How long does it last?

Options
Kellryn
Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
I'm very new to this way of eating, I'm on day 5. How long does having to pee ALL the time last? I am used to drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water/tea every day for over 2 years now. I did increase my water/tea to 8 to 10 glasses a day since I started LCHF. I'm going so much sometimes several times an hour, how long will it be like this?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Are you thirsty when you are drinking or are you adding water because you think you should? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but if you aren't thirsty I'd slow down on the water because you might be flushing out too many electrolytes. If you are thirsty then carry on and I assume your body will adapt.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When you increase your water, your body will need to adjust, and it may take a week or 2, at least, to get situated on that. I find the increased water keeps the ship sailing smoothly, as we tend to live in a dehydrated state more than we think, so 8-10 glasses is awesome! I did a month where I increased my water intake every week. The first 2 weeks were like living in the bathroom, but eventually it got better...granted, I was ADDING more water weekly, so my body was STILL adapting to all of it. It was a VERY cool experience and made me acutely aware of how little water I was drinking daily.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Strong word of advice, if you are drinking that much and urinating frequently and not adding in extra sodium going to the bathroom a lot is going to be the least of your issues. Please add in sodium at least 3000 - 5000 mg a day to make up for what you are losing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When carbs are lowered, you lose some water weight. It usually evens out in a few days or a couple of weeks.

Ditto the others about increasing salt. If you get tired, headaches, muscle aches or cramps, or brain fog then you know your electrolytes are getting too low. How are you feeling so far?
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did increase my sodium, I'm eating more pickles and drinking broth. I really dislike table salt, so I don't salt my food very much, though I've tried to remember to do it the last few days. I'm barely getting 4000 mg. I've always taken magnesium, so I should be good there.

As for how I'm feeling, it's hard to say since I got a cold the day before I started LCHF and I'm one of those slow to get over it people. So not sure if the runny nose/tired feeling is the illness or not (probably is since I'm sure the cough is).

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember, I think I peed a lot the first week or maybe two.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It hasn't stopped for me and it's been four months. But I think that really is because I drink a lot of water.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I pee all the time...and I have almost no ability to hold it for any significant period of time. It hasn't changed and it's been 4 months. I think it's just the way it's gonna be unless I drink less. On days that I do drink less, it's by far fewer trips to the restroom. But I get headaches if I don't drink enough - so I choose to pee more.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I pee all the time...and I have almost no ability to hold it for any significant period of time. It hasn't changed and it's been 4 months. I think it's just the way it's gonna be unless I drink less. On days that I do drink less, it's by far fewer trips to the restroom. But I get headaches if I don't drink enough - so I choose to pee more.

Lol I could have written this, I'm exactly the same.