Hair Loss

Options
Ok I am a little over 3 months post op and I have been losing a little amount of hair, but this last 2 weeks the weight has started coming off pretty fast and I am losing a LARGE amount of hair is this normal? And is there anything I can do to help it? I am actually kind of freaking out. When I say a large amount im not kidding

Replies

• JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yep! It is normal. I have to admit of all the changes my body went through those first few months, the hair loss was my biggest surprise. I had a lot of hair, and it was long. I think I lost at least half or more of the hair on my head. I actually had someone ask me if I had a cat at home due to the amount of hair shedding on my clothes. I found hair everywhere! had to buy some special de-clogger for the bathtub. I got to the point I had to cut it off. As you can see in my profile pic, my hair is above the shoulders now.

THE GOOD NEWS.... It does grow back! I am just ending my ninth month after surgery and I can tell you all my new growth hair is about 1-1/2 inches long! I now have a very poofy head. Since I still have some of the long hair growing along with the new growth, it is kind of weird to say the least. I am happy to report it is growing back and it is strong as it used to be.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yep! It is normal. I have to admit of all the changes my body went through those first few months, the hair loss was my biggest surprise. I had a lot of hair, and it was long. I think I lost at least half or more of the hair on my head. I actually had someone ask me if I had a cat at home due to the amount of hair shedding on my clothes. I found hair everywhere! had to buy some special de-clogger for the bathtub. I got to the point I had to cut it off. As you can see in my profile pic, my hair is above the shoulders now.

THE GOOD NEWS.... It does grow back! I am just ending my ninth month after surgery and I can tell you all my new growth hair is about 1-1/2 inches long! I now have a very poofy head. Since I still have some of the long hair growing along with the new growth, it is kind of weird to say the least. I am happy to report it is growing back and it is strong as it used to be.

All of this. I was throwing away balls of hair after every shower that would collect at the drain. Around 7mo post VSG, it stopped falling out as bad. I'm now 10mo out and have 2" whispies along my hairline from where the hair is coming back in. I also cut my hair from bra strap length to just above my shoulders and added layers to help conceal and help blend in the new growth. Adding biotin did seem to help some, and it certainly has helped my nail strength. I'm still taking Hair and Nail supplements from Costco.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It's normal. The hair loss was the hardest for me. No matter what I did, it went. I lost 70% total. I literally had bald spots and a few of them are still bald. I ended up cutting it off to a short shag and that's where I've been for 4 months. It's growing back slowly, but it's coming back.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My hair is almost down to my waist and because I have lost weight very fast, it is coming out very quickly. I too have very thick hair, but at the rate I'm losing it, I fear I'm going to go bald. I have taken some precautions and I'm taking biotin as well as using shampoo's and conditioners that are structured toward hair loss. Right now, it is thinning more at the front that anywhere. I've started parting on the side and rolling it to make it look fuller. (I can't believe it!! I have a comb over lol). I'm praying it gets better soon.......
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I might be a freak of nature, but I lost about 200 lbs and hardly lost any hair. I know it's very common to lose hair but I just want to put this out there to show how different our experiences can be after surgery!!
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My loss was bad from 2-6 months post. Horrible. People mentioned it at some pre op meetings and I brushed it off. Like who cares. Then it happened to me! Horrible. I have a fraction of the hair I used to have. Then one day the excessive loss just ended. I haven't seen much growth as of yet (7.5 mo post), but the loss is now back to normal. I hate how thin it is now, but everyone says it grows back. I'm resisting the urge to chop it all off!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I take 1000 mcg of biotin daily for hair loss. It was BAD. I already have thin and frizzy hair to start with, so losing the weight just nuked what was left. I'm keeping it short, but I'm finally starting to stabilize out and get some new growth coming in so now I have these poofy patches everywhere all over my head. I'm also trying to do blended layers and doing whatever I can to minimize things that may damage what is there (like using a hair dryer sparingly, which is PAINFUL when you have frizzy hair). I'll be glad when it finally evens out.