Is this a known benefit to LCHF or just LC even?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I have T2 diabetes. I have had foot neuropathy for about 6 years. Not too bad. Not that much pain most nights. But there have been some bad nights - about 10 - 12 a year I would say.

I really have not had any bothersome pain in the last month or so.

So, is this a known benefit?

BTW, as an aside, if you do have it, this can help a bit - at least for a few hours. But it smells like you are in an old church..... my wife sleeps in the spare room if I use this.

http://www.amazon.com/FRANKINCENSE-MYRRH-NEUROPATHY-2-OZ/dp/B003B2RJLM/ref=sr_1_16_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1456932765&sr=8-16&keywords=frankensence+essential+oil

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The nerve pain is from high concentrations of glucose, right? So, yeah, anything that reduces blood levels of glucose should help.
  • motown13
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The nerve pain is from high concentrations of glucose, right? So, yeah, anything that reduces blood levels of glucose should help.

Is it? I had no idea. I will take your word for it, as you know far more than I do... heck you even understand those crazy graphs you post! :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Low Carb has greatly slowed my rate of dying body parts I feel.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My A1C never hit diabetes levels, but I do suffer from neuropathy. As I've lost weight and my blood sugar has come down, I get some sensation at night that my doctor said is likely from the nerves healing. Some nights I wear socks to help with that.

We'll see how much of the numbness goes away over time.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Numbness and pain can also be inflammation. If LC is helping you reduce inflammation, then some pain and numbness will reduce too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Isn't there something about cholesterol and its role in the myelin sheath? Isn't the myelin sheath damaged when nerve pain becomes present?
    I may be totally mixed up. But this association came to mind...
    I thought I heard this at one point when I reading about cholesterol and why it's actually quite important if it's able to be used by the body the it's supposed to be.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Myelin sheath is sort of like electrical wire insulation. Helps nerve fibers transmit signals at high speed. Most important in the brain. Don't know of any association with pain, but could be.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It is associated with pain and a lot of other symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Is definitely the low carb!! So happy for improvements!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I read so much stuff. I wish I could remember where! Lol
    I knew I had heard of some connection to nerve pain, the damaged myelin and cholesterol playing an important role in repair.
    Glad to know my memory is not failing me. :smile:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    It is associated with pain and a lot of other symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis.

Yep, damage to the myelin sheath is the problem in MS; causes all the attacks/symptoms, the "many scars" that multiple sclerosis is named after.
    Cholesterol FTW. :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I also have neuropathy in my feet. The higher your carb and sugar intake per meal, the more likely it will be for your neuropathy to flare up. I try to keep my carbs to 10-12 / meal and my sugars to 8-9 / meal. I used to use this stuff which is the only product I ever found which worked wonderfully:

https://www.hellolife.net/neuroveen/

You can take it internally (orally) or apply it directly to the skin (topically). It has almost no smell. If taken by mouth, for me only tended to have a somewhat dampening effect on the neuropathy. If applied directly to the skin, I always found it stopped the pain / numbness immediately and the relief lasted for hours. I have recommended this to several people with the same issue and have also discovered that results & relief varies from person to person depending upon how bad their neuropathy is. Although this product is registered with the FDS, it is not a drug....it's 100% plant based so there's that plus too for what it's worth.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Btw, I forgot to mention that I rarely if ever have a flare-up of my neuropathy any more now since I control my sugar/carb intake 100% by following Keto. I do keep one spare bottle of this stuff handy but that is only for those rare times when I eat out and don't have much choice or day in where we end up eating. So what happens is I think I've made a wise keto-friendly choice only to get home and discover it wasn't such a wise choice! lol
  • motown13
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    My A1C never hit diabetes levels, but I do suffer from neuropathy. As I've lost weight and my blood sugar has come down, I get some sensation at night that my doctor said is likely from the nerves healing. Some nights I wear socks to help with that.

We'll see how much of the numbness goes away over time.

Funny.... if I take my socks off, I get relief.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I came across this today. I just read the blog post, I didn't listen to the podcast. Seems like you might be interested in this doctors study research.
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/dr-charles-mobbs-diabetic-kidney-damage-can-actually-be-reversed-with-a-high-fat-low-carb-ketogenic-diet/10660