Cheat Days

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I know everyone is sick of me asking questions but I'm learning!!

I have noticed some of you mention cheat days? What is a cheat day to some of you and have often do you do it? I would like to maybe do one but I'm afraid of gaining or going backwards.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Personally, after having "cheated" over Thanksgiving WEEK, almost a month at Christmas, and then a ridiculous weekend January after almost a full year of compliance, I plan to never ever ever ever again have a cheat day. Might have a bite or two of a limited food or even perhaps a treat meal, but cheating on food cheats ME.

With all that ridiculousness above, my whole progress of Insulin Resistance stuff I'd made and weight lost last year is GONE. I've been back keto for 4 weeks - and I've got no measurable progress... And I did it to myself. Thanksgiving wasn't bad on afterward, right back on the wagon, Christmas was sick and depressing, and Bingerbread-gate in January was emotional eating giving into a long-time food issue...

I'm over a month in repairing, and I'm still fighting back just to get to where I was a month or year ago...

So I'm writing all this as a reminder to myself that this whole dance is just me allowing my wants to overwhelm what I know is best for my health. The occasional blip with compliance 99.9% of the time is likely fine, but for someone metabolically challenged like I am, it SOOOOO wasn't worth it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health issues such as insulin resistance or diabetes, so I really can't say that a cheat day/meal or whatever you want to call it would derail me to the point that it is extremely detrimental.

However, I did go HAM on some popcorn and candy a few weeks ago and felt sick. But I think some of it is mental guilt from knowing that I shouldn't be doing that.

I would try to make it only one meal out of the day if I am going to cheat, and then go back to keto for the rest of the day. I feel like the full day may be more detrimental.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid straying from this WOE mainly because I don't like the way I feel after a "carby" meal or snack. It's a noticeable difference for me- I get tired, my joints hurt, and I tend to have stomach issues for days afterward. There aren't many foods that are worth that to me. When I stray, I try to get right back on plan at the very next meal. Saying a day is wasted because I binged on something is like junking a car because it needs an oil change.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific, I meant a cheat meal. I don't think I could do a whole day either. I don't really miss pasta or bread, but I still miss sweets a little. So I was just thinking at like birthday parties or if I wanted a small milkshake etc.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to a nice restaurant, I eat whatever I feel like eating. I don't go out very often. Many times I feel like crap afterwards (too full, bloated, hungry 2 hours later, sugar cravings the next day), but not crappy enough to stop me from doing it the next time. So I guess I would say it's worth it for me.

But I do try to limit it to the occasion of eating out. I know it's kind of playing with fire, but it is what it is.

I can't keep certain foods in the house because I know that will go off the rails really quickly, but yeah for a birthday party I'll have cake if it looks yummy. Sometimes it doesn't look appealing at all, so I decline.

I try to do my best all of the time, but I'll call it a win if I make the right choices 90% of the time.

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh and I would never give myself a whole day to "cheat" because good gravy I'm sure I could polish off 10,000 calories in a day without blinking.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week, not a whole cheat day :) This weekend we will probably go back to ihop and I will enjoy a pancake or a waffle with my kiddo. The rest of my week I am in ketosis and staying low carb. We always do lots of walking after brunch too which is nice.

It's really up to you, it's like alcohol, if you drink it it will stall you a bit. Too much and you'll be knocked out of ketosis.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Last cheat day I had was Xmas 2014. It lasted 3 months and I gained 14kg. One day of carbs and I COULDN'T stop. This Xmas just gone, I ate only low carb food, and even made a low carb New York Cheesecake, which I pretty much ate to myself over a few days but it was only a couple of carbs per serve. I did NOT let things get out of hand and today I'm 6kg less than I was at Xmas. So I've learned I can't cheat. Can't. There's no such thing for me as "it's just one day".
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific, I meant a cheat meal. I don't think I could do a whole day either. I don't really miss pasta or bread, but I still miss sweets a little. So I was just thinking at like birthday parties or if I wanted a small milkshake etc.

I would think that sweets would be one of the worst cheats, @emilybeaver. Even though I'm a recovering sugar addict, I find that for the most part, the only sweets I really really miss a lot are, well, is cake. And I can have a small but reasonable square of cake, flipped over with the icing on the bottom and ONLY eat the cake part, and have a reasonable indulgence without going off plan.

You can easily make keto/low carb friendly milkshakes now. One of my favorites is the Chocolate Hemp shake from www.healthfulpursuit.com. It's easily as good as any others I've had.

The only things that would have me wanting to go off plan for a meal, and I've done this reasonably - are chips at a Mexican restaurant - and tortillas - and really really good French fries - I've also gotten a small enough portion with the rest of a reasonable day to not knock me out of nutritional ketosis...

So it's all about WHY you're doing this, what you gain from it, what the consequences are if you go off plan. For some, adding stuff back in brings back debilitating joint pain and seizures, weight gain/stalls, mental fogginess, extreme gastric distress, and a laundry list of misery too long to list. If those aren't concerns specifically for you, decide what you're willing to accept, etc.

I really try to get away from the context of calling it a cheat - because the only person you're cheating is yourself. Calling it a treat makes it seem like a super rare, incredible indulgent luxury you allow yourself on the really rare occasion. I think as long as you keep all this kind of thing in mind, you'll be okay.

Make a specific plan, keep specific limits, and make the next bite back on plan after your event/treat is completed. Don't allow backsliding, etc. That would be my advice, if you're going to do this, at all...because so many of us had to get on a plan like this because of cravings, addictions, health issues, eating disorders, etc. For most folks, the trade offs and backsliding just are not worth it. (hugs) and good luck, whatever you decide.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

If you're open to suggestions I just bought a bunch of sugar free candies from the pharmacy, Russel Stover makes a bunch of really good ones that are 1-2 net carbs. If you look at my diary I've eaten them every day and I'm still in ketosis. I have toffee and dark chocolate pecan. I don't have a full serving usually, just one or two candies.

I also found tons of flavors for almonds! I just picked up salt and vinegar yesterday :)

I know this is about cheat meals but I thought I'd throw that in there.
  • RedSavvy10
    RedSavvy10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just found Russell Stovers mint chocolates, 1 net carb for 3 mints. I only eat one after lunch when the boys are napping though lol. But we are having pancakes tonight and I think I might have one. I've lost almost 4 lbs in less that a week though so I'll decide tonight if I really want to risk a pancake or not
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's a very personal decision, but if you are not able to cope with any possible setback, it can present a bigger problem on an emotional/motivational level.
    We see too often, questions about why someone is "stalled" or why are they feeling hungry so often, and how discouraged they are, only to hear "I follow plan all time, except one tiny cheat meal".
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you adjust your expectations.
  • RedSavvy10
    RedSavvy10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well I just checked to see how many carbs were in the syrup for the pancakes. 53 carbs! Nevermind, I'll stick to my eggs and bacon tonight!
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to have a " cheat " meal, day, whatever. The improvement that I have experienced in my health, both mental and physical, has to me been nothing short of amazing. I struggle with an auto immune disorder. Prior to keto, I lived with fatigue, joint pain, mental fog, poor sleep( relying on Ambien most nights). I basically slept and went to work. My overwhelming fatigue is basically gone, I still get tired, but that is not the same. Most of my joint pain is gone, except for the osteo arthritis. I no longer hobble along when getting up from a sitting position. Friends and coworkers have noticed. They tell me I am acting like my old self. I haven't had to take Ambien in weeks. This WOE was suggested to me 2 years ago when I diagnosed, I wish I had taken the advice back then. So, no deviation from plan for me.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I went off plan for tortilla chips at my favorite mexican place the next day I had a massive headache stomach discomfort and bloat. They were good I'd probably do it again too. But it doesn't make for too much fun the next day.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I sort of do "IIFYM" within keto macros. If I want a meal where I might have more sweets, I'll be super low carb the rest of the day. Or if it's something like Thanksgiving or Christmas, I might eat at maintenance but still keep carbs under 50 or so, focusing on delicious fat and protein and choosing my carbs wisely. I've had a couple of days over the past several months where I did go over 50 carbs but just got back on track the following day.