What's your favorite "luxury" item you like to take on the trail?

Options
stang02
stang02 Posts: 75 Member
Whether backpacking or day-hiking, what's your favorite luxury item (non-essential) you like to take with you?

After backpacking: I like a small flask of whiskey to wind down with at night.
Day-hike: A nice gourmet cheese, prosciutto, and a tiny bottle of wine to enjoy at a vista or stopping point along the way.

We have the luxury of eating/drinking like that on a hard hike. ;)

Replies

• undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Bourbon and cigars, though I could find a legitimate life-saving use for each in a true survival situation. So technically I bring no luxury items :smile:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I tend to take snacks that I normally don't allow myself like cinnamon licorice and sugar coated walnuts.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cell phone for taking pictures and additional battery packs for multi-day hikes.

ETA: I went with someone on a multi-day hike once who insisted on taking an mp3 player and listening to music everywhere. Because we had gotten so far behind, we were at risk of running out of food (even our extra food in case we got behind... that is how far behind we were). So despite her screaming about it (literally), we hiked through much of the night using headlamps to get some extra miles in. I really believed it to be an unnecessary risk to wear headphones while hiking at night and I told her that. She argued and used only 1 headphone. Personally, I thought that was stupid too because it might be easier to hear a bear or hog (this area had wild hogs) at night if one didn't have headphones.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My luxury item is my Kindle. I like to read for a few minutes before sleeping, and it is also wonderful on layover days or if you're rained in.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My blow up pillow. It's very light, but I like it better than rolled up clothes. It only weighs an ounce or two.
  • mywindingroad
    mywindingroad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My Kindle. I love to relax at night and read
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kasaz wrote: »
    My blow up pillow. It's very light, but I like it better than rolled up clothes. It only weighs an ounce or two.

I don't consider that a luxury item... I count my blow-up pillow as a part of my sleeping gear.