Finally got started at the gym..

Options
NWCountryGal
NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
..yesterday. I went into a bit of a depression last Wednesday, because that was the day I had planned to join, after getting payed. I met one of the people that do maintenance on my building (where I have an apt.) and they invited me to join their "group" at another gym. I could save 13 bucks a month if I'd have done that. So I waited, and waited, for this "group leader" to contact me after promising he would, and meet me to exchange a membership card, for my 25 bucks.

Yesterday I gave it one more chance and asked the guy that works here if he'd heard from his "friend". He said no not yet, and I said ok, I'm going down to the other gym and join now then;) Smiled and left for The Club. Things never happen by accident;) I am so happy the guy never showed. I love it at this gym I joined, and the couple that runs it are so neat. They told me I could go and use any part of the gym, even the aerobic area (when there is no class going on) to dance in. I love to dance, so that is such a bonus. I can even use their sound-system/cd player etc.

So I started my workout!! I did a bit of everything, 99% machines. The free-weights were a bit intimidating, and no one was in there, so I did a few squats on a squat rack (not the free-style) but as the owner told me ahead of time, he has a new one coming in, as that one is old and does not slide easily;)

I am sore today so I know I did some stuff;) I was way careful, I am 63, plus have some rotater cuff issues, but I was able to complete everything, nice and easy!! I do need to start logging again, because I stopped and over-ate for the last week because I let that get me down, about the "other" offer at another gym;) Oh, this gym is about 1 mile roundtrip walking, so on clear days, even light-rain days, I can walk for some warmup. I don't like treadmills or the other elliptical stuff. I get too bored with those;)

Hope you are all doing well, and hope to hear from you, Denise

Replies

• ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Good for you. I also believe EVERYTHING happens for a reason :-)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks nic;) I'm working out again today. I won't overdue, but this is as much a social thing for me, I mean someplace to go. I'm retired now, and forgot to mention there are several seniors at this club as well. Mostly guys doing the heavy lifting, but I can't wait to check out the Zumba as well:) Denise
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you found a good gym for yourself. That is so important. Get to know some of the guys, I'm sure they will be happy to spot for you etc. Zumba is a ton of fun, I know you'll love doing that. Machines are a good place to start. With free weights, the dumbbells are a good starting place. Slow and steady progress is the best method.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I'm getting frustrated here retired:( I'm not getting these alerts in my email:( I have my settings right. Anyone else having this issue?

Anyway, I'll ask this question here for now. I thought that I could give a link of my diary to non-members and they can view it? A friend is interested but not ready to join, so I want to try and encourage her. Anyone know the answer to that one?? Thanks so much, denise:)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, sorry about the rant, I just set the forums as my bookmark for mfp. That way I'll see the new posts on threads I'm part of. I think you suggested this awhile back Retired, so thank you because I remembered I could just do that;) sending encouragement to each of you, denise;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I'm getting frustrated here retired:( I'm not getting these alerts in my email:( I have my settings right. Anyone else having this issue?

Anyway, I'll ask this question here for now. I thought that I could give a link of my diary to non-members and they can view it? A friend is interested but not ready to join, so I want to try and encourage her. Anyone know the answer to that one?? Thanks so much, denise:)

No non members can not view your diary. I know the Public setting makes it sound like that would be possible, but it is Public to other MFPers only. If she did join and you are friends, she can not only view your diary but even copy meals that are in your diary.

Since it costs nothing to join, and you can setup a private profile, not sure why she wouldn't join? But then we all have a time of readiness for things. I had a friend who tried to get me to join about 18 months before I did join. I so regret not joining earlier now. But better late than never:)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, I am going to try to be consistent here, about keeping my diary, and answering anyone that replies:)

I wanted to share more about exactly what I am doing for my "weight-training" now that I am at the gym. Yesterday, I did my dancing for 30 minutes. I am able to dance to my heart's content in their aerobic area. It is empty unless there is a class, and it is at the far end of the building, away from anyone that might be "watching" LOL! The only people that would peek through the tiny window (even if they wanted to) would be ladies heading into the bathroom/locker room. I know I am very lucky to get to have it this way, because dancing is my choice of moving around, and stretching, burning a few calories. I stretch, bend do some squatting, and lunges in the "mix" as well.

I made a playlist in Windows Media Player with all my fave dance-tunes, and downloaded it to my phone. I then just plug it into the auxillary cord on their stereo system.

After that, I go into the weight-machine area and do a few of those. I've been concentrating on arms/shoulders/back, and what my plan is, is to go every, other day. I think that will be as good as it gets for now. I need to remember to take something to write on, or in this wild, age of technology, I could just speak into my phone, putting in the names of each machine I use. I do have the mfp app so I may get used to just plugging in what I'm doing as I go.

I understand from what I've read, that trying to keep track of what I burn while weight-training, is too, big a hassle, so I'm just not going to sweat that. I'm just going to keep track of the exercise I am doing so I can be sure to get enough of my nutrients for what I am doing. I pretty much listen to my body, and can gauge if I'm not getting enough of something, or, I'm getting too much. Like if I get onto eating sugary things, or salty, I feel it, and it feels ick, so try to steer clear of those things. Trudging and sometimes grudgingly, I am moving forward;) I know it will be rewarding so that's what keeps me going:)

Love to hear from you girls, and know how and what you are doing as well;) denise

• NWCountryGal
    Options

No non members can not view your diary. I know the Public setting makes it sound like that would be possible, but it is Public to other MFPers only. If she did join and you are friends, she can not only view your diary but even copy meals that are in your diary.

Since it costs nothing to join, and you can setup a private profile, not sure why she wouldn't join? But then we all have a time of readiness for things. I had a friend who tried to get me to join about 18 months before I did join. I so regret not joining earlier now. But better late than never:)

Ok, thanks so much rh, I will go change my post at the senior forum I go to on occasion. Copying the meals would be so helpful to new folks!! If they'll eat what I eat:) I'm not doing any meats right now. I don't know why I changed my mind about all that, but I feel fine, full, etc. I haven't been doing much dairy either, but I'm not shooting to be Miss Vegan of the world. I just like veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, grains, and I like soy stuff too;)

She does have an account from long ago she said, so she is a member, unless they delete profiles, which I don't think they do. Some folks find it hard to "join" things online because they aren't familiar with "online" or the www. They get a computer, and it just catches dust. My girlfriend is good with puters so it doesn't scare her. You are so right about timing though too. For example, I did NOT want to ever have a "reader" like a Nook or a Kindle. I though "how weird" to store books digitally, and not holding a book and turning pages?? Never would I give that up:) Now I do all my books on my Nook, and love it. Easy to see with no lamp etc. And if the Nook burns out, all my books are still downloadable at Barnes and Noble site.

Ok, so, thank you sweet lady! And feel free to keep me up to date on your days of foods and exercise;) denise PS this is so awesome to just keep this page bookmarked, I mean the forum page so I can see the little bell first thing;) I have my diary/profile on another bookmark because I cannot figure out how to get from the forums to my profile?? Maybe you can help me with that too!!

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, I stopped at the gym on my way to go grocery shopping, and went through and took down all the names of the machines I'm using. I was hoping I could just put them into my diary somehow without making it look like I'd used them today, but I think I'll have to add them as I use them. I'm learning to use my phone mfp app, and it syncs nicely with my laptop site for MFP.

I really wanted to work out today, but I felt I need the breaks in between. I don't want to overdo, and now I'm going into some sites to find out about "how we actually" build muscle, and how much time should we allow between workouts. I've always heard wait a day in between because when you work a muscle, if you do it right, you are "tearing" it. Sounds gross, but I'll study up and I'm sure it won't be as horrible as it sounds.

Anyone want to jump in here with input on this, you are so welcome;) Denise
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You could always do legs one day and arms the next day instead of doing a whole body workout every other day.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You could always do legs one day and arms the next day instead of doing a whole body workout every other day.

This is for sure, except that I know myself well enough, I might not go the next day. Like today, I am thinking of staying in, but tomorrow I will probably do just lower body, and my dancing, or just the weights;) Sometimes after breakfast, shower, all that stuff I want to go, so I guess I'll just play it by ear. I won't do my whole body in one day I don't think. I like the dancing, but I am using my legs so much (throwing in some squats etc.) that I don't want to do the weights on top of that. When I dance, I'll probably do upper body, then on the other days, just weights for lower body;) Thanks for your reply sweetie, I'm glad I have this forum figured out so I don't miss posts/replies now;)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Think of it as micro-tears if you are lifting heavy enough.

Mainly during the eccentric phase, the lowering you might say. You are asking the muscle to still support this heavy weight, but at the same time stretch back to extension.
    That is hard on muscle, so you get tears in it. Body response by building more. Takes a lot of time and effort though.

First though the body is trained to use all the nerves in the fiber to call on all the muscle to actually be used.

You gain strength first through nothing more than you might say better form, and actually true better form is another reason.

Ditto's to upper/lower body split if you got the time to go frequently enough. As newbie, you want 3 x weekly for same muscles groups.
    If that is 3 x full body, or 6 times total half upper/lower doesn't matter - except to which one will you get out of bed to go do.

If legs prior day leaves you feeling like not moving at all - then upper body could be a wasted day.

Oh, at the start don't be surprised as you increase weight to find a good working weight - that you are sore for more than 2-3 days easily.