The power of the scale: excited and nervous

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
It's been less than a week since I reduced my carb limit from 50g to less than 30 (my average was around 20 most days) and the scale is showing 5lbs loss so far.
I am excited for this loss but I am also nervous that the loss will be short lived and I will plateau like I usually do.
I realize weight fluctuates up and sometimes it is not a true gain, but does it fluctuate down and what you see is not a true loss?

How long does this big loss usually last for?

Also, I've been using keto sticks and on the days I was around 20, I was showing large amount of ketones. However, on the one day I was at 30g, it was moderate amount of ketones. Does this mean that my carb limit for ketosis is 30g?
Does it also mean that I am now burning fat?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You have less insulin, so you will be in a fat burning mode more often.
    Some of the 5 pounds you lost was water. But not all. Increases in weight from one day to the next, will be water too. They will happen. Don't let it get to you.
    I'm close to goal, so I'm losing very slowly now. It can be very difficult to see progress on the scale sometimes.
    I like using an average weight as my "real weight" instead of what the scale says. I use the app Happy Scale for IOS. I think the Android version is called Libra.
    My 3 month loss trend shoes lots of ups and downs. But the long term trend is very clearly down.
    pzrscea89on1.jpeg

If you just look at this month alone, it would appear that I'm gaining weight right now. But I'm not, because this happens every single month.
    op1g6lctvkep.png

These fluctuations used to really bother me until I started paying attention to the average weight. But, even the average weight will go up and down from one day to the next. I also had to learn to look at the big picture and not a day by day or even week by week weight. Comparing month by month really makes it easier to see the progress. There's simply too much variance with water, hormones and the contents of our gut all month long.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, the Keto sticks are also affected by how diluted your urine is. You can literally water down the pee so it would test lower. And it varies throughout the day.
    You don't have to measure large ketones. That's just showing a concentration at that moment. You're making ketones, so you're producing less insulin and your body is burning fat for fuel and will get better and better at it as you stay on plan.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think most people start using ketones once carb intake is just above 100 (besides what everyone does at night) because our daily glucose needs are over 100g. The ketostix won't show ketones yet until fat is the primary energy source, and ketostix becomes more positive the lower carb you go. If you had positive ketostix at 30g of carbs, you could probably go higher and still get a positive. At 50g of carbs, you were partially in ketosis.

Congrats on the big loss! :). When I "whoosh" like that, it squally lasts a few days up to a couple of weeks and then I slow down some. When I was heavier my slow down was to a pound per week but nw that I am closer to goal, it slows to almost imperceptible. A change in carb level (up or down) calories, using IF or fasting seems to push me into a whoosh again.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thank you, that makes sense. I also use Libra but I don't know how to make graphs like that!
    @nvmomketo the reason I lowred from 50 to 30 was because I wasn't losing on 50 and with the help of wonderful people here it was suggested that I lower it because might be carb sensitive especially since I am IR. I hope this "whoosh" lasts few more lbs to take me to before my recent weight gain :lol: But honestly I would be happy with 1 lb a week
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I whoosh when I lower carbs too. It's a good technique for those of us with IR. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you whoosh a bit longer and settle into 1-2 lbs per week. :). Good luck!