You know what I did today? You will have to read the post. :)

Options
2»

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »
    Way to go, Mo!

It will get easier and less painful as you gain strength and endurance. Take it slow!

FWIW, new shoes completely cured my shin splints. Maybe have a running store fit you for some good shoes if you plan to keep running.

Very much this!

Also, keep an eye on your form. Poor form will leave you prone to injury probably even moreso than your weight. Running shouldn't be painful from the impact and if it is, you should probably tweak things. A good running store might be able to help you with that, too.

Good luck, and congrats on running for 2.5 minutes!

I don't even know what proper running form is, but I guess I can look it up on YouTube to see it in action.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You're determination is inspiring :) Here's wishing you good health, and a 5 minute jog!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just saw this. Congrats! :). That is how they teach running now: run a little and walk. Good for you!

Ditto the others on shoes. Getting fitted for proper running or walking shoes from a running store made a HUGE difference for me.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your story is so inspiring! Congrats on choosing to step up to the challenge, and best wishes for continued success.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    Yessir... I used to bike ride 100 miles a week 20 years ago. Would like to get back to that number.

You will! go, Motown, go!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    2.5 minutes is a long time. So well done. 8. months ago I could only hope for 5 minute walks - go 2.5 minutes from my front door and then return back home. Now 8 months later (and 76lbs less) I can walk for over 2 hours straight. Just built it up an extra 2.5 minutes each way every day.

So 2.5 minutes is such a special amount for me. You have planted the seed that I need to add running in increments. Not sure if it will be in 2.5 minute increments will be achievable, but 0.5 minutes sounds like enough to keep building on. Thanks for the seed, now I need to grow it.
  • LiftRunRepeat22
    LiftRunRepeat22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @motown13 I absolutely LOVE this post! No laughing matter, you're doing awesome!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AWESOME! I am the same way - never thought I could run, just wasnt in my "genes". But low and behold, if you start, and be consistent, suddenly.. it just works!

As for knees etc... I searched high and low for the right treadmill, and I have been using it for over 10 years. They dont sell it anymore, but I have a spare motor and motherboard just in case. It made ALL the difference. No other treadmill comes close. The highest I have ever gotten is 2 miles on a treadmill at the gym and it felt like concrete. I have easily run six miles on my home treadmill and only stopped out of boredome.

Mine is a NordicTrack 7100R, an old one. It has a bamboo like board that is flexible . It "gives" about 3 inches and "pops" you back up. I am sure I dont burn as many calories since it "helps" me, but I dont hurt at all and I can run forever. I have no idea what I will do if it is ever broken beyond repair.

In any case, treadmills (other than mine) are rough and hard. Maybe try running in grass or soft dirt? No pavement or anything. Its worth experimenting a little or looking for a better treadmill. or go to a local high school track - I think those are made with bouncy stuff.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    2.5 minutes IS a long time! Your accomplishment and excitement is inspiring! Keep it up!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    What a great start to my day!1 I am so inspired by you!! Thanks!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hey 2.5 mins is longer than I can run right now and I'm 31. Big congrats to you! Embrace all your NSVs!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Prior to starting this WOE I couldn't walk 80 feet (to my garage and back) without being out of breath. Saturday I walked 5 min on the treadmill and spent 15 min on the bike. ... and felt good. Hooray for KETO.
  • lkarlheim
    lkarlheim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    2.5 minutes is nothing to laugh at! I will be so happy when I work up to being able to run that long! Good for you, you should be proud!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, you inspired me to give it a try myself. I almost made it 2 minutes! So, yes 2.5 minutes is fantastic! :wink:
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well, Thanks and Good luck to you..... headed to the gym tonight, and shooting for 3:15.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This is a great post and a great accomplishment! No shame at all!

My only caution would be to pay attention to what your feet and knees tell you. Running used to be my go-to exercise for fitness and to lose weight. Over the years, unbeknownst to me, I developed pretty severe plantar fasciitis, to the point where I now don't run at all and even limit my walking most of the time. I'm in great shape in other ways, but impact exercise isn't one of them, for now. It IS a lot of impact on your joints.

On the bright side, LCHF makes most of my joint pain disappear, as long as I don't overdo it with high impact exercise or standing all day. (I'm a stay-at-home-mom of three little kids, and I can count on one hand the number of minutes I spend sitting or laying down in an average day, until I go to bed.)
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs up from me!!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    WTG!