Keto coffee (BPC)

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
I started drinking it the beginning of last week. And I absolutely love it. Eight weeks in now and I'm really not happy with the results, though I have to say I am feeling better so I'm happy with that.
Anyhow last week I decided I would try intermittent fasting. Basically I would have the bulletproof coffee, with just coconut oil and kerrigold, and not eat anything until around 1 o'clock. At which time I would have lunch, later dinner and be done eating around seven. So since that time, I've actually gained 3 pounds. I thought it was just water weight fluctuation but it's been there for the last four days so I definitely think it's a gain. Have any of you had bulletproof coffee interfere with your weight loss? Or cause you to gain? FYI I am staying at around 1200 cal, I walk 5 miles a day at work and I also go to the gym five nights a week.

Anyhow, I love the coffee it keeps me very satiated, however I don't want to be sabotaging myself. Any thoughts, maybe your experience?

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hmm ... I would probably experiment with adding another meal (redistributing your calories accordingly) and see what happens. I have no science behind that; just a hunch that you might have a metabolism that does better with somewhat more frequent meals. (Mine seems to.)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you are eating only 1200 cals a day it is not fat gain. I would and have just continued with what I am doing as you are doing things correctly and eventually the scale will catch up.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Today I did forgo (sp?) the BPC and had eggs and bacon. Which I was STARVING for. I feel like I'm in a constant state of experimentation with the WOE. But I'm trying :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @dietbepsi I drink my coffee with cacao, coconut oil, HWC (heavy whipping cream) and a tad of shilajit power (for 85 minerals and fulvic acid but Google for more details but its use is optional). This is my first cup of coffee each day and is 500-800 of my 2500 daily calories to maintain.

As long as I stay <50 grams of carbs daily I can eat a ton of food without gaining. I do not know you but I expect you may be seriously under eating. In my case it was six weeks before I lost a pound. It seems in my case I had to get more healthy (I was slipping fast) before my brain would let go of my extra fat.

Healthy humans do not gain weight on 1200 calories a day based on my readings and experience. Maintenance for health people seem to be in the 2000-3000 calories a day.

My exercise program is walking a 1/4 mile daily. It would seem you are burning a lot of calories with exercise.

You will get there but have no expectations of seeing weight declines while you are in the learning part I learned in my case. I lost weight when I STOPPED dieting and starting to eat to live longer and do it as pain free as possible.

Read on this subject of LCHF. It has nothing to do with direct weight loss but it is about getting health so our brain can go back to managing our weight without effort on our part. This will not happen over night so we need to monitor our food intake until our health recovers and the brain guides our Way Of Eating instead of old bad habits that we developed when we were not healthy.

• tette37
    tette37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bpc always slows my weight loss down....it sucks because I love it also I did go and buy the MCT oil and use that instead of coconut oil and it has helped i am loosing good now all i put in it is 2 tbs mct oil 1 tbs butter and a sugar free flavoring like hazelnut and that doesn't seem to hurt me as bad...i still keep it for special occasions defiantly not daily
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Could you be losing inches but not pounds? Have you noticed your clothes fitting differently? I don't do BPC so I can offer any insight in that aspect, but would think you'd at least be losing inches. Good luck and don't give up just yet.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you on your TOM? Hormones play a huge role.
    I notice no difference between BPC for breakfast or food (usually scrambled cheesy eggs) other than I *require* food if I plan to work out on my lunch hour (which is when I work out). Although, I know a lot of people prefer working out fasted.

As others said, I don't think the gain is "legitimate" assuming calories and macros are in line. But you should do what feels best for you and your body when it comes to how you distribute your calories throughout the day (IIFYM).

Sometimes I just have coconut oil coffee as a snack instead of coconut and butter as a meal replacement.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Hopefully this link works. I have such trouble trying to get the right format on these things.

This is my past 30 days of weight loss compared to calorie intake. My intake goal (the red line) is 1700 calories. Do you see that whole stretch of time where I didn't lose an ounce? I was actually showing a gain on the scale but I don't log those, I only log when the scale goes down. So for over 2 weeks while eating within my calorie goal I didn't lose anything.

Then do you see where it starts to drop after those two weeks, little by little, added up to 1.8 lbs I think, within a few days. I was not eating less I was still in the same range and didn't change anything.

It will happen you just need patience and don't put so much thought into the scale it really is one of the worst forms of measuring what is going on in your body.

I hope this helps

(oh I drink bpc every morning)

we7f3il7loca.jpg
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Such helpful information. I'm definitely not going to "give up" because I do believe in this way of eating. And I'm doing it also for my cholesterol, I'm very curious to get my blood work done in May! But it is a frustration to me to be it adhering to something so strictly and still having trouble. I'm a results driven person. And no, unfortunately not losing inches and TOM finished last weekend. I'm sure I just need to relax a bit, and maybe eat more calories, but I am truly not hungry. It goes against EVERYTHING in me to eat more calories and more fat (years of brainwashing) but that very well may be what I need to do.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Folks I guess I am just an old guy that sounds like a broken record repeating myself. Keto is NOT about losing weight. It is about learning then eating in a way that is best for YOU, not what is best for me or anyone else.

I promise 90 days AFTER you learn how to eat best in Your case most of your health issues that are diet related will start to improve including waist line and body weight.

I only lost weight and kept it off AFTER I stopped DIETING to lose weight. I only eat for better health today. Most of us got fat due to failing health issues. When they are reversed when we start eating and moving in a way that is best for our bodies the weight should take care of itself.

In my case I just had to stop eating sugar and any forms of grain and add fats for my health to start to slowly return over time. Just find out what not to eat and what to eat in your case and see what the results are like in your case.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's very very very very difficult to get past the scale thing, but you have not gained fat just because the scale goes up and stays up.
    I weighed in st 134.2 on February 8, and have not weighed below 135.4 any day since then. I even hit 139 one morning! As of today, I weighed 136. It's been an entire month with no new loss. But I have not gained fat. I have eaten at a deficit every single day. And I have been more active, adding about 3500 steps a day to my weekly average from about 6 weeks ago because I'm busier with work right now. Nothing about this makes sense. There's just something else my body is working on that's more important than reducing fat. I know that everything we've ever learned has taught is that our bodies work like perfect calculators subtracting fat when calories are insufficient, but they are simply wrong. It just doesn't work that way. And the scale will not ever, never ever, consistently go down and stay down. Ever.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere "here or there " that any time you make a change from your normal woe (not sure if the bpc would count but the IF should) your body kind of freaks out a little and needs a few days to catch up with the change.

I was in a stall for a while. I hit the books, blogs, youtube, etc and found I was under eating at 1200 calories and had to up my caloric intake. So I upped it to 1300 & **BOOM** down 5 lbs a week later. Crazy what our bodies do.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Folks I guess I am just an old guy that sounds like a broken record repeating myself. Keto is NOT about losing weight. It is about learning then eating in a way that is best for YOU, not what is best for me or anyone else.

I promise 90 days AFTER you learn how to eat best in Your case most of your health issues that are diet related will start to improve including waist line and body weight.

I only lost weight and kept it off AFTER I stopped DIETING to lose weight. I only eat for better health today. Most of us got fat due to failing health issues. When they are reversed when we start eating and moving in a way that is best for our bodies the weight should take care of itself.

In my case I just had to stop eating sugar and any forms of grain and add fats for my health to start to slowly return over time. Just find out what not to eat and what to eat in your case and see what the results are like in your case.

I get what you're saying and I can appreciate it. However fundamentally for me it is about losing weight. Besides the genetic high cholesterol I don't have any health issues.... That I am aware of. (My mom, my grandma, all my siblings, we all have it, yet interestingly no one has had heart attacks, or heart disease) (Knock wood) I don't have any food addictions, or any other kind of issues that would force me to change my lifestyle.....however.... I have 15-20 of extra weight that I absolutely hate! I came to this because I believe in low-carb and it worked for me before. Even before that I used to do weight watchers after I had my babies and I would lose the weight immediately. Then I hit 35 and all the sudden when I wanted to lose a few pounds, counting calories didn't work for me anymore, so I tried low-carb. It worked marvelously, I dropped 15 pounds and kept it off..until the last couple of years and I would say it gradually crept back on. I didn't intentionally do Keto. I started with LCHF, and it kind of morphed into Keto. That's what it's been for the last eight weeks. And that's why I find it extremely frustrating when I've been so religious about following this to the T that the weight isn't coming off. Because I feel hopeless if this doesn't work, and counting calories doesn't work, then what will? And doing LCHF AND counting calories within those parameters doesn't work? Yikes then we have a problem!! So I'm kind of wondering where I would go from here to lose this weight if this doesn't end up working. Even my thyroid doesn't seem to be an issue based on bloodwork. So what the heck is it? I'm not quitting because I'm very determined but I would be lying to say I'm not discouraged.
    And I give total props and much respect to people that are doing this to fix health issues, so proud of people that do that, that's just not where I'm at at this point.

It's very very very very difficult to get past the scale thing, but you have not gained fat just because the scale goes up and stays up.
    I weighed in st 134.2 on February 8, and have not weighed below 135.4 any day since then. I even hit 139 one morning! As of today, I weighed 136. It's been an entire month with no new loss. But I have not gained fat. I have eaten at a deficit every single day. And I have been more active, adding about 3500 steps a day to my weekly average from about 6 weeks ago because I'm busier with work right now. Nothing about this makes sense. There's just something else my body is working on that's more important than reducing fat. I know that everything we've ever learned has taught is that our bodies work like perfect calculators subtracting fat when calories are insufficient, but they are simply wrong. It just doesn't work that way. And the scale will not ever, never ever, consistently go down and stay down. Ever.

You know, and I'm sure you remember this, I had decided to not weigh myself a couple of weeks in because it was so frustrating. But actually your graph with happy scale is what motivated me to do it again lol. Because of the point that you made of the 4 pounds and what a difference it made in you, and wow it really does! I thought if I could see the fluctuations maybe that will be better for me. As long as there is a downward trend. But I think I've come to the realization that actually I need to not weigh myself daily. It's just hard to not stand on the scale because I really want to do it! But it makes me so MAD!!
    megemrj wrote: »
    I have read somewhere "here or there " that any time you make a change from your normal woe (not sure if the bpc would count but the IF should) your body kind of freaks out a little and needs a few days to catch up with the change.

I was in a stall for a while. I hit the books, blogs, youtube, etc and found I was under eating at 1200 calories and had to up my caloric intake. So I upped it to 1300 & **BOOM** down 5 lbs a week later. Crazy what our bodies do.

I hope this works, i'm going to try to increase my calories I have decided. Like I said in the beginning I feel like the last eight weeks have just been one big experiment week by week changing things up :-) nuts, no nuts. Cheese, no cheese. Sodium pills, no sodium pills. Weighing myself, not weighing myself etc....
    I feel like all I do is read, I fully believe in educating myself about everything, and I tend to get a bit obsessive about subjects when I'm interested in them. I love all the links people post, I love all the books I've gotten from the library, I love all the blogs I follow, YouTube videos I watch. I definitely have learned a lot that's for sure. But I absolutely love hearing other people's experiences the most I think. I always have.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You're fighting a mental battle. You're stressing yourself out. That will inhibit weight loss.
    You need your focus to be health and not weight, or you will not keep it up because you cannot deal with scale frustration forever. Your will power to push through even though you don't like the scale will expire and you know where that will leave you right?
    If you are focused on scale weight, you're going to be disappointed a lot. I weighed in at the same weight as 2 months ago today. Actually, I think I hit today's weight a few times as my lowest weight as many as 5 months ago. But, the pants I bought then, that barely fit are loose enough to take off without unbuttoning now.
    The scale means nothing on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. Especially when you're close to goal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP how confident are you in your logging accuracy?
    sorry if I missed it, but are you using a food scale or measuring cups/spoons?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, what @Christine_72 said; especially with BPC it can jump from 300 to 500 calories real quick, and that is a big deal when you're trying to stick to only 1200.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    I'm sure I can tighten that up. I do count like with nuts....like I'll count 17 out, etc... With butter I cut the line that says tablespoon etc.... I use the cups if I need to use cups for something, one slice of cheese is gone slice of cheese, lunch meat I definitely estimate if I eat that. But I'm sure that's not *perfect
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @dietbepsi do you have a food scale? from your description of how you are measuring your food, it is likely very inaccurate. The example portion size is rarely the same as the actually g measurement that is one service. Try getting a scale, I got one for like 11 dollars on amazon and it helps a lot. After a while my estimating is fairly accurate because I've measured out the same things so many times. In the beginning though I was all over the place and didn't really have a clue, on a lot of the more calorie dense foods I was actually way underestimating.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Thanks I will.