New guy hoping to stick around

Options
callmetj86
callmetj86 Posts: 5 Member
Hey all,

I've decided to give this low carb keto thing a try given my recent and unfortunate plateau in calorie counting.

Here are my current stats:

Sex: Male
Height: 5"8
Weight: 258
Daily calorie goal: 2000 for weight loss

Weight loss goal: 30lbs by mid June.

Today was my first real attempt at a low carb diet. Given that I normally consume around 180g/day, I have a lot to work on and I am aware of how challenging this endeavor will be. Essentially I would like to bring my carbs down to around 40g/day.

While I feel like I did a decent job today, I went over my carb limit - currently sitting at 53g after dinner

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Hey, 180 -> 53 is a huge improvement. The hardest part is the first few days. It gets easier as time goes on. Welcome aboard.
  • callmetj86
    Options
    Thanks man. The funny thing is, I didn't even feel a significant difference. I don't want to be overly optimistic this early on but I really think I can do this.
  • emmymarie718
    emmymarie718 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! This group is great and everyone is so helpful and supportive. Good luck to you!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Welcome @callmetj86! Be sure to read the "start here" thread if you haven't already. You definitely want to take electrolytes, particularly sodium, quite seriously to avoid the worst of the low carb flu symptoms. I'm glad you're not feeling anything negative yet, but forewarned is forearmed.

I'm getting back in after a hiatus. So glad to be back.

Your goals sound reasonable. I wish you the best of health and success!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Hey, 180 -> 53 is a huge improvement. The hardest part is the first few days. It gets easier as time goes on. Welcome aboard.

Agree with @FIT-Goat. Huge improvement. Hello and welcome!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • callmetj86
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind welcome! Much appreciated
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Yeah, that^
    Today I had only. 2 grams of carbs (yes two!) And I didn't even notice. In fact, I thought mfp was broken when I saw the number because I really didn't feel restricted at all today. Move over, @FIT_Goat. There might be a new carnivore in town.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Very nice day!
    Make sure to take @mlinton_mesapark advice about the sodium. You'll lose a bunch of water this week and electrolytes will suffer. Get plenty of extra sodium to prevent low electrolytes and feeling cruddy.
    The launchpad has tons of great tips.
    Make sure to get some good healthy fats. None of that margarine and vegetable oil junk! :wink:
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard the keto train! Next stop skinnyville, population? YOU!

A few quick tips that I have learned:

- you won't be hungry...ever
    - you won't crave sweets after a couple weeks
    - you don't have to eat at specific times of the day. I only eat twice a day.
    - you can fast if you want
    - going very low carb can excelerate weight loss 20g or less
    - eat a lot of animal fat like butter and bacon, avoid boneless skinless chicken breast like it's poison. Go for the tastiest fattest cuts of - this took me a long time to really embrace

Good luck!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Very nice day!
    Make sure to take @mlinton_mesapark advice about the sodium. You'll lose a bunch of water this week and electrolytes will suffer. Get plenty of extra sodium to prevent low electrolytes and feeling cruddy.
    The launchpad has tons of great tips.
    Make sure to get some good healthy fats. None of that margarine and vegetable oil junk! :wink:

Welcome to the group! We hope you stick around to :)

I quote sunny because it's super ultra important to get enough sodium. In the beginning you will feel great but if you don't keep up the sodium the following weeks will feel like hell.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! You will love it here! Today is my one year mark on MFP! I was nervous to try Keto at first, but it is now a way of life and I love it. Hope you will too!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Howdy. I'm newer myself, but you've chosen a great community to align yourself with.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You're off to a great start. Nice!

Ditto the others about sodium. You may need 3000-5000mg of sodium per day so drink broth, salt your food, take a salt tablet or even add a teaspoon of salt to your water. If you get headaches, fatigue, nausea, muscle aches or spasms, or brain fog, you'll know you need to add more.

It sounds a bit extreme, but it does help.

Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Welcome home! You will love it here! Today is my one year mark on MFP! I was nervous to try Keto at first, but it is now a way of life and I love it. Hope you will too!

Oh wow! Congrats!!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our community. Huge success on day one, well done.

We have a wide range of low carbers here. In contrast to @daylitemag I use both prawns and boneless skinless chicken breast every week. I add tasty sauces made with coconut oil or olive oil or butter to increase the fat.

We each will suggest things that work for us in an effort to help each other. Ultimately, your body will be your best guide as to what level of carbs suits you.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi new guy @callmetj86 Welcome to the group and to low carb life!! Sounds like you've set some very reasonable goals and 53 g carbs is a great place to be right now. The group here is awesome and you'll always find plenty of people ready to help answer your questions and cheer you along your journey! Good luck reaching your goal :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You've plugged into the right place! Congratulations on a super successful first low carb day!! Heed the sodium and fat recommendations!
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hi TJ! Welcome! For what it's worth, I still love my boneless skinless chicken breasts... lol!