Anyone try Breyer carb ice cream?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
ok I'm wanting to try something sweet for the first time in 6 months. What low carb ice cream have you tried and liked?

And what's the deal with sugar alcohols?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've had a very small serving of That Breyers ice cream before. It is very good. You know to be careful.
    I've also had a full scoop from Cold Stone of their no sugar added vanilla last summer. I was doing tons of walking at a festival so it didn't effect ketosis. It was very good, but so sweet that it was easy to feel satisfied because I just didn't want anymore. The carbs were not as bad as I was expecting. Can't remember. It didn't upset my stomach either. Neither did the Breyers.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Well I've about talked myself in to just making something with berries, maybe a cheese cake? I haven't had berries either so I'm sure they will be sweet to me lol Have u made any deserts? What's good? I'm really not into just the plain chocolate bar. I'm just getting to the point I want to be a little more adventurous with food, once a month I think. I'm pretty strict and need to start trying things to find what I can and can't do. I was so excited when the road house peanuts I had this past weekend didn't effect me much!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Have not tried it myself. Seriously considered it at one point; however, upon reviewing their ingredients (copied and pasted directly from their website), decided against it mainly because my body does NOT like maltitol so I avoid it like the plague:

"SKIM MILK, MALTITOL SYRUP, MALTODEXTRIN (CORN), CREAM, DUTCHED COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: WHEY, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, VEGETABLE GUMS (GUAR, CAROB BEAN, TARA), ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA® BRAND), NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE. Ingredients and Nutrition Facts are current as of August 2015. Please see shelf packaging for any changes. Nutrition Facts may vary in high altitude areas."

'S really up to you. IIFYM, go for it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    By the way, different Breyer Carsmart flavors have different ingredients.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    when I eat low carb ice cream my body keeps waiting for the sugar high -- makes me crave more, so I just stay away from it
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it. However, I am moderately lactose intolerant so the aftermath helps keep my cravings low. It doesn't initiate any cravings in me. The other sweets I occasionally eat are dark chocolate or Atkins "treats".
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I only had vanilla myself. If you stray from plain vanilla you get more carbs and more questionable ingredients.

For my birthday I made a cheesecake and put berries on it. It was awesome! I just used a traditional recipe and subbed the sugar for sweetener

Make whipped cream and sweeten it and add vanilla or lemon extract then throw in your berries. Freeze it for a yummy frozen dessert.

The only other things I've made for special occasions are the jello pudding mixed with cream cheese that someone shared in the low carb meals thread. And I've done a similar thing with the jello pudding, cream or half n half and cream cheese.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Also, the Carb Smart vanilla yogurt with some coconut flakes and shaved chocolate is pretty darn amazing and you don't even have to feel like it's a dessert really. It won't kill your day.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I did the sugar free ice cream last year in the summer, yeah it hated my belly so then I just ate small amounts of regular ice cream. I also made a couple of one's at home @MistressPi had some really great links
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I did a kiddie scoop at Baskin Robbins several weeks back. Came up to 15g of carbs. And was super satisfying. That's higher than I typically like to go, though.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I have had their carbsmart bars. They are delicious but spike my cravings a lot. I just don't buy them too often or it could easily become a daily habit.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The only lower carb ice cream I can stand (and actually I think it's really really good) is blue bunny sweet freedom. The trick is finding it. And it's not extremely low carb just for a rare treat.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've had their carb smart ice cream occasionally. It's pretty good.