Headaches on LC diet?

Options
jennkaufer89
jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the low(er) carb diet and wanted some insight into something I've been experiencing to see if it's simply coincidental or not.

I started decreasing the amount of carbs I was eating about 2 weeks ago. As of right now 20% of my 1350 calorie diet is coming from carbs (so about 68 to 80 grams depending on my activity level). In a lot of ways I've been feeling great - my mood has stabilized, my skin is clearing up, and I just generally feel better.

However, the one thing I've been experiencing more is headaches. I've been trying to stay adequately hydrated, and am using a separate water intake management app to keep me on track, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Are headaches common for lower carbers who start out? This is the one thing I've changed in my diet approach and there seems to be an association but I don't want to jump the gun and make an assumption.

Any advice is helpful! Thanks!!

Replies

• blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What I do is drink broth a few times a day - a boullion cube in a cup of hot water, stir, and drink.
  • jennkaufer89
    Options
    What I do is drink broth a few times a day - a boullion cube in a cup of hot water, stir, and drink.

So the first thing I noticed was the fact that your icon is Petyr Baelish - HOW CAN I TRUST YOUR ADVICE!? WHAT ARE YOU PLOTTING?!

#totallykidding
  • DoctorShock
    DoctorShock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Headaches are common when starting a low-carb diet, mostly due to electrolyte losses (sodium, potassium, etc.) that occur when you lose water weight. You can avoid that issue by supplementing your diet - i.e. drink broth, add extra salt to your food, use "No-Salt" as a potassium supplement, etc.
  • jennkaufer89
    Options
    Headaches are common when starting a low-carb diet, mostly due to electrolyte losses (sodium, potassium, etc.) that occur when you lose water weight. You can avoid that issue by supplementing your diet - i.e. drink broth, add extra salt to your food, use "No-Salt" as a potassium supplement, etc.

So I hear you on that, and will definitely log the advice for later implementation. My concern is that adding sodium isn't necessarily heart healthy...is there another way to get electrolytes back? I feel like this question is very pedestrian, but I appreciate your help!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

So I hear you on that, and will definitely log the advice for later implementation. My concern is that adding sodium isn't necessarily heart healthy...is there another way to get electrolytes back? I feel like this question is very pedestrian, but I appreciate your help!

when on a low carb diet your body will be dumping sodium through urine as your body releases the water bound with your glycogen stores. low sodium for heart health is a false narrative anyway, even more so if you are low carb. without sodium your body will simply die so if you do not supplement it with more sodium you will continue to experience headaches, fatigues, dizziness, etc.

read through the Launchpad for more info on this.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The sodium need is real, and causes many different symptoms, including headaches. You need to know that the recommendations for sodium doesn't mean you're getting extra! When we drop carbs our bodies produce ketones (from burning fat, yay!) And these ketones are excreted through the urine. When they go they take salt with them. So you're only replacing what you're losing every time you pee.
    Some will think it's extra, when it's not!

I was on blood pressure medicine when I began this woe. My feet would swell so bad I couldn't wear shoes sometimes. I always blamed salt, and I was wrong! If I don't get 4000mg of sodium each day I will have terrible leg cramps...plus, my ankles will swell (not as bad as before, but yes!)! Go figure! Everything is opposite of what we have been told to do forever! It's a whole new way of thinking about fueling your body! Oh, and I've been off blood pressure meds since last August after being LCHF for 5 months!

I hope you feel better!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You are actively creating a severe sodium, magnesium and potassium deficiency by not REPLACING your lost sodium.
    The problems with sodium only apply to high carb diets. Same as fat. Which I also hope you're eating. You don't want to do low carb, low salt, low fat, lower calorie. You'll not feel well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If you haven't already, I recommend checking out the links in this post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10347832/good-news-everyone-it-s-ok-to-eat-salt

While you're at it, check this out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257118/sodium-blood-pressure-and-the-russian-nephrologist/p1

Also, you can't replenish electrolytes without consuming sodium, because sodium is an electrolyte.