Favorite Fats?

Options
BRobertson23
BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
I always read a lot of posts about y'all eating a higher % of fat, which the math all makes sense, but I'm trying to translate that to what types of fat to consume.

My favorite fat is avocado....I have literally made a big bowl of guacamole and eaten it with pork rinds and celery sticks til the bowl is pretty much empty. I eat bacon almost daily, but what other types of fats do you tend to favor? Perhaps share what a typical day looks like for you. I would love to see what you're eating!

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    In addition to the ones you mentioned, I bought a jar of goose fat for cooking recently, it gives your food a nice luscious taste along with an incredible crisp on the outside as it holds up well to high temperatures. After finishing that, I bought a bottle of single estate olive oil from a November 2015 harvest. It's absolutely finger-licking delicious! Lastly, my new fav is coconut cream (not milk) it's great for lattes and for making pudding with unsweetened cocoa powder.

And you're welcome to add me as a friend so you can see my diary.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee, cook things (eggs, meat, veggies) in butter or coconut oil, put butter on top of my meat. The hwc is daily, and the others come when needed (I don't do them all everyday). My percentage of fat is set at 75%, which comes to betweenn 100-120 gm a day.

Been doing this woe for almost a year and lab work is great, and I'm healthier than ever!

Good luck! :smiley:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream, sour cream, creme fraiche, butter, ghee, nuts and seeds of all types (and/or most oils derives from them...avocado oil, almond oil, etc.), olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut butter, red palm oil (PLEASE NOTE: this is NOT the same thing as "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil"), full fat salad dressings, full fat cheeses, full fat mayonnaise, the fattiest cuts of meat, chicken with the skin on, fish with the skin on, etc. It's really just a matter of which fats taste best to you.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Oh and I've got an open diary so feel free to poke around in it if want to see what I'm eating!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Also forgot to mention bacon fat, lard & tallow....
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream every day, 90% chocolate, habanero BBQ almonds, goat cheese, marble cheese, sharp cheddar. Ribeye steaks and bacon wrapped chicken. I used to eat an avocado every day until I couldn't stomach eating another, but I could do guac!

I struggle getting enough protein. Sometimes I just don't want to cook at the end of the day :(
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    HWC, avocado, cheese, full-fat coconut milk.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Building my grocery list off of this thread!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream...now that is my ultimate favorite and Kerrygold Butter!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Butter, avocado (both the fruit and the oil), and the fatty gristle off a nice steak.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Heavy whipping cream, sour cream, creme fraiche, butter, ghee, nuts and seeds of all types (and/or most oils derives from them...avocado oil, almond oil, etc.), olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut butter, red palm oil (PLEASE NOTE: this is NOT the same thing as "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil"), full fat salad dressings, full fat cheeses, full fat mayonnaise, the fattiest cuts of meat, chicken with the skin on, fish with the skin on, etc. It's really just a matter of which fats taste best to you.

Mmmmm Yes! And creme fraiche! I mix 2 tbsps of creme fraiche with a tbsp of salsa to make a salad dressing. It's also nice stirred into scrambled eggs or you can even just add a dollop on top.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Got some goat cheese today. Made lettuce wrap with it ,ham and Claussen dill pickles. Yumm! I like it better than cream cheese.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    These are all great!! Thank you! Y'all are making me hungry!!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Today:

Breakfast: ham and eggs fried in butter with aged cheddar cheese

Supper: Sirloin steak topped with butter

Snacks didn't have much fat: berries, one square 85% dark chocolate; shrimp with cocktail sauce; small amount of peanuts

As is often the case, I'm over on protein, short on fat, and close on carbs

I often make scrambled eggs with HWC incorporated. Ccok them in bacon grease or butter. Sometimes I top with a tbsp of peanut butter. If I eat green beans (the only veg I eat which I have about three times per week) I top them with butter.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am on the search for duck or goose fat. I keep hearing how good it is, but I never see it in the stores. I do know I love the fat when I roast a duck. So, I totally believe it rocks your world.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat , I saw it at Whole Foods if there is one in your area. Also a European ethnic deli might carry it.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. Like an unholy love affair. And avocado. I also have some 6-8% milk fat goats milk party of the year that i Love.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    When I roast a duck, I save the fat for cooking. It is absolutely delicious ! Next time, i will roast two at a time I think.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Yes all of these, except I haven't tried the palm oil.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    90% Lindt Dark Chocolate (ratio is 3:1 fats to carb), raw Macadamia nuts, and avocado. Infused estate olive oils as another poster mentioned. I have 3 different bottles in my cupboard, and every time I pour it, I need to slurp a bit of a taste. Citrus & Habanero, Roasted Garlic, Rosemary. And a bottle of Roasted Walnut oil.