Recalibration time -- what is the "low" in "low carb"?

Options

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely terrible for those people. They didn't get that way on purpose, and if they listen to the supposed 'authorities' they will only get bigger and less healthy. It's like our society is trying to make Wall-E movie a documentary.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I feel absolutely terrible for those people. They didn't get that way on purpose, and if they listen to the supposed 'authorities' they will only get bigger and less healthy. It's like our society is trying to make Wall-E movie a documentary.

This is so true. I am positive that if I hadn't been inspired by my niece, dad and also my daughter's health battles to get control of my sugar addiction, that I never would've taken it seriously enough and at the rate I was going, I would bet money that I was developing insulin resistance because of the amounts of sugar I would take in over a very short time frame. I had put on 5 pounds in a month right before I made the changes.
    I felt so out of control with the cravings. If I hadn't already stumbled onto information about Keto from my research into DKA, I would've had absolutely no idea that there is another way to eat besides maybe vegetarian. And there's no way that would've helped me.
    If I hadn't recognized that my cravings weren't normal, I would have just kept trying to "moderate", which was becoming increasingly impossible. I know that I would've become insulin resistant and I know what happens once that's established. The gain happens so fast.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    New Airbus patent filing due to obesity epidemic.

Ccdc1mkVAAATGLo.jpg

for real? lol
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am sure that some of us on this Forum have enjoyed the pleasure of having to ask for a seat belt extender on a plane. I've had to do that once or twice and let me tell you THAT is a very low point in one's life. There have been other embarrassing moments along my journey, but that is right up there with the worst. On one particularly memorable occasion I was mortified when I was told that I could not have an extender because I was seated in an emergency exit seat and it was against airline regulations. I can still taste the panic that welled inside of me as I desperately tried to pull the regular belt across my middle and get it buckled. Thankfully, I was ultimately able to get myself belted in, but that was the most uncomfortable plane ride I've ever taken. After that episode I completely avoided flying for several years, opting instead to drive long distances (which nearly kills my back). On a happy note, having now lost more than 50 LBS I'm no longer worried about flying and will be taking my family to Disney World next week. Yippee!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I am sure that some of us on this Forum have enjoyed the pleasure of having to ask for a seat belt extender on a plane. I've had to do that once or twice and let me tell you THAT is a very low point in one's life. There have been other embarrassing moments along my journey, but that is right up there with the worst. On one particularly memorable occasion I was mortified when I was told that I could not have an extender because I was seated in an emergency exit seat and it was against airline regulations. I can still taste the panic that welled inside of me as I desperately tried to pull the regular belt across my middle and get it buckled. Thankfully, I was ultimately able to get myself belted in, but that was the most uncomfortable plane ride I've ever taken. After that episode I completely avoided flying for several years, opting instead to drive long distances (which nearly kills my back). On a happy note, having now lost more than 50 LBS I'm no longer worried about flying and will be taking my family to Disney World next week. Yippee!

:heart:
  • blacktie347
    Options

Congratulations!!! I've also lost 50 pounds, approximately, and I, like you, am so happy to have shed that weight. I've gone to Nordstroms and had the pleasure of being told that "No suit we have would fit you, Sir." And I felt similar panic, needing a suit, and fortunately they had larger ones at Men's Wearhouse.

I even breathe easier :)

Anyone else in the 50+ pound weight loss club?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost 50+ myself, but that amounts to the majority of what I had to lose, and I am a short person. So, I could usually find something that fit, it just looked horrible and needed altering.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

The design is actually really cool. That article, though? Holy cow is it condescending.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Yep, lost 50+ myself, but that amounts to the majority of what I had to lose, and I am a short person. So, I could usually find something that fit, it just looked horrible and needed altering.

Congratulations!!! I am in the same boat, as I went from obese to normal weight, but now I'm on the upper end of the "normal" bmi, and I'd rather get closer to the lower end of it. So I'm still trying to lose, but sometimes I get hungry and go off of my diet at random times - today for instance I got a bit hungry, so I ate earlier than planned and ate an extra 300 calories of high-protein chocolate-topped yogurt.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Congratulations!!! I've also lost 50 pounds, approximately, and I, like you, am so happy to have shed that weight. I've gone to Nordstroms and had the pleasure of being told that "No suit we have would fit you, Sir." And I felt similar panic, needing a suit, and fortunately they had larger ones at Men's Wearhouse.

I even breathe easier :)

Anyone else in the 50+ pound weight loss club?

I lost 100lb.
    I do remember almost not being able to fit on an amusement park ride with the kids. Panic indeed. It fit, but it hurt.
    Barely fit the belt in the truck.
    No clothes fit right. Tall and fat didn't mesh well.

Never going back there. Never ever.

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have lost about 75 lbs in 7 years from a 5'2" body. Still 25 lbs short of goal weight. I remember how awfully tight the seat belts were at my heaviest.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Maintained ~78lb loss over three years. And I agree baconslave ...never ever again.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Never going back there. Never ever.

me either :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    . Some sugar alcohols, despite erroneous claims to the contrary, do indeed cause a blood sugar response. Especially ones like maltitol. If I recall correctly it does have a number on the glycemic index which is in the 30-40s. It's best, unless it's something GI zero like erythritol, to count at least half of the sugar alcohols in your carb total. And they haven't even measured the affect the sugar alcohols have on insulin. The fiber, most people can just subtract IMO, unless you know you are extremely carbohydrate sensitive. In reality, we don't know for 100% sure everything that goes on for every food inside those intestines and veins. YMMV applies for just about everything. Which makes sense as we each have a unique DNA signature.

Here's a couple interesting links to look over:
    http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugaralcohols.htm

Great info - thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like this visual, but the meat or cheese should be bigger on the left. As it is, the "liberal group" eats more calories by far:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb
    I guess I'm liberal. ha.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    They need an "Extreme" plate represented too! Lol! Remove the veggies all together, and that would be me! I did share the page on FB! Wonderful information there too @Sabine_Stroehm!

I agree with some above comments!! I've dropped right at 50 pounds since beginning this woe almost a year ago! The humiliation of having to ask for a seat belt extender on an airplane is horrible! I'm never going back there again either! I am flying next week, and actually looking forward to it!! :smiley:
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I tend to stay in the 70-100 range and often feel like an outlier :). Maybe I. am losing more slowly, but it is a compromise I can live with.

Same here - this is really reassuring!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    300g - I am gaining weight because I eat way more carbs, especially in the form of drinks/basically a binge day

150g- 200g - My normal day-to-day

80g - I am consciously making good, balanced choices. I have a moderate intake of bread and pasta and have an occasional smoothie. I can still lose weight at this amount.

20g-50g - Where I am currently and what I need to jumpstart my weightloss. I restrict myself to 50g but I typically stay at about 20g.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    300g - I am gaining weight because I eat way more carbs, especially in the form of drinks/basically a binge day

150g- 200g - My normal eating habits

80g - I am consciously making good, balanced choices. I have a moderate intake of bread and pasta and have an occasional smoothie. I can still lose weight at this amount.

20g-50g - Where I am currently and what I need to jumpstart my weightloss. I restrict myself to 50g but I typically stay at about 20g.