Lifting Programs

giusa
giusa Posts: 577 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Even though this group is primarily for StrongLifts 5x5, a number of ladies are using other lifting programs. To use this thread as a resource and guide, list the program you are using (or 'proven' progressive program) and some details, for example:

Name: StrongLifts 5x5
Source: www.stronglifts.com
Main Goal: Build Muscle/Strength
Workout Type: Compound
Training Level: Beginner
Days Per Week: 3
Equipment: Barbell
Program Schedule: Alternate between Workout A (Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row) and
Workout B (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift)
Note: This program has an app, and a great beginner lifting program.

Hope this is useful and makes sense...

Replies

• giusa
    edited February 2016
    If anyone is interested or would like an idea of what to do next...one of the MFP Monitors is compiling a list of lifting programs - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I researched a number of programs to consider after doing SL and NROLFW. The top considerations were Wendler's, PHUL and Upper/Lower/Legs types of options. In the end, PHUL had enough of what I liked to do with a couple hadn't done much before. It worked okay as 3 days a week but has been better with 4 days (I did upper, lower, upper then the next week started with lower when doing 3 a week).

Here is the link to show the basic PHUL program: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

I did a little modifying over the months. I don't do the skullcrushers because the ez bar and that angle don't go well with my elbow. I also sometimes skip calves cause meh, calves.

I actually really like the upper and lower split. I like the bit of variety and it was a nice break to not squat every day but to still get to do heavy squats, deadlift and bench press. I might stick with it for months more, or I'm going to look into powerlifting ones as I am considering competing but no decision yet. I'm glad I picked PHUL though as it's been one I've easily been able to stick to for months so far and could keep going if I go that route.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    This is a super great idea because I would love to be able to go to one thread that list all the programs and the specific details.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Name: A Workout Routine
    Source: www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    Training Level: Beginner
    Equipment: Barbell or Dumbbells
    Program Schedule: Alternate between Workout A (Squat, Bench Press, Rows) and
    Workout B (Deadlifts, Pull-Ups (or Lat Pulldowns), Overhead Shoulder Press)
    Note: This program is 3 sets for 8 to 10 reps of each exercise. Creator is an advocate of Mark Rippetoe's program as well.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'll mention the program I'm doing, however it's not a free one.

Name: Untamed Strength Basic Strength Program
    Source: http://www.trainuntamed.com/basic-program/
    Main Goal: Strength. Increase the main lifts (squats, bench, deadlift, OHP) and learn lifting program design.
    Training Level: Beginner, however general consensus it is actually Intermediate.
    Days Per Week: 4
    Program Schedule: 16 weeks
    Note: High weight and volume, sets/reps change every week. UTS works off 1repmax %, however you do not need to know your 1RM to start. It also is really good as showing you how to calculate how much you have to lift every week. Program is laid out well with room for more accessory work.

It's $12 for the PDF at this time. I had no issues throwing money at it as the creator's videos has helped me so much I probably owe him money. I like the volume of this program and it has made my form better. I am also not battling SL 5x5 plateau thanks to percentage based numbers.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I've been using this one for about 2 months now...

Name: Ice Cream Fitness
    Source: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    Main Goal: Strength/Hypertrorphy
    Workout Type: Compound. Full body exercises with some accessory work.
    Training Level: Beginner.
    Equipment: Barbell/Cables
    Program Schedule: Ongoing.
    Note: This program is basically the same as StrongLifts with added auxiliary lifts. It was easy to transition from one program to the other. My only criticism is that the workouts are LOOOOOOONG (about 1-1.5 hours) so although you're only spending 3 days a week at the gym, you're still working out about 4.5 hours a week.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    I started with new rules of lifting for women, then did stronglifts. I liked the simplicity of stronglifts 5x5 over new rules plus there was a couple moves in new rules that I was unable to complete without reinjuring an old injury. Now I am on my second round of body beast. I am seeing the most change with body beast in the shape of my legs arms and stomach. I hear a lot of people say there is no cardio in body beast but I find there are 2 days of the six that are cardio workouts. cardio/abs and leg day are both decent cardio days for me. I recommend all three as great programs. I am glad I did them in the order I did.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2016
    I know this board was for lifting but does anyone have any cardio suggestions? I am looking into adding some cardio at work over lunch breaks. Maybe something not as intense as Insanity Max 30 but similar. Short, no equipment and a change up.
    I'll add with the program I am doing now (already mentioned but I am changing to SL 5x5 in summer to accommodate a busy schedule).
    Name: New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW or NROL4W)
    Source: Check out a bookstore or online for the book (I suggest hardcopy personally)
    Main Goal: Strength
    Workout Type: Compound. Full body.
    Training Level: Beginner.
    Days Per Week: Suggested 2-3
    Equipment: Barbell/Dumbells/Cables/Ball/Bench (there are some at home alternatives though)
    Program Schedule: Alternate A and B workouts for 6-7 stages. Could take 6 months or more to complete
    Note: Some Lifts can be a bit tricky but it has been pretty easy to increase weight almost every time. The workouts start being about 20 minutes long then get veryyyyy long, 1-2 hours depending if you add the intervals at the end. I have had some great body results in the rear, arms and tummy.
  • giusa
    Name: All Pro
    Source:
    Beginner - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    Intermediate to Advanced - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135025731&page=1
    Training Level: Beginner to Advanced
    Days Per Week: Depends on level
    Program Schedule: Depends on level
    MFP Group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/12707-all-pros-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines
    Note: I like this program as an alternative to 5x5 or as another option. The beginner moves from the 5x5 mind set. It works on a 5 week cycle, 4 sets (first 2 are warm up and the second 2 are work sets) and each week add reps, after the 5th week you THAN move up in weights.