Help pms ! And tmi

Options
Hi, I've been on low carb for 2 months eating under 50g now under 20 to try and get into ketosis,
My periods have completely stopped and I don't remember the last time I had solid stools, has anyone had experience with this and have any idea wether I'm in trouble health wise?

Replies

• StarBelly1000
    StarBelly1000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read about low carb and periods is that if they stop you are most likely throwing your hormones out of whack. It could, however, be unrelated and might be worth a trip to your doctor.
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    billyaminu wrote: »
    Everything I have read about low carb and periods is that if they stop you are most likely throwing your hormones out of whack. It could, however, be unrelated and might be worth a trip to your doctor.

Ok, thank you think I'm going to have to go to doctors
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period since Dec... not sure if its because I am 45 or what ...I feel great so I am not too worried at this time ..best of luck to you :)
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    I haven't had a period since Dec... not sure if its because I am 45 or what ...I feel great so I am not too worried at this time ..best of luck to you :)

Thank you! I'm not to upset about the lack of period haha! But I'm worried about the long term problems this could cause for me as I'm only 23 and I make really cute babies (one baby) so would be a shame if I couldn't make a few more lol
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    While you're waiting to see a Dr this might be a question for Reddit /r/xxketo. It's a womens forum who are following Keto and they answer a lot of these types of questions.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    While you're waiting to see a Dr this might be a question for Reddit /r/xxketo. It's a womens forum who are following Keto and they answer a lot of these types of questions.

Thank you xx
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to have many hormonal changes while your body is adapting to a new way of eating. Providing healthy fats is essential for good hormone production and it could be your body is working on some fine tuning and healing and leveling out and such adjustments with your recent changes.
    You also tend to "go" less often when you're not eating a lot of fillers (carbs). There's also done adjustments going on with your gut microbiology too.
    Think about it this way. If you suddenly changed your dogs food because you found a better, higher quality food for him, you'd probably expect some potty issues. Most people know to introduce new food by mixing it with the old food, gradually increasing. But, we don't do it that way of course, so we have to go through the adjustment.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Magnessium citrate helps regularity for me. Enough fat n not too much cheese also helps too. My periods also did a few crazy things (little flow thru to heaviest day rate in 20 plus years!) and have settled. If in doubt, see a doctor. Electrolytes are also our friends.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You say you're under 20 carbs... are they all coming from real food? Some artificial sweetners will cause... not solid stools.... Some can tollerate it others are sensitive. If I eat ANY I'm good for about 4 hours... then have about 12 hours of OMG where's the toilet!! So... don't know if THAT is an issue.

But yeah it can also take a while for the TOM thing to sort itself out. Just be prepared for some less than encouraging advice from your doctor about your new WOE, just in case.

Also, you probably know that stress, even good stress can cause TOM to hault for a while right? I was a week late... out of the blue last month (and I'm usually like clock work since on low carb) still don't know why. But whoa nelly that week was.... an adventure!!

If you discover the cause be sure to let us know. Lots of us I'm sure are interested. The more we know.... :) Good luck!
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @pippacorcoran when periods stop it is usually hormone imbalance, you should definitely see a doctor. The odd thing is weight loss usually improves this. There's this nutritionist on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/healthfulpursuit who had amenorrhea and her period finally returned after she started eating LCHF.
    Like someone said, depending on your doctor, prepare to hear them discourage you from this woe
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Haha dr said its my diet and I should stop! Very helpful! So I stopped for a week and had my TOM and fixed the toilet issue! Not stopping the diet I have just adjusted it to fit me better and will see how it goes, I am on contraceptive pill so will eat more carbs on my week off! lwu57som32p7.png