correction: I eat 32g, which is a serving. Tbsp isn't always a very accurate measure and can give you too much. So I weigh mine.
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Even the brands with just peanuts and salt come in around 6 grams of carbs just from the peanuts. No sugar though.

Yep. Peanuts tend to be 5 or 6g total carbs all on their own.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1oz of plain peanuts is 4g total carbs (3g fiber, 1g sugar) according to the USDA, so pretty hard to get super low if you eat much. I make my own from nothing more than plain peanuts in a Vitamix and I like it that way.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Dude. I could eat 1/2 a cup with a spoon.

But I don't. Cuz, carbs. Lol
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    LOL, I like to put a bit on some 90% dark chocolate for a treat.....and I use to put probably close to 1/4 cup on 2 slices of bread and have it with some chocolate milk.....but that was my previous life.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Haha, someone else that says Dude. Awesome. I started back in college as my roomate was from California and I picked it up. I use it way too often now.

And Dude. I could totally eat 1/2 a cup with a spoon. And have....

I have had to cut out peanut better as even the sugar free stuff causes me to crave and often over-eat it. Not worth it to me in my journey.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha same here!

OP I use Sanitarium natural peanut butter, no salt or sugar, which is 4g Total carbs/1g net per 40g
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »

Buffbake makes awesome flavored protein peanut butters and almond butters! They are kinda pricy though $10.99-13.99 :neutral:

*I don't work for them or get anything from telling you about it*

This is a photo a took from their website. It shows the info for the white chocolate peanut butter: net carbs =3grams.

It does have sugar in it but since I don't have food allergies I allow myself yummy treats like this just so long as I can keep eating them in moderation and not over do it.

i142d1lqfrkg.jpeg

rqjyyuw9ifqi.jpeg
  • kepotak
    kepotak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sunbutter might be another alternative. Looking it up it looks like it has 7carb 4fiber per serving for 3 net carbs...

I've never tasted it but I hear it tastes just like peanut butter. We used it at a day care I worked at because of peanut allergies...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

Same for me.

The only thing more evil/awesome than peanut butter is choc/peanut butter or something like Nutella.

Kroger recently starting making (in some locations, I found it in SC while visiting my parents) a 50% less salt and sugar. Without the salt it's super meh... But I use it when it will be mixed into something. Like choc avocado mousse. It's 4 net carbs.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my downfall, so I've banned it completely from my diet (as of a few days ago) and am losing and feeling good again. I guess legumes are not my friends. I could eat half a jar in one sitting just mindlessly, and I found I was hungry and had cravings and all kinds of nonsense. If you can tolerate it, awesome! I'm not even looking for a substitute, because I don't want to head down that slippery slope again...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »

Buffbake makes awesome flavored protein peanut butters and almond butters! They are kinda pricy though $10.99-13.99 :neutral:

*I don't work for them or get anything from telling you about it*

This is a photo a took from their website. It shows the info for the white chocolate peanut butter: net carbs =3grams.

It does have sugar in it but since I don't have food allergies I allow myself yummy treats like this just so long as I can keep eating them in moderation and not over do it.

i142d1lqfrkg.jpeg

rqjyyuw9ifqi.jpeg

I second BuffBake! I just try not to cry when I pay that much for peanut/almond butter. Their Snickerdoodle flavour is really awesome.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer powdered Better Body PB Fit. I love the taste of peanuts but not that (to me) gagging sensation of swallowing peanut butter. Two tablespoons PB Fit mixed with water = 3 grams net carbs, 5 grams protein. I like that it blends easily in smoothies and baked goods. It does contain both sugar and salt.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Haha! Yep I might have a problem with peanut butter... Thanks everyone. I will check out almond butter and be more careful with weighing it. However, I really use a teaspoon and don't fill it overly full. And straight out the jar for a little tummy filler sometimes. I can live without chocolate, but not peanut butter!!!