Not Keto Related - Need Therapy

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
I work in a call center. This was my last phone call. What kind of Friday *kitten* is this?

This customer has been manually paying his account despite
having cancelled it.

He called to ask why we are still billing him despite him
cancelling it. Explained to him that we are not billing
him, his account is in credit and we owed him a refund.

Proceeded to process the refund. Explained to the customer
many times that WE owe HIM money, but he did not
understand. No language barrier, just seemed that he heard
the opposite of what I told him every time. Accused me of
lying to him when I told him we were going to give back the
money that he'd overpaid (not sure why). Kept telling me
he'd "take care of it today". The more I told him WE had
to pay HIM not the other way around he got annoyed. Call
ended with him telling me he'd pay it today, and me saying
"fine" ... because I couldn't make him listen.

I expect he may make further payment on this account
despite me telling him his account is cancelled and I am
going to refund him the overpayment.

So yeah ... I died a little inside dealing with this guy.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Oh geez I know the feeling. Sometimes you end up feeling like you must be crazy lol
  • DietPrada
    Options
    This guy was NOT language challenged. And neither am I. He spoke perfect educated english, and kept using my name in a condescending way like I was bullshitting to him. He did not sound retarded. Nor did he sound like he was joking. Hands down the worst call I've had all week, and certainly the most bizzaar (and I've had some real *kitten* ... but straight *kitten* I can handle).
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    ROLFLMAO!!!! I worked in a call center for medical healthcare / insurance a long time ago and the conversation you shared above reminds me of one I had that I've never forgotten because it was soooooo unbelievable:

"Caller: I'm calling because my Doctor said I should.
    Me: Okay, how may I help you?
    Caller: Uh, I don't know. My Doctor told me to call.
    Me: Okay, so how can I help you?"

The conversation went round and round like for probably 10 minutes. The person calling literally had no idea why they were calling or what they were calling for but perhaps this explaines it...they were from Tennessee.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's just nuts! He must be suffering from some serious carby brain fog! Lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yep I work in sales and get some crazy stuff, usually they just don't understand what's being discussed. Your call sounds really strange. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm being punked lol
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Yep I work in sales and get some crazy stuff, usually they just don't understand what's being discussed. Your call sounds really strange. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm being punked lol

Yep, I wanted to say "are you messing with me mate? you can't be for real"

If I have to deal with him again, I'm going to give him his own bank account details and tell him it's his new billing details and he can pay himself every month. Or me. Maybe I'll give him my details :P
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    ROLFLMAO!!!! I worked in a call center for medical healthcare / insurance a long time ago and the conversation you shared above reminds me of one I had that I've never forgotten because it was soooooo unbelievable:

"Caller: I'm calling because my Doctor said I should.
    Me: Okay, how may I help you?
    Caller: Uh, I don't know. My Doctor told me to call.
    Me: Okay, so how can I help you?"

The conversation went round and round like for probably 10 minutes. The person calling literally had no idea why they were calling or what they were calling for but perhaps this explaines it...they were from Tennessee.

Ahem. I'm from Tennessee. I'm pretty darn sharp and have a degree.
    Now there are some real dumb@sses that live here. I can't deny.
    But Tennessee doesn't have the monopoly on dumb@sses. I've met dumb@ssery everywhere I've traveled in the US. I'm convinced it's a pandemic. They are nation-wide TYVM. :tongue:
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Definitely a pandemic. I work in post secondary. .. "why is there a fail on my transcript?"

Me:" Did you complete or withdraw from the course?"

"No, I didn't even open my books"

Blink blink
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Reminds me of a joke:

Lady walks into the ice cream shop and asks for a gallon of chocolate ice cream. The clerk says "I'm sorry, we're all out of chocolate." The lady looks around for a bit then asks for a pint of chocolate ice cream instead. The clerk says "I'm really sorry, but we don't have any chocolate ice cream at all" The lady looks around again, sighs and says "Ok, I'll settle for a cone of chocolate ice cream."

The clerk pauses and says "ok, let's play a game. Can you tell me where the 's' in strawberry is?"

lady: yeah, it's at the beginning of course.
    clerk: what about the 'n' in vanilla?
    lady: it's the third letter, this is a stupid game
    clerk: what about the 'f' in chocolate?
    lady (confused): You're mistaken, there is no 'f' in chocolate.
    clerk: That's what I'm trying to tell you, THERE'S NO EFFIN CHOCOLATE!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Lol!!

@baconslave, I'm glad she didn't use "Mississippi" lol! I thought of you though! Lol! Yes, stupid is everywhere! And they make more!! Hahaha! :smiley:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We had a fun one this week.

We explained to the caller that he'd need to call in to a doctor directly to ask any medical questions. His response was "Okay, what about the _______ [enter body part / system]". We repeated, rephrased, etc the same response, and he asked about another body part / system. This went on for 26 minutes.

Aren't call centers fun?! :grimace:
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not to seem weird, but I'm NOT an employee at a call center, and I've called MANY of them, only to get some script that addresses the topic of my inquiry, but not the substance of it. What's up with that?
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get something similar conversing with patients - I'm a dentist
    Me: this tooth needs to come out it is badly damaged
    patient: but I don't want to have an ugly space there
    Me: we can replace it with an implant, a bridge, or a denture
    patient: but I can't afford any of that
    Me: your insurance covers the dentures
    Patient: I don't like how dentures look
    Me: well I suppose then there will be a space
    Patient: but I don't want to have a space there
    :/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not to seem weird, but I'm NOT an employee at a call center, and I've called MANY of them, only to get some script that addresses the topic of my inquiry, but not the substance of it. What's up with that?

Depends on the call center, but a lot of times, it's due to how the center works. A lot of them might as well be bots, for what little they can go off script. They also have strict time limits for how long they can be on any given call. If it can't be addressed with a script, it gets escalated.

Yeah, there's a reason the local call center is known as "the soul-sucking job from hell."
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Depends on the call center, but a lot of times, it's due to how the center works. A lot of them might as well be bots, for what little they can go off script. They also have strict time limits for how long they can be on any given call. If it can't be addressed with a script, it gets escalated.

Yeah, there's a reason the local call center is known as "the soul-sucking job from hell."

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying it. :smile:
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Yep this exactly. I worked in one years ago. Many are very controlled, every minute of there call is logged and tracked, time logged out of there phone is tracked, etc. It's as if they really want robots to do the work but had to settle for humans and try to force them to behave like robots. I couldn't work a call center again.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ....Yep it's clear that ignorance is everywhere