Very Slow Weight Loss

Options
klkateri
klkateri Posts: 432 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Ok, so it's been 2 months (well, tomorrow will be 2 months) and I've dropped 10 pounds in that time but I feel like its going so slow compared to others eating at my same macro's. I am wondering if I should start to add in CICO?

Current macros - Carbs (net) 20g, Fat 131g and protien 79. I'm have my calorie goal set at 1600 but seem to keep coming in around 1800 or so. I have just added in regular walking due to the nicer weather and some light cardio maybe once a week. (My doctor had recommended waiting until month 3 to work out but I've got the itch to get moving so I'm going with it.)

Diary is open and just looking for suggestions.

OR IS THIS ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD RATE AND I'M JUST OVER EXPECTING?! Which I'll admit, could be the case as well... espically when you read stories where it's like "I lost 300 pound in 6 months on Keto"

EDIT - I have been up'ing my water intake as well but for the last week, possibly even two, I've been getting about 10 - 12 a day... and still feel like I could drink more some days!! (Office is very dry, home is dry lol and I've always been a very thirsty person.)

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are averaging almost a pound a week which I think is a good healthy rate and is sustainable for the long term. Once you are moving more, that will probably result in faster loss.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's a good number, and I can tell you from personal experience, I start to go a bit crazy watching others have great losses all the time, because mine is a much slower pace! I'm even slower than you are right now, so...

I figure that as long as I feel good, I'll just keep on with it, and they weight has to catch up eventually...

Besides, @klkateri if you're metabolically challenged like I am, your body could be repairing things before gearing up for more movement in the weight.

Oh, and adding in even walking will slow your numbers up for 2-4 weeks while your body adjusts to the new usage / added water retention for muscle repair, etc.
  • klkateri
    Options
    Maybe part of my issue too is that today I feel like a brick and that I keep gaining and losing the same dang 3 pounds this week so I'm just a touch discouraged.. not quiting, but definatly annoyed and frustrated.

Not to mention when I first lost weight, in 6 weeks I lost 15lbs and 12 inches overall and felt amazing.. until I stalled out for 4 months lol!! I guess there was a part of me that was hoping for similar results!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!

I had been losing/gaining the same 2 pounds for about six weeks and then came a big whoosh. Sometimes it happens like that.

As mentioned above, a pound a week is healthy and sustainable.

As women, we lose slower than men so don't compare yourself to stories about men losing so much weight in such little time. My boyfriend has been doing keto for two months but he has been very loose with it and he lost 20 pounds. It took me four months to lose 20 pounds and I was way more careful and disciplined than him.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mine has been slow too. The first couple weeks I lost 7 pounds or so, then it really slowed down and then stalled. I'm not giving up...it hasn't been enough time to be too discouraged. Hang in there!
  • klkateri
    Options
    So you don't think that I'm coming in high in my calories is the culprit? I've actually been worried that may be the case. I know that i will have to add in CICO but it seems that once my appetite goes down a bit I should be ok.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    @klkateri How did you come up with your macros? Did you use the keto calculator on your launch pad? Sorry, I don't know your stats (age, height, weight). I am not sure if the calories are too high or not.
    klkateri wrote: »
    So you don't think that I'm coming in high in my calories is the culprit? I've actually been worried that may be the case. I know that i will have to add in CICO but it seems that once my appetite goes down a bit I should be ok.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

your calories aren't enough to make a major impact overall, in my opinion...as long as they are good fats and such, depending on your weight. Also, the activity will slow losses for a while, too. Give that a full 4 weeks with activity and use measurements and pictures to see differences there. The calories are likely due to increased activity...

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Here's the referenced calculator.
  • klkateri
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @klkateri How did you come up with your macros? Did you use the keto calculator on your launch pad? Sorry, I don't know your stats (age, height, weight). I am not sure if the calories are too high or not.

I used Keto Calculator for my numbers. (Same wesite link as in the post above)

Sorry I forgot my stats, here you go!!

Stats: 37/f/5'6 (rounding up. Actually 5'5.5"), 240 (This weeks average weight so far). Desk Job but I tend to get about 10,000 steps a day sometimes more (Have a fitbit)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    If the keto calculator gave you those macros then you should be OK.

Don't get discouraged if the weight loss is slow. If you are being diligent, the weight loss will come.

As @KnitOrMiss mentioned above, increased activity will bring on water retention. Don't get discouraged if you increase your activity and the weight on the scale goes up.

You got this!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!

I had been losing/gaining the same 2 pounds for about six weeks and then came a big whoosh. Sometimes it happens like that.

As mentioned above, a pound a week is healthy and sustainable.

As women, we lose slower than men so don't compare yourself to stories about men losing so much weight in such little time. My boyfriend has been doing keto for two months but he has been very loose with it and he lost 20 pounds. It took me four months to lose 20 pounds and I was way more careful and disciplined than him.

This! I was losing at a steady pound a week until about two months ago. Was stuck at 152 for about six weeks, then, whoosh! 2 lbs gone in a week. It happens that way sometimes. I'm really close to goal so the losses are frustratingly slooooow at this point, but I just try to focus on how good I feel, and know that I will get there, even if it takes a bit longer than I'd like. Try taking measurements too, sometimes the scale takes time to catch up and show progress.

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One thing that has worked for me in previous rounds of keto was to up my calories to only a 5% deficit for one or two days and then cut down to 10-20% deficit. 2000 calories would still probably be a deficit for you based on your weight and you 10k steps.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I think that rate of loss sounds reasonable, actually. I
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Remember slow weight loss equals slow muscle loss
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I wish I could say I have lost any weight. I've been low carbing for 30 days now and I have lost absolutely nothing. In fact, I think I may have gained a pound. And that's on top of a very active life of running an organic farm.

So be proud of what you have done. I'm sure it didn't come easy.
  • jayfo1994
    jayfo1994 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. {{{ group hug }}}
    I work out 6 days a week (new for me), gave up all the sweets I used to consume daily, and have stuck to low carb for weeks now. You'd think I'd fit into my previous weight shorts. Of course not!!! grrrrrrr. Sad face. =(
    All I can do is keep on keepin' on and read everyone's NSV's/success stories while waiting for this weight loss goodness to happen to me too. You're not alone! But I figure it would hurt more for me to give up and go back to my old ways. This HAS to work one of these days :neutral:
    Stick with me on this :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? :smile:
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a month in and have basically not lost any weight either. I'm 49, 6 foot 1, and approx 213 lbs. I usually get in at least 10,000 steps a day and do some very light weight training as well. I think part of it for me might be that I am trying not to lose muscle mass so I am not going with a very big deficit. But I had hoped by now to at least notice some loosening of my waist band. I used the keto-calculator.ankerl and it said my base metabolic rate is 1915 Kcal. So for 1lb a week weight loss it has me at 1887 Kcal (25g carb 5%, 158g protein 33%, 128g fat 62%). I go over that amount at times but with exercise I am still below what it says I can eat. I'm trying to keep positive and trust the process but it can be very frustrating when I have not felt any decrease in weight or most especially waist size. I've been exercising for more than a month (just started logging some of it on MFP recently but always keep a written log) so I don't think that is it. Reading the success stories on here help keep me motivated and keep me from losing faith but also make me feel frustrated at times. Waiting and hoping for that "whoosh" and the increased energy I hear everyone talk about. Not sure what else to do other than decrease calories even more and then worry about muscle loss. :/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Here's the referenced calculator.

That calculator is nice! Several variables you can alter and easy links to better-than-average BMI calculation.

Thanks!

• klkateri
    Options
    Can you open your diary? :smile:

It's open to my friends but I will open it for a the next couple days then