Introducing Myself

Options
Hi Ladies!

VSG 1.4.16 and just started back up at the gym yesterday. 1/2 hour on the elliptical---it's a start. Going tonight after work (brought clothes to the office) and plan on drinking some protein an hour before. HW 274.4 SW 257 CW 230.7

~Nicole in MA :)

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hey Nicole! Love the name. ;)

I HATE the elliptical, it's a horrible machine of Satan's! So Kudos to you! I picked a gym that's on my way too and from work and has other locations close to me. My bag is always packed and ready in my car every morning. It's the only way! Congrats on your early success! Keep it up!
  • barngrill
    barngrill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey Nicole! That's great on your gym time and your progress. It's definitely not easy getting back into the groove. It's amazing when you start feeling stronger and are able to do more things.

I decided to quit the gym because I have to work out at 5 a.m. and didn't like driving there or putting on appropriate public clothes so soon out of bed...so my husband put one together for me in our basement. My home gym includes a treadmill, elliptical, weight bench, heavy bag, body opponent bag, speed bag and the P90x-beachbody and yoga videos. It's a little lonely in the mornings but the trade off is that I can just stumble down the steps. So far I've only done the treadmill and a few hand weights but I'll work my way up! :)
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    When I hit the gym on my way to work, I'm there at 5am...so I'm up at 3:45am. I love the gym. I would like a treadmill so I can do more at home when I'm going loopy and it's cold out, but I'd never trade in the gym! Plus, I love my trainer. Our personalities mesh so wonderfully. He's a huge support system of mine and I've only been with him sonce November. He's not your typical muscle-bound trainer. He's in his 40s, fit, but not muscular, but he knows his *kitten*. So less intimidating than some of my previous trainers. Now I'm just babbling.

It's so important that we find what works best for us so we can sustain in the long run. Keep working at it. I know I'm still experimenting with things at the gym.

I'm way more coherent and sensical earlier in the day. I need to go do my yoga video and go to bed! lol
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    It won't let me swear? *shaking fist at MFP Big Brother*
  • char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a great gym at work - but i don't get to go often. Its so hard to fit a lunch workout in, eat, and then be presentable in a 55 minute window. I am also finally getting relief from my plantar fasciatis (sp) I have a huge flair up in December and now have orthopedics, braces, and have had cortisone shots - hoping for 1 more - the relief was sweet.
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, Nicole! Do you have a workout buddy? When I first started working out, I had four different friends (one male) that I could count on at least one day a week after work. Now, I go right after work before my buddies get there so that I can 'cheat' an extra 30 minutes into a workout! I love the gym and I have two rules I follow: 1) If i skip Monday, I HAVE to go on a Saturday, and 2) if i skip a weekday, I add 30 minutes to two different workouts. I have occasionally broken those rules, but not the consequences!
  • char_barr
    Options
    Ahhh I really need to get into a gym routine!!! I bring my stuff with all hopes of going during lunch but work gets the best of me.
  • Deckhand562
    Options
    I couldn't go during work hours, but it got easier going after I get off work. Some people can do the morning routine, I like to sleep a lot
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi All- My name is Annamay (mazie61) getting sleeved on Mon Feb 29th. On the pre liver shake diet, trying to hold on...five more days of this. Little anxious.
    Annamay in NC :)
  • Deckhand562
    Options
    mazie61 wrote: »
    Hi All- My name is Annamay (mazie61) getting sleeved on Mon Feb 29th. On the pre liver shake diet, trying to hold on...five more days of this. Little anxious.
    Annamay in NC :)

Hey, Annamay! Welcome and congrats! I've never been happier since I had my sleeve on Jan 25, 2016. I was 225 morning of my surgery, I only had to do the liquid pre op for two days, but I quit bad foods and alcohol (AHHHH!) on Jan 1. This morning I am 198.7 and the scale is still dropping!
    A little anxiety is expected and smart! This is a big decision, it will be hard, but it will be worth it and so rewarding! Add me if you ever just need a friend to bounce ideas off of; I'm a veteran of MFP but new to groups and have found the community wonderful!
    Good luck and God bless! :)
  • char_barr
    Options
    Welcome!! I am surprised that my 2 week diet isn't stricter - its about 1000 calories, and includes 3 oz chicken or fish for lunch and dinner, oatmeal, yogurt, salad, v-8 and 4 protein drinks a day. I still have to have 1 more nutritionist appointment before surgery, and I am going to ask her about it. Have a great day!
  • barngrill
    barngrill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see a pre-op diet for others on here. The only thing I was told before my sleeve on Dec. 7 was to lay off fatty foods a few days before and eat easily digestible foods the day before. I had six months of nutritional counseling before I could apply for my surgery date and a pre-op diet was never mentioned. I guess I'm lucky...?
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @barngrill Yeah, definitely lucky...and a little shocking. The pre-op diet is to reduce the size of the liver. It also helps the liver get healthier. My surgeon told us before he implemented it for all his patients they did their own "blind study." The nutritionists had a group of patients do the diet, and others not do the diet. He said it was quite obvious when he got inside which group that patient was in. He also told us that he's had patients where he's gotten inside and came right back out refusing to do the surgery because it seemed too risky because of the condition of the liver, or he couldn't access the stomach easily enough.

That being said, I think some of them are crazy strict. Like mine. heh. Two weeks primarily liquids. I was allowed 300 calories of low carb vegetables. There was a list of like 15 acceptable. My total intake daily was below 1000.

It was what it was! It's tough during, but once you get through it, it seems SO insignificant! Looking back now, I would have happily done it for longer if it meant getting to where I am today!
  • JerseyGirl056
    JerseyGirl056 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Chrissie. I'm in the process of having the gastric sleeve done. I have my last nutritional class and my cardiologist appointment next month, then I will be scheduled for surgery.
  • luckyblonde86
    luckyblonde86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats Chrissie, I hope all goes well. If you need anything just ask. I am 3 weeks out from sleeve surgery.
  • Deckhand562
    Options
    Hi, My name is Chrissie. I'm in the process of having the gastric sleeve done. I have my last nutritional class and my cardiologist appointment next month, then I will be scheduled for surgery.

Congrats and welcome! Everyone I've "met" her in the group has been so positive and outgoing - real motivational ladies we have here!
    If you need anything, just ask. We're all in different stages, I'm 8 weeks post op now.

• Deckhand562
    edited March 2016
    Options
    barngrill wrote: »
    I was surprised to see a pre-op diet for others on here. The only thing I was told before my sleeve on Dec. 7 was to lay off fatty foods a few days before and eat easily digestible foods the day before. I had six months of nutritional counseling before I could apply for my surgery date and a pre-op diet was never mentioned. I guess I'm lucky...?

My whole process went by a lot faster than I've been reading from others on here too. I first decided to ask the doctor about the sleeve in November, Medical Clearance and Pre Op bloodwork in December, then surgery in January. My pre-op diet from the doc was no smoking 6 weeks before, no alcohol and no fatty foods 2 days before, and liquids only the day before. I chose to quit drinking 3 wks prior and no fatty foods for 3 wks prior as well.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am Jen - a NY'er transplanted in NC. I am due I have bypass on April 18th. @NicoleA511 - I absolutely understand where you are coming from with getting up early and what I have done to get past that is I have gone to sleep in my gym clothes so all I need to do in the morning is put my sneakers on and grab my stuff.

I pack my gym bag with work clothes and have my breakfast and lunch ready to go so I literally am just grabbing stuff and going. I am up at 4 am and out the door between 4:30-5 depending on the day. May be worth trying :)
  • aljones2010
    aljones2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Ashley. I am 3 month post-op, was sleeved on 12/16/15. In total I am 63 pounds down 47 since my surgery day. Would love to connect with a few ladies from the group :smile:
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Welcome Ashley! Feel free to friend me. My diary is open to all friends, I'm only friends with other sleevers and my mom. Heh. Congrats on your loss, feels great, huh?!?