marathon training: how many training runs/week

Options
Hi runners!!

So I've completed a few half's this year and am ready to move onto my next goal. A marathon on the 24th April.

My question is; most plans I look at have running 5 to 6 times per week.
I find if I don't do strength training my legs fall to pieces and I get riddled with little annoying injuries.

I've been trying to get those 5 or so runs in with my strength training, and I like to do a spinning class once a week, but I find its just too much and my legs aren't recovering between training sessions.

Would It be ideal to train for a marathon with 3 runs a week.
1 long slow run.
1 speed training mid distance run (about 15km)
1 long-ish run with hill repeats this distance would be between 15 and my long run.

And then do my strength training 4x per week and I can still get to my spinning class???

Would this be adequate to train for a marathon?? 3 times a week seems little, would I still progress with this? And I suppose the cross training would be beneficial?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you can train for your BEST marathon on 3 runs a week. Lots of people do get round okay on 3 runs though, so it clearly is possible. I'd be more concerned about the fact that the marathon is only 10 weeks away - you say you've been trying to get more runs in; how long have you been doing that for and what's your current weekly mileage and long run like? If it was me I'd cut back on some of the strength training and run instead of the spinning class.
  • kirstengeffen
    kirstengeffen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I run between 60 and 70km a week! Sorry we don't work with miles.. but I think it's around 40 mi a week???
    My long run at the moment is 25km... I plan on increasing the long run by 2km each week....

It'll be my first marathon.... so I'm just aiming for a finish...

How many runs a week do you recommend? 4 or 5??

Would appreciate input as I'm still relatively new at this!
  • kirstengeffen
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I personally don't think you can train for your BEST marathon on 3 runs a week. Lots of people do get round okay on 3 runs though, so it clearly is possible. I'd be more concerned about the fact that the marathon is only 10 weeks away - you say you've been trying to get more runs in; how long have you been doing that for and what's your current weekly mileage and long run like? If it was me I'd cut back on some of the strength training and run instead of the spinning class.

Thank you for your reply btw :)
  • litsy3
    Options
    Okay, so it sounds like you've got a reasonable base and running experience, but with 10 weeks to go, I'd want to be building on that, not cutting back on the runs. If you are already an experienced competitive runner I think you should get rid of the 'it's my first so I just want to finish' idea; there's no reason you shouldn't finish and if you are going to dedicate all the training and recovery time to the marathon, why not try and do well? Given that you are already running 60-70km/week with a long run of 25km, I'd probably suggest running at least 5 times, especially as you increase the distance of the long run. This should make it easier to do the long runs, as you'll have more easy running in the rest of the week to back it up.

I'm also doing a marathon on 24 April, btw, and am doing a short build-up like you, because I had to take December off to rehab an injury. I'm now back to running at least 80km per week in 6 or 7 runs, and feel MUCH fitter than I did on the lower mileage. It's the aerobic fitness that'll get you round the marathon comfortably, not the shorter-distance speed.
  • kirstengeffen
    Options
    You're totally right!!!
    I'm going into this with the wrong attitude!!

I'm gonna give it a shot running more frequently!!

The next pickle I'm in... I gained 6kgs over dec that I haven't managed to shake.. so I'm carrying an extra 6kgs when I run n boy can I feel it..

But running with a calorie deficit is not ideal... but think I'm gonna have to try a small deficit to satisfy nutrition requirements but still be able to run
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think you could train OK with 3 runs, since those runs are long; usually when people say 3 runs a week, they mean a couple 3-5 mile runs and then a 20 miler on the weekend, which is not good training. But if you're hitting ~40 miles a week over 3 days, those are three very long runs, but that also leaves time open to strength train and cross train the other 4 days of the week. It's not an ideal way to train, in my opinion, but if it doesn't work out for you at this race (which, at 10 weeks away, is not much time to train at all anyhow) then you can adjust for next time.
  • litsy3
    Options
    (which, at 10 weeks away, is not much time to train at all anyhow) then you can adjust for next time.

As I've got an under-prepared marathon coming up in just 10 weeks, can we all pretend it's loads of time, please?
  • kirstengeffen
    Options
    (which, at 10 weeks away, is not much time to train at all anyhow) then you can adjust for next time.

As I've got an under-prepared marathon coming up in just 10 weeks, can we all pretend it's loads of time, please?
    I agree haha... though I've been consistently ttaining since around sept last year... just haven't pushed further than 21km... so are least my base is strong...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When I moved to marathon training and the mileage was getting up there, I cut down to two strength training sessions/week. I was running 5 days/week plus one day a week of biking. On my one scheduled "rest" day, I'd do only upper body strength workouts.

edit: I was doing strength training 3x a week on a whole body 5x5 program before I moved my mileage up.
  • kirstengeffen
    Options
    My question is just with 5 running days and such high mileage... does The body have enough time to recover??? I struggle with fatigue in my legs with consecutive runs... I think it's in my head though "I ran yesterday.. so my legs are tired today"
    I need to get my head right!

Anything you guys do to promote muscle recovery??
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first marathon, my peak weekly mileage was (only) 54 miles and I was running 5 days a week. One day was completely off, one day was cross-training (elliptical is my choice, but spinning is a good option) and I did bodyweight strength training 2-4x a week until the last month before the marathon (at which point I dropped down to once a week). I found it much easier to recover while eating at maintenance.

I recommend reading http://www.amazon.com/YOU-Only-Faster-Greg-McMillan/dp/1620304422 - he talks you through crafting personalized plans that match how many days a week you can manage to run and what types of workouts are hardest for your body to recover from.

While I agree that you are definitely capable of setting a stronger goal than "just to finish" given your level of fitness and planning, I'd caution against establishing crazy racing expectations for yourself. I set some realistic finishing time goals based on my training runs, but ended up feeling really disappointed at the end of my first marathon (despite BQ!) because I didn't hit all the goals I'd set up for myself. Looking back, I wish I'd calmed down a bit and just enjoyed my first time.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I've never run less than 5 days a week, except for when I was a beginner and just jogging on alternate days for fitness. One issue might be pace - if you are pushing or trying to run fast each time, then you might be tired the next day. The easy solution is to slow it down a bit. I did a track session last night but just went out for a nice easy run about 2 and a half minutes per mile slower than my marathon pace, and I'll be fine to train hard tomorrow. But I know people who would never run as slow as I just did (even though they don't race as fast) because they feel disappointed if their easy runs come out slow.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    My question is just with 5 running days and such high mileage... does The body have enough time to recover??? I struggle with fatigue in my legs with consecutive runs... I think it's in my head though "I ran yesterday.. so my legs are tired today"

1. Build a strong base before starting marathon training. (oops, we're past that time now)

2. Have no more than 2 quality workouts in a 5 day week. All other runs should be easy. Easy helps you recover. Keep them easy even when you feel great.

3. Rest on rest days.

4. Treat strength work as maintenance. Give yourself a pass if you feel beat up. Just don't skip the same strength exercises all the time; you should know which ones are needed to support your running, and not let them slide for weeks on end.

5. Get enough sleep. If sleeping late is impractical, this means strictly enforcing an early enough bed time.

6. If your running mileage is ramped up to more than you've ever run, consider giving yourself a pass on other cardio. I've had to cut out my longer walks; you may have to forego the spinning class.

That's the stuff I have to concentrate on. I'm currently running 6 days a week, in week 9 of a countdown from 16, and running more distance per week than I ever have in my life. I am shocked at how good I feel after a 6 mile (10K) recovery run.

FWIW, BAA sent me a link to training plans. They have 4 day, 5 day, and 6 day plans that they show to people who are registered for Boston. I'm not sure anyone actually uses those plans, though; I think most people who BQ have figured out how to run a marathon.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I made a couple of changes in my lifting/running due to recovery. I had to deload on some of my lifts because I simply couldn't recover like I did when I wasn't running and would fail lifts. I also learned to run slow and easy and not do every run fast. My legs were tired, but I was running at 60 to 90 seconds per mile slower than I would in the race.

And I'd also add, eat enough. Trying to lose weight while following such a strenuous workout regiment is going to be a recipe for misery and reduced performance. I got to my race weight for running BEFORE undertaking my marathon training cycle.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Haha, well for someone named @litsy3 who did a 2:52 marathon a year ago, it's plenty of time! :P But for OP? Not so much, as it's her first go around.
  • kirstengeffen
    Options

Haha, well for someone named @litsy3 who did a 2:52 marathon a year ago, it's plenty of time! :P But for OP? Not so much, as it's her first go around.

You guys are making me scared
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

You guys are making me scared

You will be fine!! Especially if you are aiming just to finish and not for a specific time/pace goal. You will enjoy the experience and relish in the accomplishment, I'm sure. In all honesty, the training IS the hard part. If you put the work in there, the race itself should be enjoyable.

In answer to your question above regarding recovery with 5 days of running per week, I will just second what has already been said. Only two of those days should be at hard effort. The other days should be slow and easy miles, or what is referred to as "recovery runs". This is critical. If you do all of those runs at max effort, then, no, you will not have time to recover between each run. But if you take it slow, those easy run days will feel almost like rest days. @MobyCarp hit on some excellent points.
  • OrionSlayer
    OrionSlayer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My question is; most plans I look at have running 5 to 6 times per week.
    I find if I don't do strength training my legs fall to pieces and I get riddled with little annoying injuries.

Sorry I can't give an answer to your question but I would like to ask you what sort of strength training you do for your legs. I have not done any weight lifting for a LONG time and thought adding some might help make me a little faster or endure better. What lifts (squats, leg curls, etc.) do you do and how often?

Maybe I can suggest something that will answer part of your question. Instead of doing as many days of lifting focused on your legs, you could do hill repeats. The extra effort to go up hill might be able to substitute for a weight training session. You would get a run in and a "weight training" session and save time. Would hill repeats (or some king of hill work) give the same benefits as lifting?
  • OrionSlayer
    Options
    Hey! I found an article this morning from Runner's World that sort of talks to your question. Hope it helps: Why Do My Legs Fatigue Before I'm Out of Breath?
  • OrionSlayer
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

4. Treat strength work as maintenance. Give yourself a pass if you feel beat up. Just don't skip the same strength exercises all the time; you should know which ones are needed to support your running, and not let them slide for weeks on end.

I have not used weight lifting while running. I used to lift regularly, but stopped when I took up bike riding and running. Now after ten years I think it would help me be a better bicyclist/runner if I lifted again.

Do you have any resources or posts you can recommend on lifting that benefits running? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.