Bored munchies

Options
Alairissa
Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
How do you deal with the distraction/ bored/ doing work, munchies...?

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Beverages. Lots of beverages. I have a weekness for diet Coke and zero cal sparkling waters. They have the sweet taste, without calories. Might give me brain cancer, but obesity will kill me sooner. Sometimes I will portion out 100 cals of popcorn or chips or something crunchy/salty if I know I am going to want it (like when I have hormones). Dark chocolate is also my friend on fast days. And sometimes, when someone brings in something yummy, I will put it in a baggie for myself for the next day. That way I am never deprived, just postponing it a little. I hope this helps. :)
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @KateNkognito that does. :smile: any idea's for low calories food to munch on all day. Like something to pick at?
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite because you can flavor it so many ways. (just watch for hidden calories in the seasonings) Pringles chips are 10 calories per chip, so if you can space them out, 10 chips can last a while. Also, the snack isle often has 100 calorie portions of a lot of different types of snacks and I get ideas from there. I am NOT a fruit and veggie kinda gal (no wonder I have a big butt), but they are definitely a great option. I honestly try not to snack on fast days because it makes me hungrier. But, sometimes I just can't make it through without a snack... or two.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not much of a snacker as I'd rather have more food, like a piece of bread with peanut butter and it it while not sliced like when I was a kid. But I do like some granola bars that have seeds & cranberries & stuff in them for 140 cals. But a quick low cal picking type of snack I really like making up some celery & salmon cream cheese (lite) I love making up about 3 stalks then cut them into 3 pieces each for 9 yummy crunchy snacks.... My real fav is a bag of peanut m&m's.... But then again that's why I'm needing to do 5:2 now, so maybe don't get into those! :p
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My fall to is tea...I start with a large strong cup with little sugar, little milk (28cals) then I keep adding hot water to it, by lunch time I'm basically drinking hot water, but this helps keep my taste buds satisfied.

Hartleys Sugar Free jelly is also good, 8 calories for a pot.

And finally Werthers Original Sugar Free hard sweets, also 8 calories per sweet.
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Snacking is discouraged to get the full 5:2 effect. I will drink fluids, go for a walk, stand and stretch, or tidy up my work area. I employ visualization of what I will eat at the end of my day as a last resort. I try to keep in mind that hunger pangs are only temporary and I'll get a nice delicious meal when I get home. 99% of the time this works and I save those calories for dinner.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pickles are also a great snack. Super low in calories along with celery.
  • sarahmilner714
    sarahmilner714 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cream crackers and coffee helps me along as long as I don't have the crackers on my desk.
  • klmcneil1
    klmcneil1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If it's a fast day, I would second @dryheatfitness and say don't snack. Tea works for me. (I would recommend avoiding artificial sweeteners, since there's some good evidence that they can screw up your insulin and microbiome, and actually cause weight gain in some people.)

If you're just trying not to overeat on non- fast days, baby carrots and cherry tomatoes are great! Or (even better) just try to get yourself out of the habit of eating between meals.
  • scruffy1961
    scruffy1961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ahhh the bored hunger, the need to eat but not wanting the food. Good advice about waiting, but if you really need something 2 simple things 1. only keep good snacks near you (eg tic tacs, green tea low cal sweets), sometimes you just want a taste in your mouth and not the full belly 2 give yourself time to let it pass, I have been amazed at the number of times i have been starving, only to wait 15-20 min and the pang has passed. please be careful of diet drinks, I myself have pepsi max and only when desperate, all the research points at the effect it is having on insulin and insulin is one of the main chemicals, to effect our weight.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my issue is hunger, bored, or just peer pressure (hubs is a good cook)! I can't seem to eat only 500 on FD. I average, I think, around 700 cals or so. :/
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    megemrj I normally do 700-800 on FD but I do the 4:3 which suits my life better so maybe give that a go if 500 is a real struggle.