Checking I will be doing this right

Options
janettemillard868
janettemillard868 Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
History:

Gallbladder removed 2013
48 Years old - peri menopausal - I have for the last 3 months come off all BC to let my hormones sort themselves out.
Always battled weight - always used low fat diets tried them all!

July 2015 SW when I joined MFP was around 190lb down from over 200 at Xmas 2014 (from my pictures I was huge).
July 2015 also Started Gym 4x week with personal trainer and also started Keto journey.

Through Keto (switching to eating more fat and sub 20 carbs a day) I have found out I am unfortunately very carb sensitive and with the use a glucose meter I have been able to manage my insulin sensitivity (probably from all the diets I have tried)

End of October 2015 I had a weight of about 158 - this is where I had stalled for nearly 3 months.

Introduced SL 5x5 a month ago and weight started to move again slowly however I want to be lean and build muscle - not really any use for the scale weight. I still carry a lot of fat (maybe 30%) I was huge to start.

CW-154.1lb - last week as I weigh weekly.
BMR 1585
TDEE 2355

I have a Very active job and I am on my feet walking briskly on average 17,000 - 20,000 steps a day.

Now I have been on 1255 - 1450 cal a day logging grams rigorously all this time.

I now understand that I really need to fuel my body and muscles as I believe my metabolism has probably slowed to a crawl from the cal restriction. It's taken me 8 months to get to the point where for the first time in my life I have been almost under 11 stone! But I want to go further - I want strength and muscles lol but I still have a lot of fat still.

Macro's wise Carbs are out, I can go up to about 50 Net but any more and I have major problems and issues.

Through this journey I have found out a lot of what my body can and can't deal with. So I guess you could say I am more very low carb than keto. With certain foods which are a definite no no thrown in:)

I have started to increase my protein intake this last month

I was going to up my cals by 100 a day slowly or should I aim for this to be a weekly increase?

One thing I do know is everyone is different so I want to do this slow and right, so I can judge when my body is telling me 'this is your maintenance' not the calculators.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks All!

Sorry for the long post, with so much invested in this I don't want to take a wrong turn.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Weekly increase would be better, 700 a week by doing it daily would just add fat likely.

The problem with coming up from being low - it'll be hard to tell from the body when you have reached potential TDEE.

Because if not losing weight eating at level you are at right now - this is your literal TDEE right now.
    Suppressed TDEE.

And your body can run on a suppressed TDEE all the way up to potential.

So each increase along the way you could not lose or gain any weight - but it doesn't mean it's potential TDEE, and each step up will likely feel better or just as good, so that's not a good measure either. And workouts will likely get better too.
    But until you can compare before and after, you'd likely never know on way up.

Only way to really test is by going higher then estimated potential when you have been at what you think is potential TDEE. Then prove it out.
  • janettemillard868
    Options
    Thanks for that, in it for the long haul so I'll get started straight away week by week
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Word of advice to take your measurements and pictures if you haven't already so that way you have something else to refer to while you increase your calories so that you don't focus solely on your weight. Good luck and keep us updated on this thread of your journey of increasing!
  • janettemillard868
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well here's a little update - I had somehow managed to misalign and lock my pelvis and as a result also had really painful bout of sciatica down my right side 3 weeks ago just after my last post.

Of course this has completely stopped any and all Work and Exercise while I have been seeing a chiro and physio.

I have however through a major fear of piling on weight, tracked my intake and macro's rigerously re adjusting too to try and give my body what it needs to repair damage and get back to lifting again asap.

Through this journey it would seem I have found my TDEE (or should say BMR one in the same as I'm not doing anything work or exercise) 1530 - as my weight has been completely stable past 2 weeks - only bloating which I believe is from the injury has begun to reduce but my weight has remained near stable only losing 0.1 to 0.2lb a week and as I do more stretches and short slow treadmill walks to try and rehabilitate myself I think I finally have a number to work from.

I am thinking along the lines of sticking with 1530 throughout my recovery as this is likely to be a few more weeks - and as my mobility improves I just work on more stretching and longer walking before going back to lifting again.

I will probably increase my protein as things progress but at a very slow rate like my activity - one thing I am so so pleased about is that all my work to get out of being morbid obese has not gone down the toilet yet - I was so scared of the weight piling back on when this happened!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear - if you woke up (which going to chiro and eating you obviously have) - your BMR is NOT your TDEE.

2 weeks is too short to tell.

As a woman your BMR and TDEE literally change through the month, therefore you need at minimum 4 weeks to discern anything.

Also, read all the stories of people that have increased their calories and no weight change.
    Was that there true potential TDEE?

No - proved out by the fact they increased again and still no change.
    Therefore prior level was still suppressed TDEE.

You cannot prove out potential TDEE by increased calories from a low start.

Also - even if you did find true TDEE - it would be for that level of activity during that time period.
    Your average TDEE will literally change, and even more so during seasonal changes or life changes as you've experienced. It sounds like you appreciate that fact.

Sorry to hear about injury, never fun, especially since it reduces the eating level we may have gotten used to and enjoy. Not many exercises that don't rely on the hip girdle in some sense.
    Did you have some tight muscles pulling the hips out?
    Chiro can pop back where it should be all they like - but if tight muscles keep pulling it out, then wasted effort.