Thought provoking article on preventing/fighting Cancer with Keto

Options
bcedl1982
bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
I found this very interesting. They are calling for more studies, but in the meantime, it's very affirming for us.

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/05/468285545/fighting-cancer-by-putting-tumor-cells-on-a-diet

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It really is interesting. Makes sense that foods will affect the cancers - it affects everything else, right?

Brain cancers especially seem to benefit from a keto diet.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just clicked on the link. The photo alone is really refreshing to see! Will read the article now. :-)
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums up how the medical establishment views the keto diet, doesn't it?
    The idea of fighting cancer by changing what patients eat has obvious appeal, but it also raises worries. "I get a little scared when people start talking about diet for cancer since you can quickly get into pseudoscience here," Mayo's Thompson counters. He points out that data supporting the ketogenic diet in cancer are limited – and further that rigorous dietary studies are incredibly hard to pull off. "The drug companies aren't going to fund these types of trials," he says. "They can't make money marketing a diet."

The concluding paragraph is great:
    Even Seyfried acknowledges, despite his zeal for treating cancer by tinkering with calories, that in all likelihood diet and nutrient-based cancer treatments will serve as adjuncts to existing therapies. But what would be wrong with that? "We're slowing the tumor down and making it extremely vulnerable to lower, less-toxic doses of available drugs," he says, "When people are locked into an ideology created by a dogma they tend not to focus on rational alternatives."
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great article, thanks! Preventing reoccurrence of cancer is one reason why I went low carb last year.

Interesting YouTube channel from a guy who beat cancer if anyone would like to check it out; search "Chris beat cancer." He has a very compelling story about he cured himself through nutrition.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Dr. Thomas Seyfried on the causes of cancer I found to be of interest but it is more of a text book level for sure.

I think about 95% of cancer is preventable by lifestyle changes and the younger the better.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Personal story: I survived a head on collision only to discover in the ER 40 minutes later that I had kidney cancer!! …A friend suggested I change my diet immediately both to heal my broken body and also to improve my chances of getting through a very major surgery, My diet was horrid before --all sugar and junk) ( Some of it was DUE to the silent but raging cancer I am certain)..all I wanted was sugar!

Well what I learned is a "surgeon" is a doctor who sees a "tumor with an annoying human" connected to it. They actually LAUGHED at me for thinking I could help myself with nutrition..and the staff joked cruelly I was "going to cure myself with herbs"!!!! ..I said no such thing..that is how they saw eating broccoli, and vegetables. . All I wanted was to change my bad diet to improve my odds ( and I had read the sugar feeds cancer theory too).

I fought like hell to put off the surgery long enough to lose some weight, actually BE better, and then it went amazingly well, home in 3 days, and cancer free. ( I used the Budwig protocol removing all sugars, and it was a dairy based vegetarian diet…. with berries) ..looking back it WAS high fat, low carb naturally..I lost 35 pounds, and had the surgery, meanwhile the cancer did not grow during this time.)

I continue an adapted LCHF vegetarian diet because I can't have the bacon or cheeseburgers you all brag on..boohoo. BUT I just had my BEST blood test ever in 5 years since surgery because I found the solution with this diet to meet my needs. Dropping sugar is the key, and carbs next, at least for me.

PS March is Kidney Month… lots of education and free testing to ensure kidneys are working… kidney disease is silent, and 31 Million US Americans don't know they have it. A little education goes a long way.
    http://www.kidneyfund.org/news/news-releases/national-kidney-month-2016.html
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Personal story: I survived a head on collision only to discover in the ER 40 minutes later that I had kidney cancer!! …A friend suggested I change my diet immediately both to heal my broken body and also to improve my chances of getting through a very major surgery, My diet was horrid before --all sugar and junk) ( Some of it was DUE to the silent but raging cancer I am certain)..all I wanted was sugar!

Well what I learned is a "surgeon" is a doctor who sees a "tumor with an annoying human" connected to it. They actually LAUGHED at me for thinking I could help myself with nutrition..and the staff joked cruelly I was "going to cure myself with herbs"!!!! ..I said no such thing..that is how they saw eating broccoli, and vegetables. . All I wanted was to change my bad diet to improve my odds ( and I had read the sugar feeds cancer theory too).

I fought like hell to put off the surgery long enough to lose some weight, actually BE better, and then it went amazingly well, home in 3 days, and cancer free. ( I used the Budwig protocol removing all sugars, and it was a dairy based vegetarian diet…. with berries) ..looking back it WAS high fat, low carb naturally..I lost 35 pounds, and had the surgery, meanwhile the cancer did not grow during this time.)

I continue an adapted LCHF vegetarian diet because I can't have the bacon or cheeseburgers you all brag on..boohoo. BUT I just had my BEST blood test ever in 5 years since surgery because I found the solution with this diet to meet my needs. Dropping sugar is the key, and carbs next, at least for me.

PS March is Kidney Month… lots of education and free testing to ensure kidneys are working… kidney disease is silent, and 31 Million US Americans don't know they have it. A little education goes a long way.

What a great story. You're a winner!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Wow. Impressive. You are a stronger and smarter woman than most!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just clicked on the link. The photo alone is really refreshing to see! Will read the article now. :-)
    I thought the bacon was an odd choice, given all the hype about cured meats and cancer.... but the avocado looked amazing.

Thanks for posting this OP!
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    Maybe it was a stock photo? There sure are a lot of people in this community who still love their bacon!
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    @KETOGENICGURL what an amazing story! I admire your strength!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/2016/03/dietary-glycemic-ind.html

This is about some research from the MD Anderson Clinic that was just recently published about Carb/Cancer relationships.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. My mom died from breast cancer almost three years ago. I remember going with her to a chemo treatment, and while we were there, a nutritionist visited her and promoted eating a low-fat diet, which she said helps in the fight against cancer. ... Perhaps things would have turned out differently if we had known about a ketogenic diet then.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @KaseyDH83 sorry to hear about your mom. I have had the same thought about my mom's case since learning about LCHF but we did not know. In my case I was doing LCHF before I learned what it was just trying to manage my joint and muscle pain after the docs wanted me to start Enbrel injections in 90 days after I learned that is an associated risk of cancer when knocking down one's immune system.
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    @GaleHawkins thanks for the additional link. This is turning into a very interesting thread. @KaseyDH83 I am very sorry to hear about your mom, and yours, too, Gale.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins and @bcedl1982 Thank you for your kind words. I'll be interested to see how things continue to develop in the link between cancer and high carb/sugar diets. There have been so many studies published in the last year showing the benefits of replacing carbs with healthy fats. I'm trying to convince my younger siblings to adopt this way of eating. They are not very open to it, but with our family history of cancer, heart disease and diabetes, it would be smart for all of us to jump on this bandwagon.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @KaseyDH83 you are welcome. Best of success with your younger siblings but in my case it seems my words are worthless but my continued results from LCHF way of eating is slowly having an impact. Our son and daughter are 18 and the daughter is becoming carb aware little by little. Both have gone from having to help me out of cars, chairs, etc to seeing that I can do it on my own now just because I ditched most carbs so I eat less than 50 grams daily.

LCHF info is creeping into the mainstream news little by little which helps others know our Way Of Eating is valid.

As to the cancer/carb connection it has been known for over 100 years but not by the general public. The healthcare industry depends on our depending on them to stay alive longer after we eat wrong so they may never be a driving force in healthcare prevention. Having an earned OD degree and family in healthcare the blame is not totally on the system. I know obese MD's that fully know what they are doing is killing them but they truck on with the same Way Of Eating.

Our changes in our WOE have to come from internal forces and not external forces to be meaningful. Keep being a positive LCHF example is all we can do for the adults in our lives based on what I know today.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    bcedl1982 wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins thanks for the additional link. This is turning into a very interesting thread. @KaseyDH83 I am very sorry to hear about your mom, and yours, too, Gale.

@bcedl1982 you are welcome and thanks for starting this thread. I wished I had understood the carb/cancer connection long before like I do today. Now that I understand and have proven how to live a LCHF way of living should I get cancer or anyone under my roof the carb intake will stop for the most part as well as high protein so the glucose levels are as low as possible.