Options
teets19771
teets19771 Posts: 64 Member
Has keto helped anyone here with binge eating disorder

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was never formally diagnosed with BED, but if I started with one of something, It was often 3-4 packages later before I could stop. Using high fats, lots of sodium, and intermittent fasting, I've gotten the urges down to manageable. Some of binging was related to insulin resistance - never feeling full or satiated - and always having more insulin driving more hunger, etc. Both have been helped, and really working on my stress reactions has helped a lot. Boredom binging gets me far more easily than stress eating these days...

But the dietary plan helps with the food side, but I have to spend a good deal of time IN MY HEAD to actually make any progress there...
  • teets19771
    Options
    Why do you think more sodium has helped?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Because most of my cravings are sweet related. When I treat the sweet cravings with fats and salt first, it 95% or more satiates the sweet craving even though I didn't eat anything sweet. I think EATALLTHESWEETS is my kneejerk reaction from eating so much sugar for so many years that it's still my default reaction (and my biggest downfall if I start letting it back in at all), even when that may not be what I really want/need.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I, too, have not been formally diagnosed with BED, but I am certain that I have it. I've been on Keto for almost 2 weeks now and do feel like many of my cravings are lessened. Any conventional therapist for this type of eating disorder will tell you that when you have cravings to do something else that you enjoy rather than giving into the craving. Sometimes people tell you to do things like take a walk or some other activity. For me, all my life, none of those things would help. I would just keep obsessing about food I wanted to eat. It's a self-medicating behavior.

The reason I finally got serious and started with Keto A couple of weeks ago is because I thought I had a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and, I am fine, but it was a bit of a wake up and a scare. So now I'm working on fixing this.
  • teets19771
    Options
    That's how I am nothing works to get my mind off of it so what do u do
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No trigger foods in the house. Trying to resist snacking, but I will grab a few pork rinds when I feel munchy. Or a piece of cheese. But mostly, just saying NO no matter how much j want to say yes, lol
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I can't control sweets. I'll eat 3 days worth of calories in one shot.....primarily chocolate. On keto I don't have that problem. I still eat a little very very dark chocolate as well as dark chocolate dusted almonds and only eat a small amount and feel satisfied. No crazy sugar binges. But I also don't eat any artificial sweeteners. So the 85%dark chocolate is about it as far as anything sweet.
  • teets19771
    Options
    Yes unfortunately I like my sweetener in my coffee
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Apparently a potassium deficiency leads to sugar cravings ... So upping salt/potassium intake should help (agreeing with KnitOrMiss).
  • teets19771
    Options
    I will try that. I dont salt anything, not that I dont like it, just never have
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also, if sweets are your thing, work to sweeten only to tolerance, not to taste. Sweeten the least that you can tolerate drinking or eating something, not to where you instantly want another serving. It's quite the adjustment, but just start small with stepping back - maybe half a packet or 5 less drops of sweetener on Monday, then maintain that level all week, then step back the next Monday/serving, whatever. My bestie is stepping back from her beloved powdered creamer to half and half, and enjoying it quite a bit, the decadence of it and all... She also went from 8 splenda to 1 splenda and 1 sweet leaf brand stevia over about a month...

I used to be 5 heaping TBSP in my 12 oz of tea to maybe one packet of sweetener now. And to all manner of junky chocolate to where 70-72% tastes almost sickeningly sweet! So it can be done...just slowly and steadily. We're fighting to win back our lives here - not win some race!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! Before going keto a year ago I was never satisfied with food, always hungry (hangry!) and thinking about what I can eat next!! Binging was my life! The habit of eating was hard to overcome!! I used a mantra, and told myself, "I'm making the choice to do this!", over and over! Seems simple, but it helped! It still does! :smiley:

I have been able to develop a control over food that I had always heard of, but didn't believe it was attainable for me! I'm much better satisfied with the food I eat now! Plus, I've learned to make food choices based on perceived energy needs (using food for fuel)!
  • Seerneas
    Seerneas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My trigger has been sweets as well- I started LCHF the day after Halloween 2015, after eating half the leftover candy, and feeling like death warmed over- while I am only down 16 pounds, I made it through all the holidays and have not have a single cookie or any sugar- Coffee sweetened with lots of splenda packets was my go to drink, but I broke that habit by starting each cup black and forcing myself to take one or two sips, really tasting it, then adding the sweetener... It works, over time to get off the Splenda- now every morning starts with BPC and no splenda at all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Seerneas wrote: »
    My trigger has been sweets as well- I started LCHF the day after Halloween 2015, after eating half the leftover candy, and feeling like death warmed over- while I am only down 16 pounds, I made it through all the holidays and have not have a single cookie or any sugar- Coffee sweetened with lots of splenda packets was my go to drink, but I broke that habit by starting each cup black and forcing myself to take one or two sips, really tasting it, then adding the sweetener... It works, over time to get off the Splenda- now every morning starts with BPC and no splenda at all.

That's impressive, @Seerneas ! I still have to add some stevia to my hot tea, but it's just enough to take the edge off the tannins, which I don't tolerate well...
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with BED. I often felt ashamed when I always ate more ( and faster) than my husband. I binge ate everything I loved. Pasta, cake, chocolate... It was ridiculous. Keto keeps my cravings in check also but my will power is still crap. My husband brings home pastry and junk once in a while and I can't just say no :( even if I don't have a craving if it's there I eat it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Oh, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with BED. I often felt ashamed when I always ate more ( and faster) than my husband. I binge ate everything I loved. Pasta, cake, chocolate... It was ridiculous. Keto keeps my cravings in check also but my will power is still crap. My husband brings home pastry and junk once in a while and I can't just say no :( even if I don't have a craving if it's there I eat it.

@Astharteea I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but mentally designating those foods as NOT MINE or as my guy's made it easier after a point to not eat them. I can even sit next to my guy now with him chowing down on my former favorites without it being a temptation, or at least not much of one. The other day, he got some cronuts - and I was hoping he'd offer me a bite. A single bite was all I wanted, but he did not, and in the end, after the slightest mini-pout, I realized he'd inadvertently saved me from myself. It doesn't take much actual consumption of those items to push me right back over the edge.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mentally designating as not mine. I'm going to try my hardest to mentally designate in the future. If that somehow works...I'm going to make it! Thank you !!!
  • ketozing
    ketozing Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what a great thread - and kudo's to all us bingers fessing up.
    I've always been a savory over sweetie kinda gal, but after a knee injury and going from super active to sedentary fell into some pretty hardcore emotion binge eating this past year and a half. My need for copious amounts if sweets was baffling and insane.

I love my coffee and loved it sweet and creamy - so two packets of splenda with no deviation thank you.

Along with hitting the Ketosis macros way of eating super strict (I'm on day 4) I've also tried to cut out splendid/artificial sweetener (diet gingerale). So no pop now and I've started by reducing my coffee intake and using either 1 or 1/2 a packet of splenda. Seconding KnitOrMiss's comment, I'm hoping over the next few weeks to be able to knock that back to zero packets.

I think the sweetener really affects me and makes me want to eatallthethingsbecauseapparentlyi'mstarving even though dinner was just an hour ago.

KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, if sweets are your thing, work to sweeten only to tolerance, not to taste. Sweeten the least that you can tolerate drinking or eating something, not to where you instantly want another serving. It's quite the adjustment, but just start small with stepping back - maybe half a packet or 5 less drops of sweetener on Monday, then maintain that level all week, then step back the next Monday/serving, whatever.....

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Mentally designating as not mine. I'm going to try my hardest to mentally designate in the future. If that somehow works...I'm going to make it! Thank you !!!

@Astharteea Work through the embarrassment, the humiliation, the sneaking to the store to buy a replacement before he notices, think about it as a drug, that you're hoarding it and hiding it, willing to beg/borrow/steal to fuel your addiction. Then give your hubby a set shelf in the pantry, the fridge, and mine also has a side table next to his side of the couch. I don't even SEE the things in those areas anymore. Trump up and do horror tales of the worst parts of how you feel about the whole process, and use that as your fuel to sear it into your memory that those things are NOT YOURS. That's literally what I have to do - and now we have a pack of Oreo's in the pantry that are literally going stale (6+ months) that used to be if I knew they were there, within a week, they'd have been gone - now they aren't even a temptation... Sometimes I have to think of the foods like poison. Sometimes I have to eat far more of something ON PLAN for me to avoid something off plan that would trigger a binge. I'd rather eat a pack of bacon until I can't stand it anymore than a single trigger food, etc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    ketozing wrote: »
    what a great thread - and kudo's to all us bingers fessing up.
    I've always been a savory over sweetie kinda gal, but after a knee injury and going from super active to sedentary fell into some pretty hardcore emotion binge eating this past year and a half. My need for copious amounts if sweets was baffling and insane.

I love my coffee and loved it sweet and creamy - so two packets of splenda with no deviation thank you.

Along with hitting the Ketosis macros way of eating super strict (I'm on day 4) I've also tried to cut out splendid/artificial sweetener (diet gingerale). So no pop now and I've started by reducing my coffee intake and using either 1 or 1/2 a packet of splenda. Seconding KnitOrMiss's comment, I'm hoping over the next few weeks to be able to knock that back to zero packets.

I think the sweetener really affects me and makes me want to eatallthethingsbecauseapparentlyi'mstarving even though dinner was just an hour ago.

KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, if sweets are your thing, work to sweeten only to tolerance, not to taste. Sweeten the least that you can tolerate drinking or eating something, not to where you instantly want another serving. It's quite the adjustment, but just start small with stepping back - maybe half a packet or 5 less drops of sweetener on Monday, then maintain that level all week, then step back the next Monday/serving, whatever.....

@ketozing Powdered Splenda has dextrose AND maltodextrin, both of which have a higher glycemic impact than sugar itself, so this is probably fueling your body to crave badly. Try switching to a liquid if you have to have splenda - or a different, lower glycemic impact than this... Splenda also causes inflammation and swelling and weight gain in tons of people.