How did everyone manage when 6 month meds end?

Options
2»

Replies

• martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    From the start I had horrendous heartburn. My doctor said to use Pepcid. So I did that, and when I finished the bottle I moved to Tums. Five months post-op and I take the occasional tums. Otherwise, the heartburn has backed off 95%. I'm lucky, I guess. And I am on Ursodiol. I was told 6 months. So I'm down to my last month of it. (Yay! One less pill!)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update for those interested: I'm still doing the same as the last update. Haven't had the ability to stretch it past four day doses, but am determined this will get me off of the medicine. Plugging along!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Ursidol was the last weight loss medicine I stopped taking. They refilled my prescription until I felt I was a normal person again. 2.5 years out, I eat normally now, no protein shakes or special meds.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is great information. Thanks for posting!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Just an update :smile:
    Switched medicine to Prilosec, instead of Protonix, last week. It seemed I wasn't making much progress with weaning (imo). Have now been five days since last dose of med! So, finally making some headway! Did use some acv for a bit of heartburn yesterday, but was the first time needing it in over a week! Still taking the gastric enzymes.

One day at a time! :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Wow! What a process this has been! I am finally done with the Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI)!! I do still have a bit of tummy pain that's resolved with Pepcid (which is an acid blocker, not a PPI) now. I'm sticking with the gastric enzymes since I believe they are helping me greatly! :smiley: and Apple cider vinegar is my friend! I'm only needing it maybe once a week for heartburn, but it works well!

Just to note that I have taken these PPI medications for 24 years! I would hope that it would be an easier process if you haven't been taking them very long!

Another thing is they latest side effect that they are seeing from PPIs is dementia! I've had trouble with memory for a long time, and I wonder if this could be the cause? I'm glad to be rid of them!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Wow! What a process this has been! I am finally done with the Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI)!! I do still have a bit of tummy pain that's resolved with Pepcid (which is an acid blocker, not a PPI) now. I'm sticking with the gastric enzymes since I believe they are helping me greatly! :smiley: and Apple cider vinegar is my friend! I'm only needing it maybe once a week for heartburn, but it works well!

Just to note that I have taken these PPI medications for 24 years! I would hope that it would be an easier process if you haven't been taking them very long!

Another thing is they latest side effect that they are seeing from PPIs is dementia! I've had trouble with memory for a long time, and I wonder if this could be the cause? I'm glad to be rid of them!

WAHOO!!! Good for you, I am on two and half years and scared to death to try and wean, the pain is crazy! But I am down to one a day now...going to start going to every other day next week when I switch to an eight week WFH situation - wish me luck! I am hoping it goes quicker for me, can you share the digestive enzyme you used?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yes, good luck @joysie1970! (Love the new profile picture btw!! Looking great!!) Patience is very important with this! I've been using digestive enzymes I got from Amazon (is there anywhere else to shop for everything anymore, lol!?), they are the Now brand, Super Enzymes. I'm sticking with them because they seem to be making the difference!

Now, onward to getting off the Pepcid too! I'm at every two to three days dosing with it, so far!

I swear this stuff has been harder to get off of than the daily opiate pain medicine I used to take! I highly recommend getting off of them though! The side effects they are now seeing are detrimental to health!!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Still taking Omiprizone every other day but I plan on reducing to twice a week next week. I'm feeling ok but I have awful gas by 5pm and burp a lot! Any natural remedies for this? GasEx is another pill, but I'm trying to avoid taking more pills.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Use a couple of tbsp of Apple cider vinegar diluted in water to help with "heartburn". I used it almost daily at first, but now about once a week. Good luck!