Anticipatory eating

Options
ab6046
ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
Am I the only one who does this? When I have a big meal coming up or lunch/dinner plans, I get anxious about it derailing me. I then binge in anticipation of the meal, overeat at the meal, and then binge afterwards. As a result, I try to avoid any kind of social eating but it is inevitable. I'm going to dim sum on Friday and I can already feel the urges starting and telling me there's no use in trying to get my act together until Saturday. Can anyone relate to this? Any advice?

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i use to. now i just go enjoy the food, get what i want and done. i enjoyed the company, the pleasure of the food, event. no pressure.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If I knew I had an event going on I would try to hoard calories. I would eat very little leading up the the meal, or party, then binge like mad once I got there. Then because I was so hungry I would eat until I was sick and in pain.
  • lynzieryn
    lynzieryn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do the same! I don't eat in anticipation of the meal and then overeat because I'm so hungry. I'm beginning to make changes and to plan ahead so that I don't get so anxious. I go home and have a shakeology shake before so that I have something in my stomach and don't feel the need to eat everything in sight when I get there!
  • ab6046
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I try to hoard calories and restrict beforehand but I almost always start binging leading up to the meal. Why is eating out so stressful?!
  • lynzieryn
    lynzieryn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i know...it's such an awful feeling to stress SO MUCH about eating!
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You're an introvert, right? Social situations drive me nuts. I didn't binge tonight, but I over ate. I had the urge to binge. I pinpointed the reason: my whole weekend is going to be (pardon my terminology) eaten up with social events. A sleepover tonight, a group going to a concert, a second night of sleepover, then church....it's like introvert hell.

I eat for insulation. It provides a physical barrier between me and a world that I'd just as soon not interact with. Let's face it, fat people are invisible.

• ab6046
    Options
    Yep, I'm definitely an introvert! Awesome that you didn't binge, even if you did overeat. And that does sound like introvert hell. It's true that eating is an easy way to avoid talking to people and participating 100% in social situations. I've actually thought a lot about the whole introvert thing a lot over the years. For a long time, I told myself that once I reached my goal weight, I would be a lot more comfortable around people and that it was my self consciousness keeping me from being the true extrovert that I was. The truth is, I'm not and never will be an extrovert. And sometimes I think that that thinking was what made me continue to self sabotage as I got closer to my weight goals. I KNEW that wasn't who I am and I wasn't comfortable with the thought of putting myself out there, and so I would get close to my goal then start binging as a way to avoid doing what I was expecting myself to do once I supposedly would be comfortable with myself. I think realizing I'm an introvert no matter what size I am was helpful for me in some ways, but it still doesn't solve my issues with binging!