Hi
I have been t2 for about three years
I started losing weight a year ago
I was very overweight
I have lost over 100 lbs
Saw my diabetic nurse for my yearly tests
MyHbA1c was 30
Have I gone to far cutting out carbs ?
Nurse was so lost for words never seenHbA1c that low or someone that had lost that amount of weight in a year
Beening tested again in 3 months
Can aHbA1c be too low ?
Thanks for any help

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My story is very similar. I was diagnosed at 253lbs in '12. I got down to 175. I now hover between 180 and 185 and have been for almost 3 years.

I assume when you write that your HbA1C was 30, you mean 30mmol/mol which equates to 5.0% in US terms?

For over 3 years now I have kept my bloods around the mid 5s, no meds done by fat loss through healthy eating and exercise.

If you are on meds and have gotten so low, I would expect the Dr to start reducing or even stop your meds.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been taken off one lot of meds but still on one lot until next blood test result
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on the loss and all the hard work. I doubt an A1c of 5 is overly low, based on the discussions I've had with my docs. Maybe nurse was just surprised by your discipline over that many months. I have had the doc staff look at my food diary for any suggestions they might offer. Maybe they would do the same for you. Be sure you are getting enough nutrients, fiber, fluids, etc. Good luck.