Team Daryl Meat and Greet

Replies

• Lollieio
    Lollieio Posts: 27 Member
    Challenge #1: I have been doing a 10 minute workout while my baby naps, but since I start a new job on Monday I will have to find a new routine by trial and error.

My plan is to drink only water at work and bring a fairly healthy lunch everyday. Since I'll be working, that will help with my snacking during the day. I also plan to take the stairs instead of the elevator and I am going to try to do my workout after work.
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Challenge #1

That's a good question! I am gonna need to make a schedule and stick to it for the exercise portion. It really shouldn't be too hard. As for the nutrition part. I need to keep it clean so logging is easier. That seams to be where I fall off track. If there is too much to log like with complex recipes or if I snacked more than I should, I won't log. I definately know what my flaws are. I just need to focus on correcting those bad habits.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    How do you find out how many minutes of cardio and strength you need to do?
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    edited February 2016
    OH! I understand now! My bad! Can I change my goals only because they were overall goals, I totally misunderstood. Here are my new goals:

1. Exercise for at least four days a week whether it be cardio or strength for at least an hour (Saturdays are my only day off)
    2. Keep to my calorie limits and NEVER go over
    3. Log what I eat every single day
    4. Drink a glass of water a day
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    OH! I understand now! My bad! Can I change my goals only because they were overall goals, I totally misunderstood. Here are my new goals:

1. Exercise for at least four days a week whether it be cardio or strength for at least an hour (Saturdays are my only day off)
    2. Keep to my calorie limits and NEVER go over
    3. Log what I eat every single day
    4. Drink a glass of water a day
    Great goals!
    Yes, I decided to have people make their own goals/habits this time, as each individual knows what is best for them and don't need x number of cardio minutes pushed on them unwillingly. Lol.

• Cindyinpg
    Don't forget to post your score on the Gore Card some time this weekend! We don't want to lose anyone to the Walkers.
  • MelleighRuns
    MelleighRuns Posts: 1 Member
    Is it too late to join?
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Hey everyone! My name is Jessie and I'm choosing Carl as my character :)

My goals are:
    1) To continue walking for 30+ minutes daily
    2) Do at least 5 or 6 pomodoros daily (time management technique)
    3) Eat less processed foods/drink less soda
    4) Keep my glucose levels under control

Bonus point #1: My plan is to keep up with my walking everyday, and even try to do some of the walking outside whenever the weather is nice. I also want to try and stay off of my butt as much as I can since I'm not working because of medical reasons. I want to try and get up to 10,000 steps a day through walking. I'm going to try and make sure I don't take in too much excess sugar so my blood sugar levels are in check by the next time I get my A1C checked in May. I want to try and consume as little processed/fast foods as possible, so I'll try to cook meals at home and buy frozen veggies. I also plan to do the 10 day green smoothie cleanse since my mom has done it and she feels great! :)
  • Cindyinpg
    edited February 2016
    Winning team and top ranked players are posted in the Winners and Walkers thread. Missing players have 48 hours to post their score or we must assume that you have been Bit. you know what they say about 48 hours and missing people.
    Congrats to the survivors! New challenge will be posted in a few hours.
  • Aprilstar480
    I'm gonna need some extra credit to catch up I think ;) No worries, at least I'm not "missing"! I'd hate to be fighting all alone.

Challenge #1~ To keep my diet on track the first thing I do is only buy healthy foods. I get most of my groceries from the outer perimeter of the store cause that is where they keep the fresh stuff :D Then I have smaller bags and plastic containers that help me to portion my snack foods. This really helps with the kids too! Instead of grabbing a whole box of wheat thins and gobbling it up in one setting we now have a set amount per serving.

Lately I have been buying more "turkey" alternatives like ground turkey or turkey bacon. I absolutely love meat but I looked back at my journal and found that most days that i was over on fat it was due to my protein choices. I also like to browse the vegetarian section at the store. They actually have some really good alternative products. Spicy black bean veggie burgers are delicious!

The other thing I always try to do is to change it up... don't get stuck in a rut with the same ole stereotypical health foods. Try new foods and new recipes as often as possible to keep it interesting and avoid burn out. Its amazing what you can find through a simple google search. Twice in the last week I've served dinner and my husband said "this isn't healthy!" but in reality with the right ingredients and maybe a few substitutions what looks to be full of calories can actually be really delicious and good for you at the same time!

Challenge #2~ I LOVE SALLY'S!!! I got a set done today. I might have to do more this week since Cindy found such an appealing video :wink:

My goals:
    Log all of my meals
    Ab work 4 days a week, at least 50 reps~ 2/4
    Upper Body work 4 days a week, at least 50 reps~ 2/4
    Cardio 3 days a week for at least 30 minutes~ 1/3
    Challenge #1~ 1 Point
    Challenge #2~ 1 Point
    Challenge #3~ will do Friday

• ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Bonus Point Challenge #1
    Orange Crush, Kit Kats and Mints.

Tell your team your strategy for eating healthier.

This week I made Mason Jar Greek Salads for work. I don't typically bring salads to work, as it takes time to prep. However, the Mason jar salads were amazing. I prepped them all at once and they stayed fresh until I ate the final one on Thursday. That is definitely a strategy I will use again.

Other than that, my plan includes incorporating lots of veggies to make my meals delicious and satisfying. I use sugar free Jello to satisfy my sweet cravings (I am not a huge eater of sweets anyway, so it is enough for me). My movie treat is a Coke Zero.

Bonus Point Challenge #3
    Eugene

I worked my calves to failure.

• Cindyinpg
    Orange Crush, Kit Kats and Mints
    I love these kinds of foods, so I definitely try to still have them either by having less or finding great substitutes. Every day, I'll plan a dessert, but it will either be a portion controlled snack like a Drumstick or something that is already quite low calorie and has decent macros, like angel food cake with frozen yogurt. I'll have a protein granola bar instead of a Kit kat and diet pop or flavored water instead of a full calorie pop/soda.
  • Dictorbutt
    Dictorbutt Posts: 2,164 Member
    Bonus #1
    Regarding healthier alternatives or actions taken to combat:
    I have made changes by changing to Whole Wheat and high fiber choices. I typically try to cut all the "crap" food out but in the case where I do indulge I TRY to work it off by dancing or walking The Strip. Although lately the bad choices are taking their toll. More dancing I think... Or running from zombies. ;) I also drink more water to flush. ;)
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    Bonus #1

The biggest change I've made to my eating habits is focusing on macros, specifically protein (thanks MFP!) When I started learning about how to set macros, I realized I had been eating less than half the amount of protein that was recommended. Once I amped up the protein, I was able to keep a better handle on my caloric intake and cut it appropriately without feeling hungry or dealing with the yo-yo effects of dieting.
  • Cindyinpg
    edited March 2016
    Bonus Challenge #1
    My Abraham A'ha moment was only about 5 years ago now. I had smoked from when I was 14 until I was 39. Quit just before my 40th birthday. Yay me.

But, I've always had lousy eating habits and after that I went from overweight, 200ish on a 5'11 frame to a severely obese 300 lbs. I had a sedentary job, was happily married and was still able to do everything and was actually feeling healthier because of being a new non smoker.

So, then comes along our annual fair. (Lol. I've read many success stories and I know I share this carnival ride A'ha moment with many other people.).

So, there's me and my husband, standing in line at the Ferris Wheel. Me with my greasy bag of mini donuts and we get to the front of the line and the carny (he's just a kid of about 16) looks mortified and tells us that we have to stand off to the side until he finds "other customers like us to balance the ride."

So, of course, there's no one in the line behind us but slim teenagers, so I had a good 5 or 10 minutes to stand in the sun, feeling mortified myself. Waiting for more people "my size". In that time those people never came and we walked off, pretending to be disgusted.

I went home and was going to do what I had done a dozen times before, clear the junk food out of the house, swear to only eat salads, tuna and bananas for the rest of my life.... but that night I saw this cell phone commercial that showed the Myfitnesspal App. I became a member and learned from.the forums. Weighed and logged and learned about iifym and eventually lost the weight. I still go up and down and often get kicked out of Onederland at Christmas time. But that's okay. :smiley:

Bonus Challenge #2

I still don't have the best eating habits. I eat like a 14 year old boy. Hamburgers and fries. I have take out on occasion. A salad is a rarity. So there's lots for me to work on.

• ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Bonus Point Challenge
    #1 - All Players

Abraham's A'ha Moment

I lost over 80 pounds about 5 years ago. Maintaining the loss was a huge accomplishment as I'd been a yo-yo dieter for many years.

This fall I had some difficulties with my breathing that made exercising difficult. Exercise has always been an important component of my lifestyle, and being limited in that regard gave me a bad attitude and I just stopped even trying with my eating. I put on about 25 pounds. I outgrew all of my cute clothes - I was still squeezing into them, but it was becoming clear that I was either going to have to start cleaning up my act or buy new clothes!

I was able to compromise with my exercising - I hate the treadmill, but right now that is my best option, so I'm just sucking it up. Getting my eating habits back on track was a lot easier. Things are heading back in the right direction, and I accept responsibility for letting myself get so off track.

Bonus Point Challenge #2 - All Players

I am a high volume eater. I really depend on plenty of vegetables in order to eat healthily - if I'm not filling up on veggies, then I'm filling up on foods that are too calorie dense to allow me to eat the quantities that I enjoy while maintaining a calorie deficit. Today I ate a huge Mason jar Greek salad for lunch, then had a Mason jar taco salad for dinner. Yum! The Mason jar salads are helping me to eat more salads than I normally do because all of the preparation is done on the weekend. I just keep browsing on Pinterest and other sites to find healthy recipes that look delicious.
  • Aprilstar480
    Challenge #1

I guess my a'ha moment would have been about 8 years ago. I went through a period of time where i simply didn't like what i saw when I looked in the mirror. My youngest kid was about year old but twice in one week I was asked if I was pregnant! It was an ugly emotional mess every morning when I had to get dressed. I decided I was done with it and started reading labels and recording what I ate. It was a struggle for a while... my morning tears turned into evening tears when i realized it was 4pm and i had already eaten all my calories for the day! My weight has fluctuated about 25lbs within this time with my highest being 175 and lowest (on my wedding day) 150lbs. I'm on that downward slope again right now and I'm pushing to get to my healthy weight.

Challenge #2

I'm a huge veggie eater! I don't eat quite as much fruit but I can easily eat 6 servings of veggies a day. This week I will focus on eating at least one piece of fruit a day and watching my fiber intake. I know in the past fiber has been a hard one for me to meet.