Protein Shakes and Vitamins

Options
karajo333
karajo333 Posts: 23 Member
So what did you find for vitamins and protein shakes? I'm experimenting at the moment but everything I've found tastes chalky and my stomach hates me for drinking/eating them!!! I want something that's tastes GOOD! I've tried Strawberries 'n Creme Muscle Milk (didn't mind it) and Caramel Cafe Atkins (chalky after taste).

Vitamin-wise, I can't STAND anything that's like Tums--feeling, tasting, ANYTHING.

Replies

• Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein Shakes are pretty good---I usually don't like chocolate, but that is the shake I like. I did not care for the vanilla and the strawberry tasted very similar to the vanilla. As for vitamins........my nut. reccomends Flinstones Vitamins Complete (4 a day)-they are not bad tasting, but I have NO idea what Tums is like as I have never had to take it, so can't compare that.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Karajo, do you need chewable vitamins recommendations? I took the celebrate chewable, which have the consistency of a starburst. can't say I liked the flavors but I was able to tolerate them long enough to be cleared to take pill vitamins. Now I take a women multi from a brand called rainbow light.

As for protein powder. I have tried Unjury, Isopure, Syntrax, Dynamize ISO 100, Jay Robb and a few other brands. I mostly stick to powders as I have not liked any of the remade drinks. I could tolerate the premade isopure drinks that look like sports drinks but only at the very beginning when I was on a liquid only diet.

do you have a lactose intolerance? or is it something else that is upsetting your stomach? I know there are some pea protein based powders and other options as well. Look for places that can sell you sample packs and don't stock up pre surgery as your tastes can change afterwards. I still have 1.5 tubs of protein powder I can't stand now as my tastes changed.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes have calcium, so my nut counts two of those as two of my three daily calcium supplements. I take Baruatric Advantage calcium chews for the balance, and Bariatric Advantage Multi-EA chewables which gets me everything else (including iron).
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also use Premier when I have a premade shake. The taste is better to me than other ones. My main source of protein in the Genepro powder(amazon). It gives you 30g of protein in only 1TBSP and has almost no taste. I mix it with almost anything hot or cold. I also mix it with a product called Secure Meal Replacement(many wonderful flavors and sold on HSN). It gives me extra vitamins, minerals, another 7g of protein and only has about 63 cal. plus the 98 from Genepro not bad for a total of 37g of protein. As far a chewable vitamins I was on a auto delivery that was paid by my prescription plan. They were called Bariactiv and were yucky but I took them. I've tried samples of other bariatric vitamins and found them to be yucky also. many will send samples so you could try them before you buy them. I am so glad that I can take regular capsules now. I had the sleeve and was given the ok for capsules after 3 months. You are going to have to try different things and see what works for you and don't forget to run it by your nutritionist.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk Pro and occasionally Premier. No others have the nutritional profile or texture I'm willing to deal with. For vitamins, I stick with the Bariatric Advantage capsules, because those stay down even on my worst days.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this came up. There was a health fair at my gym Monday and I finally found out why I've been unable to tolerate ANY protein drinks. It turns out that most protein powders have a small disclaimer someplace on the tub that indicates they are manufactured in processing plants where a lot of high allergen items are also processed (peanuts, shellfish, etc.). I have a shellfish allergy - it is very likely that I was reacting to that, which is why I would become violently nauseated whenever I drank them.

That said, I was able to tolerate Isopure because it is simple whey isolate. I had to mix it into food, but it worked. Just wanted to give you all a heads up just in case anyone else has allergies.

As for vitamins, the same health fair guys gave me a drink powder to try out that's a daily vitamin substitute. Can't remember the name right now, but I'll review it once I try it out.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Her Whey Vanilla cupcake is delicious, yes I said it delicious. My nutritionist turned me on to it and I wouldn't try any other brand.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like Quest brand protein powder, Ideal Lean chocolate and Isopure powder. In ready mix I can do the EAS low carb, the premier protein (though not my favorite) and the best ones are Lean Builder Rockin Refuel by Shamrock Farms. As far as vitamins I like the Wild Berry Chrystals by Bariatric Advantage. Celebrate Vitamins has some decent protein shake, multivitamin & calcium combined powders.
  • karajo333
    Options
    Karajo, do you need chewable vitamins recommendations? I took the celebrate chewable, which have the consistency of a starburst. can't say I liked the flavors but I was able to tolerate them long enough to be cleared to take pill vitamins. Now I take a women multi from a brand called rainbow light.

As for protein powder. I have tried Unjury, Isopure, Syntrax, Dynamize ISO 100, Jay Robb and a few other brands. I mostly stick to powders as I have not liked any of the remade drinks. I could tolerate the premade isopure drinks that look like sports drinks but only at the very beginning when I was on a liquid only diet.

do you have a lactose intolerance? or is it something else that is upsetting your stomach? I know there are some pea protein based powders and other options as well. Look for places that can sell you sample packs and don't stock up pre surgery as your tastes can change afterwards. I still have 1.5 tubs of protein powder I can't stand now as my tastes changed.

I actually haven't tried ANY powders yet... that's something I should definitely look into. I just need chewables for the first few weeks. Where can you buy the Celebrate chewables and Isopure?

I am somewhat lactose intolerant. I have found with the pre-made shakes like Muscle Milk and Atkins that my stomach is SUPER queasy after drink them.

Ooooh, I never thought of sample packs!! Thanks for all the info! I have some researching to do! :)
  • karajo333
    Options
    I also use Premier when I have a premade shake. The taste is better to me than other ones. My main source of protein in the Genepro powder(amazon). It gives you 30g of protein in only 1TBSP and has almost no taste. I mix it with almost anything hot or cold. I also mix it with a product called Secure Meal Replacement(many wonderful flavors and sold on HSN). It gives me extra vitamins, minerals, another 7g of protein and only has about 63 cal. plus the 98 from Genepro not bad for a total of 37g of protein. As far a chewable vitamins I was on a auto delivery that was paid by my prescription plan. They were called Bariactiv and were yucky but I took them. I've tried samples of other bariatric vitamins and found them to be yucky also. many will send samples so you could try them before you buy them. I am so glad that I can take regular capsules now. I had the sleeve and was given the ok for capsules after 3 months. You are going to have to try different things and see what works for you and don't forget to run it by your nutritionist.

I never thought of asking for samples. Complete "DUH" moment! LOL. I will look into the Bariactiv and see if my insurance plan does anything like that. Thanks for all the info!! I really appreciate it!
  • karajo333
    Options
    I'm glad this came up. There was a health fair at my gym Monday and I finally found out why I've been unable to tolerate ANY protein drinks. It turns out that most protein powders have a small disclaimer someplace on the tub that indicates they are manufactured in processing plants where a lot of high allergen items are also processed (peanuts, shellfish, etc.). I have a shellfish allergy - it is very likely that I was reacting to that, which is why I would become violently nauseated whenever I drank them.

That said, I was able to tolerate Isopure because it is simple whey isolate. I had to mix it into food, but it worked. Just wanted to give you all a heads up just in case anyone else has allergies.

As for vitamins, the same health fair guys gave me a drink powder to try out that's a daily vitamin substitute. Can't remember the name right now, but I'll review it once I try it out.

I'd definitely like a follow-up on the powder! And now that you say that about the allergies...I have a shellfish allergy! No wonder I'm nauseous every time I drink them!

Thanks!
  • karajo333
    Options
    ellelive wrote: »
    Her Whey Vanilla cupcake is delicious, yes I said it delicious. My nutritionist turned me on to it and I wouldn't try any other brand.

Where can I buy this? I prefer to run into a store if I can but will buy online. :)
  • karajo333
    Options
    Dannadl wrote: »
    I like Quest brand protein powder, Ideal Lean chocolate and Isopure powder. In ready mix I can do the EAS low carb, the premier protein (though not my favorite) and the best ones are Lean Builder Rockin Refuel by Shamrock Farms. As far as vitamins I like the Wild Berry Chrystals by Bariatric Advantage. Celebrate Vitamins has some decent protein shake, multivitamin & calcium combined powders.

Everyone seems to like the Isopure and Bariatric Advantage! I will definitely have to try these! Thanks!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Also to add: Be sure you are not taking anything with Iron within 2 hours of taking your Calcium Citrate. The body can not absorb one, when the other is in the system.

I've been a fan of the Centrum Silver Chewables (no Iron) and the Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate wafers.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a tough time with the Vitamins as well. I'm doing the Flintstones chewable with no iron, and as far as calcium goes, I'm drinking 1 1/2 cups of Fair Life fat free milk a day in my decaf coffee. (Also the Fair Life has loads more Protein than regular milk!) I also take Biotin and B12. I just finished 3 month labs post surgery last week and I didn't have any deficiencies, so I think the milk is working for the Vitamin D and Calcium. I was high in the iron department, but they are contributing that to maybe being my liver since I have Stage 2 Liver disease. Hopefully, that will improve with continued weight loss. I also drink the EAS AdvantEDGE available at Walmart in the Strawberry Cream. They are really good. 1 a day.......
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    karajo333 wrote: »
    ellelive wrote: »

Where can I buy this? I prefer to run into a store if I can but will buy online. :)

Unfortunately I buy it online. buy a two for one and it lasts quite awhile.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I love Syntrax Nectar powders. You can get their sample pack pretty cheap. I love theirs for their flavors. I get tired of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. I LOVE their Iced Tea and Lemonade flavors. Keeps me sane at times. The website is www.si03.com I would recommend getting the sampler there, then googling for sales if you decide to buy their products. There are often sales at other sites.

To those using Genepro, please do pay attention to the label. It says it's the equivalent of 30 grams of protein. Their Amazon listing even says it's 10 grams of protein, but they claim to have figured out how to make the body absorb three times more protein. A lot of people are questioning their science. If it's just one source of your protein, not a big deal...but I have known some that truly depend on it. Just a head's up!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    To those using Genepro, please do pay attention to the label. It says it's the equivalent of 30 grams of protein. Their Amazon listing even says it's 10 grams of protein, but they claim to have figured out how to make the body absorb three times more protein. A lot of people are questioning their science. If it's just one source of your protein, not a big deal...but I have known some that truly depend on it. Just a head's up!

Hmmmm... Yeah, I'd question this too. Our hospital's nut specifically mentioned that it doesn't do any good to protein overload for one meal because your body physically cannot absorb any more than 26 gm of protein in one sitting anyway.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Hmmmm... Yeah, I'd question this too. Our hospital's nut specifically mentioned that it doesn't do any good to protein overload for one meal because your body physically cannot absorb any more than 26 gm of protein in one sitting anyway.

If you google the maximum protein in one sitting that is absorbed lots of info comes up. Many say that number is more related to the amount of protein that can be used to build/repair muscle in one sitting. Others say it's complete bunk. One person broke it down into terms of "tinker toys" *made me chuckle* where proteins are broken down into their amino acids and used as needed. Any extra "tinker toys" can be used as an energy source.

Which is true, I don't know. Still researching to figure out what's "right". *smile*

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

If you google the maximum protein in one sitting that is absorbed lots of info comes up. Many say that number is more related to the amount of protein that can be used to build/repair muscle in one sitting. Others say it's complete bunk. One person broke it down into terms of "tinker toys" *made me chuckle* where proteins are broken down into their amino acids and used as needed. Any extra "tinker toys" can be used as an energy source.

Which is true, I don't know. Still researching to figure out what's "right". *smile*

For me, the main problem with the whole "one sitting" statement is that the timeframe isn't quantified. What amount of time constitutes a sitting? I've heard this "one sitting" thing numerous times but no one can back it up with data. Also, each body is going to digest and metabolize a little differently...there is no perfect formula.