Beginning Bariatric Surgery Process Through Kaiser

Options
cup_o_jo
cup_o_jo Posts: 13 Member
Hi all! I am 37, weigh 273.4 pounds and am 5'8" tall. I am married with 3 wild kids. I am a Kaiser Northern California patient and just went to orientation on Friday. I will be receiving a call tomorrow to set up my appt. with a surgeon. I'm super excited and super anxious all at the same time. I started the recommended 1200 calorie diet today to lose 15-20 pounds pre-surgery. I'm not so good at logging everything, but am hoping this group will help with that. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Replies

• krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just had my RNY 3/3/16. I dont know how long of a pre-surgery program you have, but no matter how long it is I'm guessing it will fly by!

And I know what you mean about not being good at logging everything. That's something that I am still working on.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for more friends. This is a great group and I have learned a lot from everyone's posts.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    cup_o_jo wrote: »
    I'm not so good at logging everything, but am hoping this group will help with that. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

I was "not so good" at logging for years & years, so I know where you're at. However, I took on this process and knew that bad habits had to be flushed, and the only way to do that was to start replacing them with good ones. Definitely not easy! In order to be successful, we've all had to change our way of thinking from some version of "I'm a fat person who doesn't keep track of my food & doesn't exercise regularly (if at all)," to "I'm getting fit, tracking everything and working out because I care about my body and I'm worth it!" This mindshift is usually harder than the act of cutting calories. Many of us have sought professional help with this.

Read these boards religiously for inspiration (there's plenty of it) and keep posting. Start adding friends (send a little note with your request mentioning one of their posts you noticed) - I've never been turned down. Mfp friends will give you tremendous support and a kick in the butt now and then if you need it. You can do this! :):)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend logging every bite of food! It will help you learn about the foods you are choosing to fill those 1200 calories with. It will help you find more satisfying foods to replace some that may leave you hungry (teaching you to avoid these types of foods). Send out friend requests, and look at diaries of people who log their food for ideas about what could be better choices! Plug in here, read back on threads and learn as much as you can during this time too! More knowledge is always better for you! Best of luck to you!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @rpyle111 is the poster child for maximizing your preop time. Use this time to really research the surgery and life after and to start making the habit changes needed to make it work for you. There are tons of great and helpful people here, so please ask questions and if you have some time, read the past threads. This is a great support and resource, I learned many tips and tricks, even though I didn't find this place until I was a few weeks post op.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @sinderstorm!

The switch really flipped for me in the bariatric orientation. With a lot to lose, maximizing my pre-op loss made it possible to hit goal within the honeymoon period.

Do as much as you can to incorporate the postop diet preop and get moving!

I lost 100 pounds preop and the the remaining 80 to goal post op. Learning maintenance over my first winter at maintenance has been interesting.

So for preop folks, don't think of the time until surgery as wasted or just insurance hoops. *Use* that time to maximize your chances of success!

Rob
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, rpyle111. Use your pre-op time to your advantage. The more weight you lose will only help you reach your goal sooner. Nothing passes my lips that is not recorded! I have to be that hard on myself. It has proved to be the key to my success so far. Good Luck!!!
  • cup_o_jo
    cup_o_jo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. Logging seems to get easier every day. I'm really hoping I can lose my pre-op weight in 6 weeks.