Daily carb allowance

Options
Hi- just wondering if you subtract grams of fiber from your total carb count for the day.

I seem to be getting over 60 grams of carbs per day from veggies. If I subtract the fiber it's only 35 grams......so what is the accurate carb count?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some do total carbs, some subtract fibre, some subtract sugar alcohols. The right answer is "the one that works for you." If you can do that and it doesn't impact your goals, then do it. If it does impact them, then don't. I wish there was a more cut-and-dried answer, but it really is "it depends."

I subtract fibre and half the sugar alcohols, because that works for me and subtracting doesn't impact my weight loss. My dietitian, who is very keto-friendly, highly suggests subtracting fibre, so I do.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I go by net carbs because I like veggies and often have a salad plus no fiber tends to, for me anyway, get me in a bind... literally. I have found that I need the fiber from veggies to keep me regular and for that reason go by net (and I subtract sugar alcohol's because I don't eat many anyway although I've been on an Atkin's bar kick this week but that's about it.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just count carbs straight up when I count them. Fiber is a positive factor but I just use it to help offset hidden carbs because that is what works for me. I can count but don't unless there is something about my weight that does not add up. :)

Most animals do not count but yet seldom are obese by a factor of 2x-4x.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I count total. It's just easier.
    If I wanted to eat that much veg on a daily basis I would just make my goal higher.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I just count carbs straight up when I count them. Fiber is a positive factor but I just use it to help offset hidden carbs because that is what works for me.
    ^This for me too. It's just a little easier for me. Then again, I don't eat much veggies.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I counted, I'd do net, because I eat a lot of veggies, and would want to keep doing so.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm still finding my "happy place" with carb intake, but I have typically aimed for net carbs, but I am watching what I do for total carbs to see if there's a trend there. I'd agree with what was said earlier, do what works best for you.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I go by net and keep net under 20 grams to meet my goals. (Percentage is 70 fat/25 protein/ 5 carbs). Protein is a goal, fat and carbs are limits.

But sometimes I am too lazy to update a value on my diary from total to net but then I still keep it under 20 because less is less.
  • slowsquash
    slowsquash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi- just wondering if you subtract grams of fiber from your total carb count for the day.

I seem to be getting over 60 grams of carbs per day from veggies. If I subtract the fiber it's only 35 grams......so what is the accurate carb count?

First off - love the name (I have a puggle <3 )

Also - I subtract the fiber, everyone here has some great points but I do it mainly because common sense tells me that eating veggies is good ...
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i count net.
    i subtract fiber from total carbs.
    i aim for <25g/day
    :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The only carbs to subtract are the insoluble ones. If you want to try to figure that out constantly - go for it. I prefer to not subtract them.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I plan to keep eating a lot of veggies, so I will see how counting net works for me. I don't eat any sugar alcohols, or artificial sweeteners at all, so I don't have to worry about those.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Note - If you're diabetic or prediabetic, there can be a substantial difference in the effect of fiber vs. other carbs on your blood glucose (and insulin level). Being diabetic, I subtract the fiber grams but not sugar alcohols, since I'm not sure of their effect.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I count net, too.
    I don't often eat sugar alcohols. I usually subtract those too but tha's a lot more rare. I always subtract the fiber. In weight loss mode I aimed to stay under 20-30 net per day. In early maintenance, I'm adding more veggies and now I'm aiming to stick to 30-40 net per day.