Can you recommend a good low carb protein bar -

Options
carolann_22
carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
with no malitol, and preferrably that I can buy at a store (not order online). I've found some online but I really want to be able to buy one and try it before I fork out the money for a case. Tell me what you've found :) Thanks!

Replies

• Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What are the disadvantages of sugar alcohols? I've been wondering.....
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, malitol in particular still raises blood sugar, almost as much as sugar does, so it should be avoided. Other sugar alcohols have less impact on blood sugars.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest bars. I didn't see malitol in the ingredients and they are only 4 net carbs.
  • di_763
    di_763 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I buy Quest Bars as well, but I watch the sugar alcohols...some flavors have more than others. Sugar alcohols can cause unpleasant gastrointestinal issues. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you are a former sugar addict and tend to get cravings if you eat sweetener stuff, beware of these bars. They taste like candy bars and for me, made me feel hungry. I like the quest bars, but I eat 1/3 of one at a time and treat it as a candy bar. Something I only have on rare occasion.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are good, they cause cravings for me though so I now try to steer clear of them. Malitol can also cause major gi distress. I don't know of any other than quest that are low net carb.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've not found any protein bars that I can purchase locally which don't have some sort of questionable ingredients. They are also usually higher in carbs and sugar than I would like so I stick with Quest for the most part. Quest is decent considering all the alternatives out there. I do not consider it "great" as far as some of their ingredients and carb / sugar numbers go (I usually cut a bar into 4 pieces - the carb content is simply too high to eat an entire bar at a time - at least for me). I can recommend a couple of other protein bars that I think are way better (ingredient and nutritional data wise)...BUT...they are only available for purchase online.

http://www.thelionschoice.com/shop/

I have not tried the lion's choice bars yet, but I am planning on trying them eventually once I use up my current supply of quest bars.

http://www.ketobars.com/products/keto-bars-10-pack

I have tried the Keto bars. I wasn't over the moon about them ONLY because I do not care for the taste of coconut (Gasp, yes, heresy, I know! lol); however, if you like coconut and you like dark chocolate, you will probably like these.
  • rnstarr
    rnstarr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Atkins bars and shakes. They keep me full with plenty of protein and low net carbs of 3-4.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Epic bars.

They are literally meat in bar form.

Also, screw the bars, go with jerky. You can get ones without sugar and garbage fairly easily now. If your store has a dedicated "natural foods" section, they'll likely be there.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    be careful with protein bars, even ones with super low net carbs. I went through a stage where I was having one 2 or 3 times a week, within my carbs and cals allowance and lost NO weight. They also seemed to cause bloating. As soon as I cut them out completely (as well as other high total carb/low net carb foods) I started losing again.