30 minute routines?

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
I recently got booted out of my company fitness center for being a contractor. :( This means I have to actually drive to the nearest location of LA Fitness to get in my lunchtime workout. I only have about 30 minutes to exercise after subtracting travel time and clothes-changing time from my lunch hour. So far I've just been using the time to do cardio, but I would like to do some lifting. Unfortunately, I don't have quite enough time to resume Stronglifts. Do any of you know of a decent 30 minute program? It can be a split, although I would prefer full body (who wouldn't love to get a full workout in just half an hour?). I am not experienced enough to create my own program just yet. Thanks.

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts takes longer than 30 minutes?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts takes me about 30 minutes to complete, but ONLY because other people at the gym tend to hog the Olympic Barbells.
  • engodwin
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Stronglifts takes me about 30 minutes to complete, but ONLY because other people at the gym tend to hog the Olympic Barbells.

That's what I thought... It only takes me about 30 minutes also.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    When I first started I could finish in 30 minutes, but once the lifts got heavier and the warm-up sets increased it would take me closer to 45 minutes, an hour if I actually warmed up properly. And, yeah, always fighting for equipment. :(
  • engodwin
    Options
    When I first started I could finish in 30 minutes, but once the lifts got heavier and the warm-up sets increased it would take me closer to 45 minutes, an hour if I actually warmed up properly. And, yeah, always fighting for equipment. :(

Fighting for the equipment def sucks!

I have a weak upper body - I seriously struggle with 60lbs on rows/bench/ohp
    and perhaps squatting/dl 150+% of body weight isn't "heavy" when you weigh 105-115 lbs :neutral: it's "heavy" to me LOL!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    engodwin wrote: »

Fighting for the equipment def sucks!

I have a weak upper body - I seriously struggle with 60lbs on rows/bench/ohp
    and perhaps squatting/dl 150+% of body weight isn't "heavy" when you weigh 105-115 lbs :neutral: it's "heavy" to me LOL!

It sounds like we have similar stats. I'm at 125 right now, but I was at 118 last year. Then I broke my wrist, spent 19 weeks in a cast, and put on a few pounds. I was squatting 165 and struggling with it. I think my form is off. I was deadlifting 195 (I love to deadlift!). Bench was at 75 and OHP 65. I never quite got the row form down, I don't think. It always seemed way too easy. 4 years of pole, plus aerial silks means any pulling motion is a piece of cake. Pushing is another story! :wink:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I can do Stronglifts in 20-30 min. Try going before work or a time when it isn't crowded? I don't have to wait for equipment, so I get done however fast I can complete all my sets.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Maybe I am doing something wrong because I don't see how it is mathematically possible to finish this workout in 20 minutes. I just pulled up the app. If I could pick up where I left off, I would have 9 sets of squats alone. 4 warmup and then the 5x5. This alone would take me 20 minutes! Then 3 sets of bench and another 3 of row. How can you do all of that in less than half an hour? I feel like I'm dying using the recommended rest periods. I can't imagine shortening them!
  • ajzoe
    ajzoe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is Stronglifts?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Good beginner program. 5 sets of 5 reps. Just 3 lifts per workout.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am doing something wrong because I don't see how it is mathematically possible to finish this workout in 20 minutes. I just pulled up the app. If I could pick up where I left off, I would have 9 sets of squats alone. 4 warmup and then the 5x5. This alone would take me 20 minutes! Then 3 sets of bench and another 3 of row. How can you do all of that in less than half an hour? I feel like I'm dying using the recommended rest periods. I can't imagine shortening them!

I agree with you. When you first start and have little to no warmups (*or if you're further along and don't warm up propertly/at all*), it COULD take 30 minutes. If you warm up properly and take proper rest periods, it probably takes longer than 30 minutes - especially if you've added in any accessory work.

Here's what I found that may work:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/get-fit-fast-your-30-minute-workout-plan.html

Or here's a 30 minute bodyweight workout:
    http://greatist.com/move/strength-and-cardio-circuit

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mouse_Potato
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks!

I made a typo earlier. I shouldn't have typed "3 sets of bench and another 3 of row." It's actually 2 warm-up sets plus the 5x5. So, 9 sets of squats followed by 7 sets of bench and then 7 sets of rows. Takes me a good 45 minutes, plus warm-up and cool down.

ETA: I am too old to skip warming up. There are some days the body just won't move the way it should. :)
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Max workouts.com. By Shin Ohtake....very good workout and under 30 minutes.....
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It didn't take me no longer then 30 minutes to finish however I didn't take the amount of time to rest in between sets as it stated. I didn't have long in the gym so my rest in between sets was shorter.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I solved my problem by setting up a home gym. As the weights have gone up, so have my rest periods. It can take me 30 minutes now just to finish my squats!