Meat

Options
marisanne
marisanne Posts: 38 Member
I am posting this to get quick responses since I'm going grocery shopping today. I'm doing keto. Is the grass fed meat necessary. It is getting a little expensive. So I am just wondering if it is required to get grass fed organic everything

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It is expensive for me too so I normally don't buy it. I don't think it is absolutely necessary but a nice thing to have.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Not necessary
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Better because of the fatty acid profile but not necessary. I don't because of the expense. But I do buy the Kerrygold butter. It just tastes better. At least to me.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with "better but not necessary." It doesn't fit our grocery budget, so I don't buy it. I'm sure it would be easier to fit in if we didn't eat much meat, but that's a little hard on keto. ;)
    I did finally buy Kerrygold butter at least.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't even agree with the "better" part. I almost never eat grass finished beef because I don't like it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There was a thread where @FIT_Goat provided a great explanation that convinced me that it's nothing to worry about. There was a whole discussion about it. I'll see if I can find it.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My budget wouldn't be able to stretch to it either. Although I do try to compromise by cooking leaner meat with organic coconut oil or grassfed butter.

It's not perfect but a lot better than how I used to eat before keto.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    There is nothing harmful about the fat from grain finished animals. Buy the cheap fatty meats and enjoy them. Spending more for lean meats and then spending more on top of that for the additional fats (coconut oil and grassfed butter) to add back to the meat because it isn't fatty enough is just wasting money.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't afford grass fed organic everything, and it's not easy to find either. It is definitely not a prerequisite for this lifestyle.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    There is nothing harmful about the fat from grain finished animals. Buy the cheap fatty meats and enjoy them. Spending more for lean meats and then spending more on top of that for the additional fats (coconut oil and grassfed butter) to add back to the meat because it isn't fatty enough is just wasting money.

Thanks, will keep this in mind and save myself some time and money. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    There are those of us who prefer our grass fed and pastured meat for many reasons other than health benefits that may be negligible. I prefer to buy my meat right from my farmers and I get excellent value for my money, free bones, organs and animal parts. I'm about to choose my subscription for the 5th consecutive year. It will cost me about $150 per month and I will have all the beef, pork, chicken and eggs my family of 3 plus guests can eat in one year. And I think the taste is superior.... Plus I love my farmers!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    There are those of us who prefer our grass fed and pastured meat for many reasons other than health benefits that may be negligible. I prefer to buy my meat right from my farmers and I get excellent value for my money, free bones, organs and animal parts. I'm about to choose my subscription for the 5th consecutive year. It will cost me about $150 per month and I will have all the beef, pork, chicken and eggs my family of 3 plus guests can eat in one year. And I think the taste is superior.... Plus I love my farmers!

That sounds like a great deal!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Kitnthecat wrote: »

That sounds like a great deal!

That is a ridiculously good deal!! I'm quite jealous! I don't even see how it's possible. I recently was going to get a food delivery service for my family of six they deliver six months of organic or grass fed, (something like that... The good stuff) anyhow they deliver six months at a time and my cost was going to be about 140 a week....just meats. I panicked and canceled last minute because was such a big commitment. And meat is only a portion of what my family needs and it was more than half of my food budget per week. Anyhow if I can find a local farm delivery like that or I could even pick it up I don't care and it was only about 100 per week I would totally do it. I usually get my grass fed beef at Aldi or Costco I don't find it to be too expensive there. Naturally it's more expensive than the other stuff so I don't do it all the time.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    FYI when I said I don't see how it's possible I wasn't saying I don't believe you :-) I'm just amazed that that they can offer that! Lucky bum you are!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I try to go grass fed because I prefer the taste and I think it might be healthier. I think cows are probably supposed to eat grass. I don't think it is needed though.

I had someone arguing grass fed organic meats with me the other day. They were saying how they only eat wild game that they hunted. We live at the edge of the foothills, by the prairies near the Rocky Mountains. Unless they are only hunting the mountains their game meat is probably grass and grain fed from farmers' fields, and it sure isn't organic unless the elk is just staying on an organic farm... Not any of those around here.

I think I kind of wrecked it for her. LOL ;)

That being said, boar has got to be one of the tastiest meats out there. Bison too. Mmmmmm.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All my meat comes from ALDI (in Germany)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have a freezer, so I have to buy meat multiple times a week. I go to the conventional grocery store during the week. But I drive to the farm by me on the weekends. They have beef, lamb and chicken raised on their estate along with wild fowl shot on their estate. The look and taste is distinctively different and offers a much richer flavour. It's a very nice weekend treat, but I couldn't afford to eat like that every day, even if I had time to go there more often.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Just feeding myself runs me about $180-$230 a month, on average. It can be higher if I splurge on large amounts of ribeye. That's the amount I spend on meat, since I don't add anything to it. Of course, my calorie needs (~2800/day) are a lot higher than most people here. Most here could probably cut those numbers almost in half.

In my opinion, spending money on the right food is investing that money in my future. I'm reducing my future medical costs and expenses.