Sweeteners

Options
nilklynn
nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
Hi all, what do you use for artificial sweeteners, particularly in baked goods? Though I try to stay pretty low carb and clean, I like dessert too. For family functions I'd love to go back to my baking ways... And many of them are diabetic. Before I invest, what do you like? Xylitol? Erythritol? Swerve? Blend?

Negative effects?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The little baking I do is usually was granulated Splenda. I'm not a big baker, so I've not played with other sweeteners.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When baking I go for natural - honey, agave, maple syrup - not a huge fan of the artificial ones, I just cut way back on the amounts and up the vanilla a little add in some applesauce (unsweetened) it usually works and works for my diabetic family members too.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda but I'm trying out Stevia this month.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm baking. Generally, I prefer Truvia baking blend, as it measures mostly 1:1 and has no aftertaste and few carbs. I will occasionally use Splenda baking, especially if it's cheesecake. I'm not a fan of the texture when I use Truvia in cheesecakes. I avoid Xylitol, as I have dogs and it's poisonous to them. They don't purposely get human sweet foods, but a snatched bite from the floor could kill them. Erythritol tastes good, but it jacks my blood glucose around a little too much for comfort.

To be honest, it's mostly trial-and-error to see what you like with which recipe and how it affects you.