Weekly Post - March 7th to March 13th

Options
snaps27
snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
Hello all you sweeties! Speaking of sweets...Easter is...oh well you know! My large ferrero rocher egg is calling >:)
Well hi everyone... So this week I've already had two days were they were not really fasts but two low to be a normal eating day, anyone else struggle with that?

This has defiantly been me lately. Start everyday hoping for a fast and end at 600, 800, 1000 etc. Does mean I get some great low days but counter acting at least three LARGE days.
Yes @flumi_f there is indeed something to be learned from every experience indeed! Well said! You're very wise to move on. A good friend experiencing dating told me she's trying to change her daily habits, for instance; if she was always parking at the same lot at the stores she now parks in an opposite spot, or if she shopped at a particular grocery store she now shops at a different one.... Like an experiment of sorts to change things up in her life.... I look forward to hearing if her new path allows her to meet up with new men :D

After many years with absolute no dating...It took a me flying half way across the world to bump into my hubby on Kensington High Street. So many little decisions brought both of us to that street at that time. 13 years later we still talk about how we ended up there that day. We met on a Friday, I was due to fly back that Sunday, but I conveniently 'missed' my flight and he proposed five day later, the rest is history.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Please don't remind me @snaps27 :p

There is a sequel to that story...Today he had a friend try to befriend me on fb...then when I asked the guy who he was, I started getting messages from both simultaneously. Needless to say I deleted the request... How come a guy, that did not want to talk to me for almost two weeks after our second date, because I did not do what he had expected, sent me 5min of voice messages, telling me what I did wrong last week, now can't stop contacting me, since I stopped answering.... :D Kindergarden or what. He's 45 for God's sake!

LOVE your story @snaps27. That would be a great way to meet someone. Just hasn't happend to me yet. Not gonna lose hope though.

Had a good weekend. A busy saturday and then sunday was just for me. With a ride and a run and a bit too much home cooked food.... Had a good fast day today. Food is down the hatch and I'll be off to taichi class soon. Meals for the week are in the fridge, so I should be able to behave. B)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ahhh @snaps27 I have to think of it this way, a 1000 or 800 calorie day is a failed fast day, not a successful eating day....(I need that written on a t-shirt!!). And what a beautiful story of you & your husband! You just never know what life is going to present to you! Very romantic!

Hey @flumi_f what nerve of this dude(s)! Hit that 'block' button!! Yikes! And by the way your photos are fantastic! What a change!! I especially love how your shirt cover-up (I did that too) turned into that cute blue bolero style sweater!! Looking good Flumi!!!! :p
  • snaps27
    Options
    Eat, Pray, Love...I know this movie didn't get great reviews but I saw it over the weekend and I got some great things from it...

“But I love him.”... “So love him.” “But I miss him.” ...“So miss him. Send him some love and light every time you think about him, then drop it”.

I can apply this to anyone. Guilt is a big part of my struggle (guilt for leaving everyone I love behind to be with my hubby).

“A friend took me to the most amazing place the other day. It’s called the Auguste-um. Octavian Augustus built it to house his remains. When the barbarians came they trashed it a long with everything else. The great Augustus, Rome’s first true great emperor. How could he have imagined that Rome, the whole world as far as he was concerned, would be in ruins. It’s one of the quietest, loneliest places in Rome. The city has grown up around it over the centuries. It feels like a precious wound, a heartbreak you won’t let go of because it hurts too good. We all want things to stay the same. Settle for living in misery because we’re afraid of change, of things crumbling to ruins. Then I looked at around to this place, at the chaos it has endured – the way it has been adapted, burned, pillaged and found a way to build itself back up again. And I was reassured, maybe my life hasn’t been so chaotic, it’s just the world that is, and the real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation.”

― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love (I've got to read the book)

Continuing on my road of transformation.
  • Naboo63
    Naboo63 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My first day of the 5:2 fast program. Wish me luck on transforming the way I think and eat. Need to lose 25-30# to have decent BMI. I think this program makes sense, but it will be a lifestyle change. Not just a diet.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey, all (snaps, mama, Flumi)! Ive been having lots of FD that start off successful, but then around 4:30, I start nibbling until I'm way over 500 cals. Maybe I'm eating 700-800 cals instead. The way I look at it, at least I fasted for a good chunk of the day. There are other benefits besides weight loss. Plus, there were potential other calories I didn't eat, so, if anything, I broke even. Perhaps I'm able to deluding myself into justifying my overage, but the scale tells me I'm ok. I found my motivation recently at the dance studio. The idea of being on stage again has got me focused on losing the last 7 lbs. I wish I had more opportunities to perform...talk about a long-term commitment to looking good.

@flumi_f: you seem like such a well-rounded person who is open to meeting someone, but doesn't dwell too long when it doesn't work out. It's always amazing how often new people crop up in our lives. Some stick around for a bit, some are just strolling by for a brief visit. I really don't have any sage wisdom...I'm not that insightful. But there are good men out there.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey, all (snaps, mama, Flumi)! Ive been having lots of FD that start off successful, but then around 4:30, I start nibbling until I'm way over 500 cals. Maybe I'm eating 700-800 cals instead. The way I look at it, at least I fasted for a good chunk of the day. There are other benefits besides weight loss. Plus, there were potential other calories I didn't eat, so, if anything, I broke even. Perhaps I'm able to deluding myself into justifying my overage, but the scale tells me I'm ok. I found my motivation recently at the dance studio. The idea of being on stage again has got me focused on losing the last 7 lbs. I wish I had more opportunities to perform...talk about a long-term commitment to looking good.

I had those 700-800cal fast for the second half of 2015. At one point I accepted it and as soon as I got some other stuff sorted, my fasts and my motivation got better. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, instead of constantly fighting. :)
    @flumi_f: you seem like such a well-rounded person who is open to meeting someone, but doesn't dwell too long when it doesn't work out. It's always amazing how often new people crop up in our lives. Some stick around for a bit, some are just strolling by for a brief visit. I really don't have any sage wisdom...I'm not that insightful. But there are good men out there.

You're sweet. Thank you! The saying hi and letting go again is part of the online dating game. But it's true, my heart is more open in both ways, than it used to be. I let them in, but I also let them out again, if it's not a good fit. I learned alot about myself in the last few years, solved alot of my issues. My weight was a wall inside and out. Now I need the male 'mirrors' to show me which issues still need some work ;-) When I learned my lesson, I can let them go and make room for the 'right' one. He'll come. And yes I know there are good men out there. ;)
  • snaps27
    Options
    Weighed in this morning and saw 166 again. V. pleased! Finally feel a bit of control back. Emotions a running high because I am receiving the silent treatment at the moment from a certain someone. Never pleasant! Luckily it is having the opposite effect on me and I am running away from food not towards it.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Great job, Snaps. Your comment about getting the silent treatment and using food to cope just triggered how much I used to care about what others thought about me and how I would make a negative encounter about me...it's my fault, I did something to make them act like that or say that. I used to eat in response to moments like those, too. One of the thing I love about getting older is just not caring anymore. I really, truly do not care. And my dad taught me the most wonderful thing...asking myself if it is my problem. And most of the time, it's not. When I do discover I've offended someone or I've done something, I try to make it right. But I can't fix whatever someone else is going through. Keep up the great work, Snaps!!
  • snaps27
    Options
    Great job, Snaps. Your comment about getting the silent treatment and using food to cope just triggered how much I used to care about what others thought about me and how I would make a negative encounter about me...it's my fault, I did something to make them act like that or say that. I used to eat in response to moments like those, too. One of the thing I love about getting older is just not caring anymore. I really, truly do not care. And my dad taught me the most wonderful thing...asking myself if it is my problem. And most of the time, it's not. When I do discover I've offended someone or I've done something, I try to make it right. But I can't fix whatever someone else is going through. Keep up the great work, Snaps!!

Thanks @flossyruby1, you're so right because their mood shouldn't bother me or change my mood. I know it will all be over in a day or two but I know a big blow up is coming. Despite the 'I'm fine' 'nothing's wrong' its building up, I can feel it. Keeping it together...deep breaths.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Snaps, if it's someone who lives in the house with you (spouse), then I know EXACTLY how you feel. Honestly, it's the tension building and the "what if they say this" that's worse than the actual fight. I eventually figured out that it was pointless to anticipate the future. It always caused me suffering. So now I really just try to go with the flow. To actually just relax into the conflict because I've found its way less painful than the buildup. Oh and breathing helps too ;)
  • snaps27
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're a mind reader @flossyruby1 HeeHee ;) Breathing in, Breathing out.
  • Donwilks
    Donwilks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My first week and I've achieved 3 fast days and a Chinese takeaway that had already been booked :( feeling good that I've managed the fast days though :)
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    Today's fast is only going to be good because I am just too tired to get up and get food. *splat* (me falling face first into my pillow)
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome to fasting @Naboo63 and @Donwilks. You won't regret it. I have found that I feel in control on this program and not controlled by it.

I had two good fast days this week (Mon and Wed). Tues was under 1200 calories and yesterday around 1600. Today started out w/ a breakfast meeting, but I was not tempted by my usual and went for egg white omelet and don't think I'll eat again today. Hard part will be to not drink and I'm still whether or not to abstain.

Today also represents my last weekday of unemployment. I have been out of work since 12/31 (got a good severance). I start a new job with my County government as a project manager and I'm excited! Next weeks will be an incredible challenge to keep up with diet while adjusting to new surroundings and schedules.

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine."
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hey Dryheat! Good luck on the new job next week, excellent news for you! Sounds like your fasts are going well too! Positivity all around you, enjoy your last weekend!
  • snaps27
    Options
    Weight today, 164.2lb ... Back to my lowest number, whoo hoo!!
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    congrats snaps27 on reaching your lowest number......
  • GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken
    GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello -- new here! Just started reading about 5:2, and trying to decide if I can commit to it. It makes sense to me; just not sure I have the willpower. I'm thinking of fasting tomorrow (Monday) and Thursday this week. I won't have time to go to the market today so will have to rely on what's on hand for tomorrow's 500 calorie day -- would a couple of hard boiled eggs (about 80 cals each), a couple of Siljans crackerbreads (35 cals each), and some asparagus spears be okay? Lots of water too of course. I need to shed about 50 lbs and at 58, I'm long past my "easy to shed weight" age, so I'm not looking for a miracle - just a sensible and sustainable approach to health- and weight-management. I'm really interested in learning more from everyone here -- thanks in advance!
  • elaine8505
    elaine8505 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken - welcome! I turn 58 in a month and also have 50-60 lbs to lose. I started 5:2 three months ago and as of this week I have lost 18 lbs. An average of 6 lbs a months is the most successful I have been in years! It has changed my whole interaction with food and for the first time in 15 years I really believe this time I will reach my goal weight!
  • GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken
    Options
    Wow! Elaine8505 you have inspired me today! Huge congratulations to you! Any tips for me, based on your experience to date? Do you exercise? I absolutely hate exercise but have been forcing myself to ride my bike a bit, but that's about it for me at the moment. And really - congratulations and continued health/ success to you!