5'4" trying to get below 126.... taken a year and still not there! ! Advice????

Options
ARGriffy
ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
I hit my magic GW of 126 over a year ago. I maintained for a bit but would always go through periods of trying to lose more as I still have jiggly bits I'd rather weren't there. This year I've kicked it into gear more as I came out of Christmas 5 lbs up and I've managed to loose 3 of those but can't get below! So I'm now stuck at 128. I lost over 30 lbs so I know the formula and I eat very well its just driving me nuts!!

Replies

• lynoprinka
    lynoprinka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I;m 5' 4" as well and 128 dislike some sort of magic set point for me. Very hard to go under it. Did maintain between 120-124 for a while and felt like that was the perfect weight, but my body seems to fight me
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    lynoprinka wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I;m 5' 4" as well and 128 dislike some sort of magic set point for me. Very hard to go under it. Did maintain between 120-124 for a while and felt like that was the perfect weight, but my body seems to fight me

This!! Glad it's not just me!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Been there. What worked for me two years ago was lifting heavy weights. But I had too much fun over the holidays and trying again! My body is loving 133. Trying to get to 125. Arrrrgh!
  • paigeleeharman
    paigeleeharman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am at 128 also and would like to get down to 120. I gained about 10 pounds over christmas break and can't seem to get any of it off. Any suggestions on what to do? I really would like to tone my body up, but I can't seem to stay away from sugary foods.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's called bulking. You need to bulk. Your body currently hates you.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in this same boat. 5' 4", 126ish, would like to be about 120. Can't seem to get below 125. I know it's still a perfectly healthy weight but I still have plenty of belly jiggly-ness that I want gone. Actually don't even care about weight so much if I could improve my body composition. I've made some headway since I started lifting but it's been slow.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm there with ya girls!!! was sitting at a comfy 122-125 (depending on the day) I gained almost 10lb over Xmas got 5 off, and over my Birthday last week put that 5 back on....culprit is beer when I'm with family...

I'm a Cardio Junkie - I really dont have a gym near me either...so if any of you find anything that works, let me know...
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Also 5ft 4 inches n was stuck at 128lbs. In last 25 years I have always got stuck around the 128lb mark n eventually bounced back up. I am now at 120lb which I credit to a very low sugar and moderately low carb diet. Had to increase fats which felt not intuitive but worked. Same sort of calories per day as prior attempts. Just different foods.

This time I stalled at 123lbs for 6 weeks. What I suspect then helped me reach 120lb was varying then calories up n down for days at a time, macros variation and exercise variation plus time.

Hope above helps.
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    ^^ this helps massively thank you so much! I kinda figured that at this stage I probably needed to do more on the dietary side rather than just calorie restriction. Low carb and low sugar was how I started my journey for the first 10 pounds so looks like I'll end it before maintenance with it too :)
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    I'm in this same boat. 5' 4", 126ish, would like to be about 120. Can't seem to get below 125. I know it's still a perfectly healthy weight but I still have plenty of belly jiggly-ness that I want gone. Actually don't even care about weight so much if I could improve my body composition. I've made some headway since I started lifting but it's been slow.

Our stats and goals appear to be identical, the bold part is exactly what I feel about my body apart from mine is bum and thighs!
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Also 5ft 4 inches n was stuck at 128lbs. In last 25 years I have always got stuck around the 128lb mark n eventually bounced back up. I am now at 120lb which I credit to a very low sugar and moderately low carb diet. Had to increase fats which felt not intuitive but worked. Same sort of calories per day as prior attempts. Just different foods.

This time I stalled at 123lbs for 6 weeks. What I suspect then helped me reach 120lb was varying then calories up n down for days at a time, macros variation and exercise variation plus time.

Similar story for me. I've reduced the sugar, even cutting out fruit, and added healthy fats and lots of protein.

I used to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise ( I've done 5 Ironman triathlons), but could not lose weight from just running anymore. I totally switched my exercise program to Crossfit and weight lifting and measured and logged everything. I am now 120lbs (5'3", 48 yrs), which is 4lbs below my original goal, and still losing about one pound every ten days.
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    Just to update, im now 124 as of this morning!
  • PenguinGirl1234
    PenguinGirl1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ^way to go!! It's such a frustrating process when you hit the plateau. One of the things I've found is that while cardio is great in getting the excess weight off in the beginning, eventually our bodies get too accustomed to the workout. I agree with what was said about consuming more fats (avocados, whole fat yogurt or milk, nuts), and some weight training. The other thing I'll say is to walk more. I know that sounds crazy, but walking 10,000 steps a day will actually help with the last bit of weight more than any running or other cardio. Since walking is lower impact, our bodies won't crave sugar or carbs in the same way as it would after a long cardio workout, but it is still getting movement in (sort of a trick of the mind). I hope you are able to reach your goal! I fell off the deep end for a while and I'm trying to get back into things too :/
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    I'm a restaurant manager who does 50 hour Weeks on my feet so luckily step count isn't something I struggle with! Pole class has made a big difference to my core though FYI!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've just decided to be "that guy" and say it: Keto.
    I love it. Try it for a couple months and if you don't break the plateau, well just go back to what you are doing. But it's amazing. (Protip: Don't forget to do your research, get added sodium and magnesium or you will dehydrate and get the 'keto flu.')
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    If I don't get starchy carbs in a day I get super bad headaches. Like, today I've eaten an omlette, a goats cheese salad and homemade curry with kale and I can already feel it creeping in!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    hmm this sounds like me ! I also have the jiggles 5'4, 127 lbs & 40 yro and struggling to get below . Hmmm maybe I should try low carb....

I have been working on cutting back on sugar. What about smoothies though. I have a very basic one of baby spinach, 1 apple, 1 orange with chia seeds and coconut water. I usually have this 3-4 days a week.

Also I have set myself at 1600 cals. Sound about right? I do thai boxing classes around 3 days a week, plus some body weight stuff and lots of walking. What % ratio macros do you all have?

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Headaches might be caused by a lack of electrolytes/dehydration. Carbs retain water, no water retention means you flush out electrolytes. If you do decide to give it a go, up your salt intake and take a magnesium supplement. There are a lot of FAQs out there that can explain this better than I can.

I have 1300 k/cal set (sometimes I wonder if it should be higher?) at 70% fat, 25% protein (this gives me about 70 grams of protein), and 5% NET carbs (<20 NET). It can be hard some days to eat that many calories as fat is so filling. It's a very rewarding way for me to eat. I have a ton of energy and I don't have to be hungry. I'm more even without the carb highs and lows as well.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ <--- macro calculator for those interested.
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    Hmm it's worth a try if I can get around the headaches and help me shift a bit!
  • NotMika
    NotMika Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, not to be weird but I took a peek at your food diary and I noticed you eat a fair bit of pre-prepared food. While these meals can be low calorie, they tend to be higher in sugars and salts. I think the next step is preparing your own food. You'd be shocked at the difference when you actually get to see what's going into your food first hand.